75 Books...More or Less! discussion

Archive (2009 Challenge) > Miss Vicki's Challenge 09

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ms. Vicki (last edited Feb 25, 2009 02:42AM) (new)

Ms. Vicki Smith 1. New Moon by Stephenie Meyer
This was my second time to read this book and it was even better this time. You can absolutely feel Bella's pain.

message 2: by Ms. Vicki (new)

Ms. Vicki Smith 2. Inkheart by Cornelia Funke
A good fantasy story with a lot of great characters. It's about Meggie and her father Mo who love to read and almost worship books. Mo has a magical ability to read characters out of books. The only bad thing is he doesn't have control of who comes out and some things/people from his world go into the books. This makes for a great adventure tale with the classic good against evil. I'm anxious to see what they do with the movie that's coming out soon.

3. My Robot Buddy by Alfred Slote
A small chapter book for ages 8 - 12 about a boy in the future that wants his parents to buy him a robot so he has a friend to play with. Nothing great but kids will probably like it.

message 3: by Karol (new)

Karol | 1776 comments Vicki, thanks for the comments about Inkheart. The preview for the movie really got my attention! I imagine it would be interesting (it usually is) to read the book and see the movie both.

message 4: by Ms. Vicki (new)

Ms. Vicki Smith 4. Eon: Dragoneye Reborn by Alison Goodman

I really enjoyed Eon. The main character Eona is well developed and very interesting. She has to pose as a boy to become one of the Dragoneye. There are many twists and turns for her and the story keeps you wanting to read more. I wish they could have put more of the dragons in the story. There will be another book, so I'm looking forward to reading it too. I would recommend it for older teens and adults because of some sexual references.

message 5: by Ms. Vicki (new)

Ms. Vicki Smith 5. Chasing Yesterday: #3 Truth by Robin Wasserman

This was the third book in a series I started last year. All three were very good: #1 Awakening and #2 Betrayed. They are about a girl (JD for Jane Doe) who wakes up in a hospital and can't remember who she is. JD starts having bad dreams and she feels like she is in danger. They put her in a place like a county orphanage, and she soon realizes she must escape to find out about her past. She also discovers she has a hidden talent that terrifies her. JD can move things with her mind, and she is very powerful. There are people who want her for her special abilities. Does she want to know the truth or not??

message 6: by Ms. Vicki (new)

Ms. Vicki Smith 6. Eat This Not That: Supermarket Survival Guide by David Zinczenko

This was one of the best books on good eating. It was really simple to read and had some great advice on what to buy in the supermarket. Everyone who cares about what you and your family eat should read this book.

message 7: by Ms. Vicki (new)

Ms. Vicki Smith 7. Small Steps by Louis Sachar
This books is a sequal to Holes which was a great book and a good movie. I had high hopes for Small Steps, but was really disappointed. I thought it was an ok story, but it had a simplistic plot, the characters were boring, and the story was predictable. Oh well... on to the next book. :)

message 8: by Ms. Vicki (new)

Ms. Vicki Smith 8. Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
I gave this book 5 stars. It was one of the best sci-fi's I've read in quite awhile. It will reach multi-generations. The story and the characters really draw you in. I listened to it, but will buy the book and read it next time. Can't wait for book 2, which I think comes out in September.

9. The Last Kingdom by Bernard Cornwell - 4 stars
A very good historical novel. Just a bit slow in the beginning. The first in a trilogy and sets the stage for the others. If you like historical fiction set in Great Brittan, like I do, you will like this one about a boy caught between two cultures.

message 9: by Susan (new)

Susan I agree with you 100% on Hunger Games. I have lent my copy to three other people so far and it has gotten rave reviews from all of them. It's so hard to wait for the next book! It's would be nice to discover a series or trilogy after they have all been written so you can read them back-to-back.

message 10: by Meghanly (new)

Meghanly | 253 comments I knew you would like Hunger Games!!! Love love love it. Here's to the 2nd book countdown! :)

message 11: by Ms. Vicki (new)

Ms. Vicki Smith 10. Persuasion by Jane Austin - 3 stars
I know some Austin fans will think Im crazy for only giving this classic love story three stars, but I just didn't think it was as good as Pride and Prejudice.

message 12: by Ms. Vicki (last edited Mar 10, 2009 01:25PM) (new)

Ms. Vicki Smith 11. Richard Wright and the Library Card by William Miller - 4 stars
A great picture book story of the author who wrote Native Son and autobiography Black Boy in the early 1900's. It would be a good to read aloud for kids about a young black boy who wants to read so bad, but isn't allow a library card.

message 13: by Ms. Vicki (new)

Ms. Vicki Smith 12. Decadent Deceptions by Keta Diablo - 3 stars
This was the first ebook I've read. It was a good story, if you're in the mood for a steamy romance. I don't read many of them, but once in awhile it's ok.

message 14: by Ms. Vicki (last edited Mar 15, 2009 02:55PM) (new)

Ms. Vicki Smith 13. The Host by Stephanie Meyer 4 stars
This really was an excellent story and very unusual. The Earth is taken over by aliens and transforming humans into something new. It wasn't quite as good as Twilight, in my opinion, but still worth reading.

message 15: by Meghanly (new)

Meghanly | 253 comments Miss Vicki wrote: "13. The Host by Stephanie Meyer 4 stars
This really was an excellent story and very unusual. The Earth is taken over by aliens and transforming humans into something new. It wasn't quite as good ..."

I LOVED The Host!! I actually did think it was better than Twilight (how many people are going to yell at me for that one?? :)

message 16: by Ms. Vicki (new)

Ms. Vicki Smith :-D That's ok. If we were all the same this site would be BORING.

message 17: by Susan (last edited Mar 16, 2009 03:21PM) (new)

Susan Miss Vicki wrote: ":-D That's ok. If we were all the same this site would be BORING. "

I have to say I liked The Host better than Twilight but it might be because I prefer science fiction to paranormal romance. I might like hot fudge sundaes better than strawberry shortcake, but they are both pretty darned good!!!!!!

message 18: by Ms. Vicki (new)

Ms. Vicki Smith You can say that again. I'll take either. LOL

message 19: by Ms. Vicki (new)

Ms. Vicki Smith #14. Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Demigod Files by Rick Riordan - 4 stars
This is a great addition to the Percy Jackson series. I highly recommend it if you've read the series.

message 20: by Ms. Vicki (new)

Ms. Vicki Smith 15. Dream of Me (audio book)
A good romance, but nothing special. It was fun to listen to.

message 21: by Ms. Vicki (new)

Ms. Vicki Smith I've been a little slow with my reading lately, had company, been to a library conference and starting an at home business.

message 22: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (shereadsindie) Miss Vicki wrote: "8. Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
I gave this book 5 stars. It was one of the best sci-fi's I've read in quite awhile. It will reach multi-generations. The story and the characters really draw ..."

I dont read Sci-fi books, but a friend recommended this book to me & I just finished it tonight & it was amazing! I am also excited about the 2nd book coming out in Sept!

message 23: by Ms. Vicki (new)

Ms. Vicki Smith I totally agree Jess. I can't wait for the second book also.

message 24: by Karol (new)

Karol | 1776 comments Miss Vicki wrote: "I've been a little slow with my reading lately, had company, been to a library conference and starting an at home business. "

Wow, Miss Vicki - you certainly have been busy. What kind of home business have you started?

message 25: by Ms. Vicki (new)

Ms. Vicki Smith It's called "@ Home Pet Care". I go to peoples' home and take care of their animals while they are on vacation. I love animals, so I think I will enjoy it. It's an empty nest thing for me...must keep busy. :)
I'm working on a website.

www.vickisathomepetcare.com

message 26: by Meghanly (new)

Meghanly | 253 comments Wow Vicki! I am so impressed with your website!! Did you design it yourself? I am trying to design one for my husband's construction business but am having a hard time finding an easy-to-use and affordable way to do it.

message 27: by Ms. Vicki (new)

Ms. Vicki Smith Thanks Meghan, I used a website called Homestead. It does a lot of the designing for you, for only $4.99 a month plus $2 if you want a www address. I thought that was pretty reasonable. Here's the link

https://www.homestead.com/

Good Luck!