Read a book from each country discussion

Asia > Iran

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by L (new)

L (not_ophelia) | 30 comments F.M. Esfandiary's Identity Card is touted by some reviews as a satire, though I'm told by someone I know from Iran that this is actually not a far exaggeration from the truth of what happens there.

message 2: by Carol (new)

Carol (zhelicarol) The Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi

message 3: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennyil) The Blood of Flowers by Anita Amirrezvani

message 4: by Ronan Noane (new)

Ronan Noane  K My Father's Notebook: A Novel of Iran
by Kader Abdolah

The writer moved to the Netherlands and wrote this book in Dutch. Lovely and catching story.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

This book isn't set in Iran but it is about an Iranian family that moved to America. The memoir is not only a good read about adapting but it is a funny read worth while.
Funny in Farsi A Memoir of Growing Up Iranian in America by فیروزه جزایری دوما / Firoozeh Jazayeri Dumas Funny in Farsi: A Memoir of Growing Up Iranian in America by فیروزه جزایری دوما / Firoozeh Jazayeri Dumas

message 8: by Arden (new)

Arden | 1 comments Lipstick Jihad: A Memoir of Growing Up Iranian in America And American in Iran I have never read a book that described so well what it feels like to be an immigrant and feel like an outsider in two worlds. The author came to California when she was a child and returned to Iran in the 90's as a journalist for Time magazine. I have been meaning to read her next memoir Honeymoon in Tehran: Two Years of Love and Danger in Iran too.

message 11: by Agata (last edited Dec 22, 2011 04:00AM) (new)

Agata (non-air) | 2 comments The Septembers of Shiraz by Dalia Sofer

Emma Deplores Goodreads Censorship (emmadeploresgoodreadscensorship) | 11 comments I second The Blood of Flowers especially, and also The Septembers of Shiraz.

message 14: by Daren (new)

Daren | 13 comments Anna wrote: "Mirrors of the Unseen: Journeys in Iran by Jason Elliot"

I think Jason Elliot is excellent. Liked this book, but liked An Unexpected Light: Travels in Afghanistan even more. Sorry, wrong thread, I know.