The Rory Gilmore Book Club discussion

Music, Movies, & Miscellany > Listening to ipod when hiking vs. taking a walk

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ed (new)

Ed | 48 comments On another thread it was brought up the whole whether people would watch tv while camping, etc. What about listening to an ipod when hiking...for some reason I've never done that but will always have an ipod when walking for exercise(if alone. Any thoughts/habits?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I definitely listen to music when I go for a run, because I can concentrate better on exercising then. I also always listen to music when I am on public transport, e.g. the bus home.
I normally don't listen to music when hiking, though.. But I guess that is mainly because when I am hiking, I am hiking with a group and I consider it pretty impolite to have headphones on when you are with someone else.

message 3: by Dottie (new)

Dottie  (oxymoronid) | 698 comments When out in true nature, I listen to nature's sounds. Flowing water, singing birds, buzzing insects -- it's all music equal to anything manmade IMO. Learned that from my father when I was a kid and I stick to it now, many years after losing him.

message 4: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker | 315 comments I listen to the iPod when I'm walking or on public transportation by myself. If I'm with someone, I don't put on the headphones because, as a former teacher of mine said, "The headphones mean that no one outside of them matters" and that kind of stuck with me.

If I were on a hike, I'd listen to natures sounds. I tried walking a few times to listen and think, but there weren't many nature-like sounds that I could hear. I would infinitely prefer hiking to get my exercise in though.

message 5: by Allie (new)

Allie (wwwgoodreadscomalliehackett) | 3 comments I listen to my ipod when I am hiking due to the fact that it helps me focus on the hike. It may seem odd, but I have been hiking all my life and sometimes the hikes can be awfully boring. But once we get to our destination, I take off the earphones and listen to nature. Another thing, I only put one headphone in my ear. That way if someone is talking to me...I can hear them and be listening to music.

message 6: by Robbie (new)

Robbie Bashore | 592 comments I *still* don't own an ipod!

Even if I did, I don't think I'd listen to one while walking or hiking. I like to be aware of what's going on around me. Either because I want to hear the sounds of nature, I want to converse with somebody, or I just want to feel more safe. I do, however, almost always have a song in my head that I may or may not be humming or singing out loud.

message 7: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 361 comments I listen only to Nature's Symphony while on a hike! :-)

message 8: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristilarson) I usually hike with someone, so no iPod. And it isn't very safe, anyway. You should be listening for other hikers and animals, falling rocks, etc.

message 9: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 283 comments Although I definitely love my i pod, when hiking, I want to be one with nature, not Devotchka. Also, although I'm without a dog right now, I'm generally with my dog while walking or hiking, and I tend to talk to my dog. I thought the i pod would be good for bike riding, but it only works on a bike trail. The i pod screens out traffic noise too well on surface streets!

message 10: by Ed (new)

Ed | 48 comments Nature's symphony sounds great. :)

message 11: by Angie (new)

Angie | 511 comments There is no way I would listen to an IPOD on a hike. I am big on outdoors I enjoy the sound of nature. On the other hand I wear an IPOD to the dentist so I can shut out that crazy noise in there~