The Prestige The Prestige discussion

ending

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maggie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:00PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Maggie don't read the ending right before you go to bed...it's a bit unsettling.

message 2: by Brandon (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:01PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Brandon Kurtz I thought the book was excellent until the ending. It was so sudden and didn't explain diddly-squat. Maybe I should just learn to accept that not everything should be tied up neatly at the end of a book, but that's how I like things.

message 3: by Jenny (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:18PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenny Yeah, I agree...although I found the bit leading up to the ending to be a little scary (including me gasping at several points), I found the actual ending to be a little pointless and am not even really sure why it was included.

Isabel Jazmín I liked the ending but I have some questions about it... does the prestige didn't die after some time?

Jenny I'm not really sure if the prestige dies or not. I'm not sure how that one Prestige came back to life, but that the little boy and the countless other prestiges do not.

Jennifer I'm glad to see that I was not the only person who found the ending unsettling. There were a lot of things about this book that were either plot holes or the author just wanted to leave to the readers interpertation. The ending can definetly be open for discussion.

Aisha I guess im the the minority about this book. I wastn't the biggest fan of this book. I felt that som things were left unexplained. Or maybe I was confused. But the ending was so sudden, it left things just hanging there. I know not every story can just end "neatly", but in this book with so much left unsaid, it would have been nice.

Brenda Clough I loved the ending. It is like a magic trick, hey presto! and the prestige vanishes. Very thematically appropriate.
And I trust people have seen the movie, starring Christian Bale and Hugh Jackman? It is not quite the same as the book, but still excellent.

7706julian Brenda wrote: "I loved the ending. It is like a magic trick, hey presto! and the prestige vanishes. Very thematically appropriate.
And I trust people have seen the movie, starring Christian Bale and Hugh Jackman..."

i think that even though the book was great, i still think that the movie was much better.

Brenda Clough The movie simplified the book a good deal by just omitting one entire chunk of the plot. By focusing solely on the contest between the two magicians it kept everything tighter. But the outer story gives you that final whoops! around the corner effect.

Molly Woodbury I was more confused by Kate's father throwing Nicky into it-- like, what?? Why would he do that? What was their deal? Why/ how was the feud continued? I felt like that was a huge chunk of the story that I wanted to read about. I liked that the ending was creepy and ambiguous but the other part was so confusing to me.

Kristina Smith Margaret wrote: "I was more confused by Kate's father throwing Nicky into it-- like, what?? Why would he do that? What was their deal? Why/ how was the feud continued? I felt like that was a huge chunk of the story..."

I came to Goodreads to see if anyone else had felt that way too. I loved the book but the modern section had so many plot holes and unanswered questions!

message 13: by Jose (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jose Ayala Margaret wrote: "I was more confused by Kate's father throwing Nicky into it-- like, what?? Why would he do that? What was their deal? Why/ how was the feud continued? I felt like that was a huge chunk of the story..."

I felt the same way! But thinking about it more maybe that was the point. That part of the story is from a 5 year old's (I think she was 5 at the time) point of view so it leaves so many questions as to what really happened, which is great writing but so frustrating because I want answers!

message 14: by Jose (last edited Oct 22, 2015 04:43AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jose Ayala The last few pages had my heart pumping when Nicky was in the crypt. Maybe I'm looking way too much into the ending but the thing I loved about the ending was that it felt like it was Angier's (or the book's) last trick. The pledge was Angier, a regular man. The turn was making him into a ghost-thing and him isolating himself, and the prestige was bringing him back at the very end.