Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Parentheses in titles are buggy...

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melissa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:02PM) (new)

Melissa (mahart) | 6 comments I just tried to write a review for (george) by E.L. Konigsburg and I can't get the book page to open. I can see the title in the list of all her books but I think there's something buggy about the parentheses. Could someone fix this so we can comment on this kooky book? Thanks.

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:02PM) (new)

rivka | 36301 comments Mod
The bad news is that being a librarian won't help with editing -- Otis is going to need to fix it.

The good news is there are two editions without the parentheses (and therefore no problem), and I was able to combine the three editions.

message 3: by Lisa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:02PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2400 comments Melissa & Rivka,

Still buggy. I went to George by E. L. Konigsburg and saw the 3 combined edition book, with the one in parentheses showing. But clicking on either the top book or the 3 edtions gets me this page:

File not found
We couldn't find the file you requested. Please check the url and try again.

EDIT: P.S. Plus now there's 3 more editions (the same ones?) showing:

http://www.goodreads.com/search/searc...

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:02PM) (new)

It looks like someone tried to add the book again.

Three times. >_<

message 5: by Lisa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:02PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2400 comments I went to Amazon and it's in the parentheses. Wonder if someone added it without? Or changed the title, if we could get to the book.

message 6: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:03PM) (new)

Looks like. The software interprets items in parenthesis as not being the title, but descriptions. Which means this book is interpreted as not having a title (I think), and that confuses the software.

message 7: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:04PM) (new)

However, while you cannot open the book page, it looks like you can get to the review page. Link

message 8: by Lisa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:04PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2400 comments Rivka, How bizarre. But good to know for those who have read the book and want to rate or rate & review it.

Wonder if this book should be added without parentheses, even though that would make it an incorrect title, vs. Goodreads trying to change something that might be more complicated. Maybe it could be merged with all the correct titles at least?

message 9: by Otis, Chief Architect (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:04PM) (new)

Otis Chandler | 315 comments Mod
Thanks for catching that, and sorry about the kink! We had assumed all book titles had some text beyond the parenthesis, which was a bad assumption.

Its fixed now anyways.

http://www.goodreads.com/search/searc...

message 10: by Melissa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:04PM) (new)

Melissa (mahart) | 6 comments Thanks! I knew that the book title was correct with the parens AND that they were probably what was flummoxing the database. Thanks, Otis, for fixing it so that we don't have to use a workaround with an inaccurate title. You rock!