A Song of Ice & Fire Fans discussion

Game OF Thrones HBO Series

Comments Showing 1-50 of 70 (70 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Dave (new)

Dave | 3 comments The pilot is scheduled to be filmed soon... any casting ideas? If anyone does this justice it'll be HBO...

message 2: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (loderkelly) | 4 comments Oh wow!!!! I think this will be a complex series for them to capture. I hope they can do it justice.

message 3: by John Behnken (new)

John Behnken | 12 comments No idea about who is slated for the cast, but I must say - Patrick Stewart would make an ideal Tywin Lannister.

And how about Timothy Dalton for Ned Stark?

John

message 4: by E.J. (new)

E.J. (robo) | 2 comments I would love to see Patrick McGoohan as Tywin, although he might be too old now. He was the bomb playing the King in Braveheart. Nasty.

message 5: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 05, 2010 10:45AM) (new)

I'm relieved that this got picked up as an HBO series before someone tried to make a film.

message 6: by Allen, Warden of the Northwest (last edited Apr 04, 2009 04:15PM) (new)

Allen Allen (audiovore) | 71 comments Mod
I just found this great blog about the upcoming series: http://winter-is-coming.blogspot.com/

Apparently the pilot will start filming in October in Ireland.

A Game of Thrones

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

http://grrm.livejournal.com/84893.html

Official announcement by Martin.

message 8: by Denise (new)

Denise | 3 comments Peter Dinklage as Tyrion!! http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/c...

message 9: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 05, 2010 10:45AM) (new)

Denise wrote: "Peter Dinklage as Tyrion!!

Yes! He is pefect for that role.

message 10: by John Behnken (new)

John Behnken | 12 comments Agreed!

message 11: by Matt (new)

Matt | 10 comments Agreed. Looking forward to hearing more casting news in the near future!

message 12: by Dave (new)

Dave | 3 comments I think the announcement of the director is just as important as Dinkalage... McCarthy is a huge signing! Everyone go out and watch the Visitor and The Station Agent, amazing director...

message 13: by Denise (new)

Denise | 3 comments Looks like casting is under way... :)

http://grrm.livejournal.com/90493.html

message 14: by Eowyn (new)

Eowyn Winchester (ewinchester) Denise wrote: "Looks like casting is under way... :)

http://grrm.livejournal.com/90493.html
"

George R.R. Martin is my hero for posting that.
I haven't laughed that hard in ages.

I have to say, I'll be sincerely disappointed if Peter Dinklage doesn't do Tyrion. I just don't think anybody else could do such a character justice.

How about Lena Headey as Catelyn? Especially remembering her role in 300, I think she'd do a great job. I'd say Viggo Mortensen as Ned, but I don't think I could bear to watch his death.

I'm kind of curious to see who they pick for Cersei. I can't think of anyone who could really fit the role.

message 15: by Lia (new)

Lia (bastet) | 8 comments in like 2003 (i think) my friends and i geeked out all summer about casting the movie/cable miniseries (we felt sure it would have to be a cable show, couldn't capture it in a movie) - and i even geeked out so far as to make a website with our choices.

check it out if you're interested! some of the choices are too old now - or dead, we need someone else for robb stark :( but still cool, if i may say so myself ;)

http://wightsvsdragons.tripod.com/id1...

~ lia

message 17: by Matt (new)

Matt | 10 comments I read about that as a rumor a few days ago. Awesome awesome casting. It makes me even more excited about this series.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

I cheered when I saw that!
Hopefully more news is on the way.

message 19: by William (new)

William (wilbarr17) So this is what we know so far:

Director--Tom McCarthy
Screenplay--David Benioff & D.B. Weiss

And the confirmed casting so far is:

Tyrion Lannister--Peter Dinklage

Eddard Stark--Sean Bean
Jon Snow--Kit Harington

Robert Baratheon--Mark Addy
Joffrey Baratheon--Jack Gleeson

Viserys Targaryen--Harry Lloyd

message 20: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Gagnon (saliana) | 3 comments John wrote: "No idea about who is slated for the cast, but I must say - Patrick Stewart would make an ideal Tywin Lannister.John"

WOW- You read my mind! Then again, Patrick Stewart could possibly play ALL of the parts well... LOL

message 21: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Gagnon (saliana) | 3 comments William wrote: "So this is what we know so far:
Jon Snow--Kit Harington "

Really? Who is Kit Harington? Kit Harrington the actress is, well, a WOMAN!

message 22: by Matt (new)

Matt | 10 comments He's an unknown from what I hear. Hasn't been in anything yet.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Matt wrote: "He's an unknown from what I hear. Hasn't been in anything yet."

He's done a lot in theater.

message 24: by Dave (new)

Dave | 3 comments Ainulindale wrote: "Matt wrote: "He's an unknown from what I hear. Hasn't been in anything yet."

He's done a lot in theater.

"

Looks just like Jon Snow if you ask me...

message 25: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Gagnon (saliana) | 3 comments Dave wrote: He's done a lot in theater."
Looks just like Jon Snow if you ask me..."

Can someone find me a link? All I get is Kit Harrington the actress, and a few random's with the same name who look NOTHING like him...

message 26: by Matt (new)

Matt | 10 comments Courtesy of Martin's blog:

Casting News

message 27: by William (new)

William (wilbarr17) Sarah wrote: "Dave wrote: He's done a lot in theater."
Looks just like Jon Snow if you ask me..."

Can someone find me a link? All I get is Kit Harrington the actress, and a few random's with the same name who l..."

http://www.towerofthehand.com/blog/20...

message 28: by Allen, Warden of the Northwest (new)

Jennifer Ehle has been cast as Catelyn. Apparently she is best known as Elizabeth Bennet from BBC's Pride and Prejudice series, which I have considered watching... There is a pic on GRRM's blog.

message 29: by Zala (new)

Zala | 7 comments Jennifer was great in Pride and Prejudice. With lighter hair, she looks exactly like I imagined Catelyn to look. A great choice.

message 30: by Zala (new)

Zala | 7 comments Lia wrote: "in like 2003 (i think) my friends and i geeked out all summer about casting the movie/cable miniseries (we felt sure it would have to be a cable show, couldn't capture it in a movie) - and i even g..."

Haha, I really like Renee Zellweger as Lisa Tully, I don't know why. :D

message 31: by Eowyn (new)

Eowyn Winchester (ewinchester) I have to say, I'm pleased with the casting so far. Sean Bean was the best choice they could have possibly made- I adored him in Lord of the Rings. I don't know much about Jennifer Ehle, but I have to say I pictured Catelyn differently in my mind. Ah well, as long as she can do the part!

message 32: by Stephanie (last edited Aug 10, 2009 08:58PM) (new)

Stephanie | 129 comments Prabha wrote: " I don't know much about Jennifer Ehle"

She was really good in the BBC Pride and Prejudice from 1995 - I am stoked she signed on!

I am willing to keep my HBO package just for this show... Is it still uncertain that HBO will pick it up, or does casting mean that it is a definite go?

message 33: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 2 comments Stephanie wrote: "Prabha wrote: " I don't know much about Jennifer Ehle"

She was really good in the BBC Pride and Prejudice from 1995 - I am stoked she signed on!

I am willing to keep my HBO package just for this ..."

It hasn't yet been confirmed that HBO will for sure pick up the series, but it is looking very likely. Especially with all the buzz generated by the Winter is Coming blog and the Westeros forums.

I know one thing, though. HBO is killing us on the WiC blogs by not giving us anymore casting info! And GRRM just keeps dropping hints to further torture everybody. lol He's such a monster of inhuman cruelty. xD

message 34: by Zala (new)

Zala | 7 comments Oh, I hate hate hate the new actors that were selected. Theon looks like Joffrey to me, Dany is just WRONG (someone playing Katherine Howard just can't be a Dany - those are two so different roles it hurts) and Jamie is far too rough and much less pretty than he should be - he might work with this look after he loses his hand, but before? No. Let's just hope that all the different sort of stylists change them so they will be at least a little like their characters and that they cann pull of the acting. :(

message 35: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 2 comments I totally disagree, Zala. I think they're all great choices, including Merchant. Though I know there are quite a few mixed reviews on her as Dany, she has a bit of an elfin look to her which goes well with my idea of Dany and her exotic features. And you can't very well judge her role as Dany based on a completely different character that she played. I can't comment on her acting skills as Katherine since I haven't seen it (yet), but GRRM seemed very pleased with her readings in the audition, so I guess we're just gonna have to trust him until we see her in the pilot.

I can't wait until the next casting announcement. I've been very happy with the choices so far. :)

message 36: by John Behnken (new)

John Behnken | 12 comments Don't judge the actors based on look. Give them a chance to play the character before you decide they're the wrong choice.

message 37: by Evan (new)

Evan I'd agree, the guy is an awesome actor with an incredible range who could play many of the characters. Funny, when reading the books I always pictured Patrick Stewart as the wise and caring old Maester Luwin.

Patrick Stewart could possibly play ALL of the parts well... LOL

message 38: by Allen, Warden of the Northwest (new)

I think Illyrio will be the hardest to get use to lookwise. I always pictured him as an flamboyant & olive-skinned Persian.

message 39: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) Allen,

GRRM just announced that casting a few days ago on his blog:

http://grrm.livejournal.com/116814.html

message 40: by Allen, Warden of the Northwest (new)

Yeah, I saw that, which is why I think it will be hard.

message 41: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 1113 comments I am so excited that HBO is doing this series. Does anyone know when it comes out besides 2010?

message 42: by Matt (new)

Matt | 10 comments Well they haven't even finished the pilot as far as I know so I'm guessing second half of 2010.

message 43: by Allen, Warden of the Northwest (new)

Yeah, it'll be a week or two till there done with the pilot. Then probably a month or so on post. Then it has to go to the execs for approval. So fall 2010 is the absolute best to expect. Although I wouldn't be completely surprised if they held off till 2011 to air it with a heavy hitter like True Blood.

message 44: by Allen, Warden of the Northwest (new)

So it looks like HBO will see a [rough:] pilot by the end of the month hopefully(and with any luck perhaps us pyrates). And HBO programming chief Michael Lombardo said:

"If all goes well, Game of Thrones will be on HBO in spring 2011 -- March or April.

I would be surprised if it doesn't [get greenlit:], It has everything going for it."

Tower of The Hand via The Live Feed

message 45: by Tim (new)

Tim | 4 comments As much as I like them using new people. I disagree with at least 3/4 of the picks. Love Tamzin Merchant as Dany, love Sean Bean as Ned, love Tyrion's actor (can't remember his name atm), like Robert and Draago's actor. Everybody else must be recast IMO

I would cast Tricia Helfer as Cersei, Michelle Forbes as Cat and Craig Horner as Jaime

message 46: by Allen, Warden of the Northwest (new)

My only casting grievances are Ilyrio, and Tryion. I always envisioned Ilyrio as Persian/Middle Eastern, and Dinklage is considerably older than Tryion, and while vertically challenged, not nearly as 'hideous' as Tyrion is described. Tyrion, possibly both, may have been fixed in makeup tho.

Apparently there is also a movie in the works for "The Skin Trade", which is a werewolf novella by GRRM, appearing only(so far as I could tell) in Dark Visions(an anthology). Guess I need to try to find one to give it a quick read, at least the GRRM story, don't care for King too much.

message 47: by Chris (last edited Feb 21, 2010 06:54PM) (new)

Chris  (haughtc) Allen, there are two collections that I know of that have "The Skin Trade" as well as the one you mentioned:

Quartet: Four Tales from the Crossroads & Dreamsongs: Volume II.

Also, both Dreamsongs volumes make up the extremely rare GRRM: A RRetrospective, so that would have it too.

Quartet Four Tales from the Crossroads by George R.R. Martin Dreamsongs Volume II by George R.R. Martin GRRM A RRetrospective (Trade Hardcover) by George R.R. Martin

message 48: by Allen, Warden of the Northwest (new)

Sweet, that'll make for better accompaniment than King and Simmons.

message 49: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Ford | 2 comments HBO gives Game Of Thrones the greelight.

http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.c...

message 50: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 1113 comments noooo....not another year. :(

« previous 1