Vampire Lovers! discussion

Let the Right One In

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Voigt | 9 comments Has anyone read Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist? (Låt den rätte komma in is the original Swedish title.) I recently finished it and thought it was amazingly powerful. I can't immediately think of another book I've read that had an ending that seemed so appropriate and right, and yet so bleak, all at the same time. Most of the characters were nuanced; no one was a flat, straight-up good guy or bad guy--even the bullies had their fears and motivations.

For those of you not familiar with it, the main plot thread is simple: Oskar is a schoolboy with a bully problem. He harbors revenge fantasies against the classmates who make his life hell. Then one night, a man and his young daughter move into Oskar's apartment building. Lonely Oskar befriends the lonely girl, Eli, even though she's a little strange. And she only comes out at night....

You can probably guess where this friendship is headed, but there are many complications and surprises along the way. Though the main characters are kids, I wouldn't suggest this book for kids; it deals with some adult themes and takes a long look into some dark places of the soul. But after I put it down, I couldn't help but think, man, that's what Twilight could have been, should have been.

ⓘsⓐbεℓℓⓐ Thats good

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (tarzanjanecats) Has any one seen the movie? I'm planning on seeing it Friday. Does the movie follow the book well?

message 4: by Rhiannon (new)

Rhiannon Frater (rhiannonfrater) | 2 comments I absolutely loved the movie. It was very powerful. I have yet to read the novel and I have heard that they had to snip out certain parts. But from those who have read the book and seen the movie, the film apparently keeps its powerful emotional impact.

I hope to read the book soon.

message 5: by Kate (new)

Kate (katespofford) I just saw it--finally! I thought it was really good. Creepy, yet with dark humor. The sound effects were interesting as well. I did not read the book, but this movie would be rated R in the U.S. if you are planning to see it.

message 6: by Gabrielle (new)

Gabrielle (GabrielleFaust) I still have not seen this but am DYING to!

message 7: by Rhiannon (new)

Rhiannon Frater (rhiannonfrater) | 2 comments It's absolutely amazing. I recommend it to everyone.

message 8: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Voigt | 9 comments I haven't seen the movie but everyone I know who has said it was fantastic.

Unfortunately, Hollywood has taken notice and plans to do an English-language remake. It will probably be sanitized and dumbed-down for broad consumption.