The Rory Gilmore Book Club discussion

Nominations & Voting > How would you like to vote?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alison, the guru of grace (last edited Jan 01, 2009 12:34PM) (new)

Alison | 1282 comments Mod
I just did some back-reading regarding the voting process. It seems that we started out nominating ten books (yikes!) then went to one with a synopsis of why we wanted it, then to six books, then finally to three books.

What are everyone's thoughts on voting? Is nominating three more fair, or more complicated? Be honest...I won't take it personally. I just thought we'd try to figure out what suits everyone best.

So, do you want to stick with voting for three books, ranking them according to your preference, or would you like to take a month and try voting for one nominated book via a poll (the nominating process wouldn't change.)?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I think the poll voting would make it a lot easier, although it is hard to pick one book.
Recently, I've seen in another group that they put up 2 polls with exactly the same books, so that everyone had 2 votes. If we want to stick with 3 votes, maybe that would be a way to combine the 3 votes with the poll voting?
It's only a suggestion, though, it would be ok for me to have only one vote.

message 3: by Angie (new)

Angie | 512 comments Personally I think whatever is easier for the moderator to do is fine with me! Whatever the majority wants is what wins in each poll right?

message 4: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth I agree with Angie about doing whatever is easiest for the moderator. I do like the polling feature though because you can see immediately what people are picking in a consolidated manner (some of us need that kind of instant gratification). I would like to stick with the current method of having three nominations per person, but when it's time to vote there should only be one choice per person.

message 5: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabethhte) | 19 comments I like the current process, but I'd be happy for the moderators to change it if the current process is more cumbersome than they would like.

message 6: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hmatkins) Perhaps we could do kind of a compromise. Like have the nominations be the same, but have the voting be in a poll. but I'm up for anything....

message 7: by Dini, the master of meaning (new)

Dini | 691 comments Mod
I'm cool with nominating three books as we have done, and trying out the voting in the poll this time. We'll see what works best. And I agree, it should be easier for the moderator.

message 8: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

whichwaydidshego | 1996 comments Mod
I'm not sure if I should vote, being a moderator, but I really like the three vote thing. Mostly because then you have more of a chance that one of yours will be selected. I suppose I could continue doing it so that we could keep that up. But to give a little background, a few people quit participating if nothing they were interested in was getting votes early on... and I'd hate to see that. I mean, I like change very much... but I like participation far more.

message 9: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

The other possibility is to eliminate the nomination process and go straight to voting since we have a limited list these days and and every-other-month process with classics and modern. That might work really well.

message 10: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

And eliminate some big steps for us moderators!

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Voting directly sounds actually pretty good, but I always had the impression that the nominations gave you moderators a chance to check if the books nominated were chosen correctly. I mean, it became a lot easier since you put up that really great thread with the voting lists, but if we do a theme month, it might still be causing problems.
(Doesn't mean I am against your proposal.. only a thought.)

message 12: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabethhte) | 19 comments I like the three vote thing, too. I think your point that it encourages more people to vote is a good one.

whichwaydidshego? wrote: "I'm not sure if I should vote, being a moderator, but I really like the three vote thing. Mostly because then you have more of a chance that one of yours will be selected. I suppose I could conti..."