sistv bookworms discussion

Your target for 2009!

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rhi (new)

Rhi | 76 comments Mod
i'm going with 40 this year :)

again, a target is not needed, but if you do want to challenge yourself, this is a good way of making it public.

message 2: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 36 comments 26! I figure it's a book every 2 weeks so it shouldn't be too hard.

message 3: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 1 comments 52.....
One a week. I think I am fairly close to this number anyways, but I think it would be fun to actually keep track.

message 4: by Emilie (new)

Emilie (emilieahern) My goal is 12.

I have never quite figured out how to incorporate reading into my daily life since becoming a Mom and I am just starting to try and get back in the habit.

I would be happy with one per month.

message 5: by Allison (new)

Allison i'm going to try for 50 again.
i came so close- 48.
i think i can manage 2 more.

message 6: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (audneal) I haven't fully decided on a number this year. In fact, I may not set a number at all. I had a goal of 200 for 2008, and ended up with 198 books read. At times, though, I felt like I was reading just to hit my goal and not fully enjoying it, although reading every single day has been a habit of mine for years now.

I think that this year one of my main goals is to make sure I read at least 8 books from *MY* bookshelves (my own personal to-be-read piles) before any new books come in to the house.

So that's what I'll do -- 8 per month -- for a total of 96.

message 7: by Rhi (new)

Rhi | 76 comments Mod
Audrey wrote: "I haven't fully decided on a number this year. In fact, I may not set a number at all. I had a goal of 200 for 2008, and ended up with 198 books read. At times, though, I felt like I was reading ju..."

yes, i hear you audrey. that was the worst about be literature degree, reading because you HAD to, and not because you wanted too.

and i'm with you on the buying no books until the ones i havn't read are read.
we'll just ignore the twilight set i just ordered ;)

message 8: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 36 comments Audrey and Rhi, you both are making me want to edit my goal and say that 13 (half) of my books must be for fun! I am at a really alternative school and we read and write for every class, no exams or anything, just reading and writing. While I enjoy that, it gets tiring when everything you read is serious and/or for school. So I want to read the Sookie Stackhouse series this year (which is another detail of my goal) because it should be a light read compared to the books I will have for school.

message 9: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (weebbt) | 3 comments Audrey: 198 books? Holy cow!

I'm going with 26 - I like the one every two weeks thing. I tried for 50 last year and managed 38. My thinking is that if I go over my goal I will be supremely happy. ;)

message 10: by Rhi (new)

Rhi | 76 comments Mod
Jamie wrote: "Audrey and Rhi, you both are making me want to edit my goal and say that 13 (half) of my books must be for fun! I am at a really alternative school and we read and write for every class, no exams o..."

i definitely think they should be, sweets!
i graduate last june, and for at least a month i just couldn't face reading ANYthing.
now its back to pleasure reading, which is the best :)

message 11: by Jeffsgirl (new)

Jeffsgirl | 5 comments Im gonna go for 50 this year. im not really sure how many i read last year so this outta be interesting :)

message 12: by Jocelynne (new)

Jocelynne Broderick I'll just be doing what I did last year Rhi. That worked. And I think I can get a more accurate number on here too. :D

melanie (lit*chick) | 9 comments Mod
I agree with Audrey - setting a number can be a trap, but I do have a lot of books on my to-read list and on my shelves that need some attention. I'll go with 100 for a number, but I'd like to read at least 2 a month that are on my list :)

melanie (lit*chick) | 9 comments Mod
Don't forget - there's no "failure" here if you don't meet your goal...the average person reads less than 4 books per year! I'm just glad to know so many bookworms.

message 15: by Jocelynne (new)

Jocelynne Broderick Good point! Once we were at my BIL's house and my oldest says "where are all their books?" It was completely inconceivable that people don't have books laying around like we do! ha ha ha

I think I ended up with 30 or so for last year. Starting in the middle of the year. That's pretty darn good!

message 16: by Staci (new)

Staci mellymel wrote: "Don't forget - there's no "failure" here if you don't meet your goal...the average person reads less than 4 books per year! I'm just glad to know so many bookworms."

Thanks for that info Melly!! Makes me feel a lot better about not making my goals!!!

message 17: by Staci (new)

Staci I'm not going to make a # goal this year. I've signed up for a bunch of different challenges and there are some intimidating, not to mention chunky books on my lists. I'll just be happy to read those!!

have fun!!

message 18: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (audneal) Staci wrote: "I'm not going to make a # goal this year. I've signed up for a bunch of different challenges and there are some intimidating, not to mention chunky books on my lists. I'll just be happy to read tho..."

Which challenges are you doing, Staci? I've been looking around at some different ones, but not sure that anything has caught my eye yet.

message 19: by Staci (new)

Staci Audrey wrote: "Staci wrote: "I'm not going to make a # goal this year. I've signed up for a bunch of different challenges and there are some intimidating, not to mention chunky books on my lists. I'll just be hap..."

2009 Pub Challenge
Winter Reading Challenge
2009 YA Reading Challenge
Unshelved Reading Challenge
2009 Read Your Own Books Challenge
What's In a Name Reading Challenge
and 3 groups here on Goodreads

Sistv bookworms
The Next Best Book Club
Constant Reader

for the links go to my blog and they're all listed on the right hand side.

www.lifeinthethumb.blogspot.com

message 20: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Hopkins  (kylissa) | 7 comments I am going to try for 20 books a year- I have to read so many children's books a year but I want to try 20 grown up books!

message 21: by Renae (new)

Renae (renaeclark) | 58 comments Hi there! I've set a goal of 50 for 2009. I'm off to look at some of the challenges from your site Staci. Renae

message 22: by Angela (new)

Angela (angelaspangela) I'm going to go for 150.

I've already started *and* finished one. Only 149 to go!

message 23: by *Lee* (new)

*Lee* ummmmm I am going to go with 20 and hopefully surprise myself....
I am reading books I have on hand mainly so I am not allowed to buy anything new until those are read. But I am allowing myself to borrow from the library when I can to keep up with the group list!!

message 24: by *Lee* (last edited Jan 02, 2009 03:29PM) (new)

*Lee* Emilie wrote: "My goal is 12.

I have never quite figured out how to incorporate reading into my daily life since becoming a Mom and I am just starting to try and get back in the habit.

I would be happy wi..."

This is me too!!! I had actually not read a book since our house renos were started despite my best intentions. Then a friend gave me a few books and I found where I had put my stash of unread books after the renos were done so I had to work my way back into it again - which is stupid because I LOVE READING!!!!
So I am now reading most nights before sleeping for even just a few minutes - I have been doing this for the last couple of months and have been surprised how much I can get through! And then I also grab my book when I can - it is so lovely to find one of my fave activities again!

message 25: by Angela (new)

Angela (angelaspangela) Waiting rooms are the best time for reading - I brought my car in to be looked at on Monday and I was waiting for about 45 minutes and I *might* have gone crazy if not for my book!

If you have your hair cut - bring a book. I find that I've read all the magazines they have and that I don't really want to chit-chat with the stylist about gossip 'n such so a book passes the time.

message 26: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (kelly_l) Errr...I'm so afraid of setting a target cuz then if I fail, I'll beat myself up. I would really like to read at least 2 books a month so I'll say 24. That's low and easy right? Plus, it's a good tv show too! hehehe

message 27: by Marlies (last edited Jan 03, 2009 05:36AM) (new)

Marlies (marliese) HI all!! :))

My goal for last year was 30. Although I lost track a bit, I think I came close.
I am trying for 35 this year!!

xoxo
Marliese

message 28: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1 comments I didn't do this last year, but want to join in this time around and I'll go with a goal of 40 books. I've already got one under my belt already so 39 more to go!

message 29: by Heather (new)

Heather (heathercollins) I'm going to stick with 30 like I did last year. I almost met it and only started half way through the year. I really like the idea of having our bookworm group on her. I read a lot more than I scrap lately so I'm more likely to check in here.

message 30: by Sara (new)

Sara (saraberry) | 1 comments Oh, I don't know...I always suck at goals like this. This year I have decided to just KEEP UP with the books I read in a journal and I will be putting in my 'review' notes there, too. It is sort of like a diary of what I have read for the year. I am going to do that with movies, too. I just think it will be something cool to look back at and see what I read and what I thought about it. I will post a photo on my blog of my journal...

message 31: by Melbg (new)

Melbg | 16 comments My goal for this year is 20.
Last year's goal was far too high and, in addition to the Sistv monthly book, I am planning on reading some long books (like Follett, World without end and Kate Mosse, Sepulchre).
Can't wait...

message 32: by Kate (new)

Kate I read 33 in 2008.
So I'm going for one more this year: 34 books.

Have my eye on several Pulitzer Prize winners and a few others that have been gathering dust on my shelves. Need to read them so I can swap them out on bookmooch!!

message 33: by gabrielle (last edited Jan 06, 2009 11:50AM) (new)

gabrielle (gabbe) | 8 comments i read slowly, but I'm pretty sure i can read at least 15 books this year! Currently, I'm reading 2 books at the same time! A collection of short stories and a novel, and i kind of go back & forth between them. I can't wait to start our group reads, and am excited to be here with you all!

message 34: by heather (new)

heather fuentes (metrochic) | 2 comments i am only going to say 15 for the year. i feel like i will certainly exceed this number but i don't want to not meet any goals i set for myself this year. it's all about truly enjoying what i'm doing in '09! yay!

message 35: by Elke (new)

Elke Ursin | 5 comments My goal is going to be 15 books too. I can't even imagine actually reading a book a week! With my full time day job and my second full time job with the Etsy store, free time is only the minutes before I drift to sleep... One of my books for the year will be the new translation of War and Peace. I really love that story!

message 36: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 20 comments I'm going to shoot for 24 this year. Life always has a way of showing up, but I'm hoping to manage at least 2 a month.

message 37: by Susan (last edited Feb 25, 2009 03:26AM) (new)

Susan (ladymisssusan) | 19 comments I'm going to shoot for 30. I've already finished The Shack for this year so I only have 29 more to go. I've also made the vow to not buy any books until I have read the ones that I have bought or already borrowed!

message 38: by Staci (new)

Staci Susan wrote: "I'm going to shoot for 30. I've already finished The Shack for this year so I only have 29 more to go. I've also made the vow to not buy any books until I have read the ones that I have bought or..."

Good Luck Susan! I keep telling that to myself every time I go to the library!! I must stop but don't know how!!

message 39: by Krystal (new)

Krystal | 4 comments Im going to try to do 30 i have been reading one per 2 weeks so hopefully i can fit in a few more

message 40: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 36 comments Hey! How is everyone doing on their goals so far?
I'm at 4.5 of 26 so I'm ahead of the game, which is a rarity for me. I will be finished with this book by Tuesday the latest.

message 41: by *Lee* (new)

*Lee* I am at 5 of 20 so I am stoked with how I am doing so far (part way through Pride & Prejudice AND Friday Night Knitting club - FNKC is due back at the library on Tuesday so I am reading it and then will go back to P&P).
I am hoping I can keep up this momentum - reading IS the new crack....(*ha*)

message 42: by Angela (new)

Angela (angelaspangela) I'm at 21/150.
I slowed down over February and most of March. I'm hoping to keep at the pace I'm at. Or at least do a book every two weeks. Once I start my summer job, whatever that may be, I'm not sure what my reading time will be like.

message 43: by Chris Aiton (new)

Chris Aiton I'm a little late to this group but I am reading all the comments and trying to catch up. In 2008 I read 95 books and so far this year I have read 27. My basic goal this year is 80 but I want to read The Brothers Karamozov, Brideshead Revisited, and Anna Karenina; and I don't think they will go nearly as fast as most of the contemporary books that i read.

message 44: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (audneal) I think I'm at 35 or 36 out of 96. What I'm really excited about, though, is that I'm making great progress through my bookshelves. I'm really focusing on books that I've had sitting around the house for a while, and that's going well, so I'm excited. I've come across some great ones and I've been kicking myself for waiting so long to read them, you know?