Oly Reads discussion

Assorted & Sundry > Librarything.com?

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Manek (new)

Manek Has anyone here tried librarything.com? It's a similar site. It advertises itself as being able to connect you with others who have "eerily similar" taste. Don't think you can do that on goodreads, except by comparing books with other users one at a time. (If I'm wrong, let me know...) It would be spooky to find people who'd read the same books and ranked them the same.

Manek

message 2: by Kate (new)

Kate I'm on LibraryThing and use it a lot. The thing I like about it is there are huge numbers of discussions with people from all over the world on just about every book you can think of. I can find a group who is reading the same author as me and discuss with them. I find it to be the best "social network" site for me. Yes, you can see other libraries like your own which does connect you with ideas etc, but I really think it's the discussions that I like most. I'm not sure if this url will work, but it's my LibraryThing page:
http://www.librarything.com/profile/e...

Kate

message 3: by Agathafrye (new)

Agathafrye | 751 comments Mod
I'm on Librarything too, but I haven't found it to be as fun as Goodreads. I like the way goodreads lets you pick books that you want to read or are in the process of reading. I always feel like I only need to catalog books I've already read on Librarything. I also like the interface on Goodreads better. I pretty much abandoned my profile, although I didn't delete it outright. Maybe I'll revisit it some day, although the idea of keeping two book sites up to date sounds unappealing. Here's my very incomplete profile...
http://www.librarything.com/profile/a...

message 4: by Kate (new)

Kate Hmmm, I agree with Kelsey about not being able to keep up on 2 sites. I don't keep my page up in GoodReads but use it for the connection to the book group. I think you just have to find your personal preference among sites and see what works for you. I find LibraryThing to be my most familiar and easiest.

By the way, I add books to LT and mark them "To Read" if I haven't yet read them. I also add books I don't actually own but borrow from the library and tag them "Library" or "Evergreen" depending on from where I checked them out.