Jodi Picoult Books Reading Group. discussion

Books Under Discussion > Group Reading # 2: Nineteen Minutes

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ashley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:00PM) (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) | 75 comments A couple of you have already finished Keeping Faith and will be starting Nineteen Minutes. Feel free to make comments and ask questions as you go. Enjoy.

message 2: by Lauren (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:08PM) (new)

Lauren | 27 comments i dont like Josie. On page 370...

message 3: by Ashley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:08PM) (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) | 75 comments I just got the book in the mail today so I will be starting it soon. Wow Lauren...you read fast.

message 4: by Kimberly (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:09PM) (new)

Kimberly My copy just arrived...can't wait to find out who Josie is!

message 5: by Kathy McC (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:10PM) (new)

Kathy McC | 36 comments I thought that each character had their own flaws that made them unlikeable at times. But because of the thoroughness of JP's character development, I also sympathized with all of them at times. For me, this book was an emotional roller coaster. There were a few people, however, that by the end of the book, I didn't feel bad about.

message 6: by Britta (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:13PM) (new)

Britta (brittaditta) | 24 comments I think the whole point of Nineteen Minutes is to love everyone. That everyone has a story and there are more to people than what you see on the outside.

"It was easy to be proud of the kid who got straight A's and who made the winning basket - a kid the world already adored. But true character showed when you could find something to love in a child everyone else hated."

message 7: by Kimberly (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:14PM) (new)

Kimberly Wow, I just started the book. The first high school scene was difficult to get through. I had to keep taking breaks. Very gut-wrenching...and I'm a pretty unemotional person.

message 8: by Ashley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:16PM) (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) | 75 comments I'm on chapter 2 and I like it so far. I'm just having a bit of trouble keeping up with who is who.

message 9: by Kimberly (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:16PM) (new)

Kimberly I am around page 100 or so...aside from the inside scoop on the school shooting, I was also blind-sided by my first "fictional" account of 9/11.
I was talking with friends last week about where we were when Reagan was shot. Well, I was in elementary school, and they brought a TV into our multi-purpose room. Same thing when the space shuttle blew up. It hadn't occurred to me that the same thing might have taken place for 9/11. I only knew people with younger kids, and no one said a word about 9/11 at their schools. Peter and Josie, however (in the book) were 7th (?) graders, and they got to watch 9/11 unfold in their school's media room. I suppose 9/11 is part of what molds the characters, as it has many of us. I've purposly avoided reading or watching any accounts of 9/11. I live inside the Capitol Beltway, and it was difficult being here post 9/11. I am still not ready to re-live the events, and having to read about it in the book caught me off guard again.
I haven't cried so much since Marley Me! (didn't everyone???) But this book has been much more draining for me.

message 10: by Kellie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:16PM) (new)

Kellie Daigle (kellierae83) I read this book last year and I made the mistake of reading the discussion questions before I made it through the first chapter. So, the twist was totally blown for me. However, I still enjoyed reading it and learning about each character.

If you've read Perfect Match, then you you're familiar with Patrick's character (who I love). I was so happy that Jodi Picoult brought him back. It was a joy following up with his story.

message 11: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) | 75 comments I am now on page 64. Sorry, I'm a little slow on the reading..lol. Jodi's books are books that you can't breeze through because you are sucked into every action and emotion that happens.

message 12: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) | 75 comments I'm on page 91 now. I like how Jodi goes to the present and then back to the past to give us background information on how everyone knows each other and how everything was led up to the point of the shooting.

message 13: by Kathy McC (new)

Kathy McC | 36 comments JP is certainly a master of detail. Every idea,every action,and every little detail fits perfectly. Her plots are seamless.

message 14: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) | 75 comments I notice on Page 107 where the news anchor is talking about a CD peter had and how the lyrics are talking about shooting and how the lead singer of the particular band has press conference to talk about it, that the whole thing is like the issue with Marilyn Manson and how one of his songs caused a boy to shoot himself or shoot other kids. Any of you familiar with that? It happened a long time ago

message 15: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Yeah, the part in the book about the band and the press conference seemed very similar. I think both bands handled it well, basically saying that the kids were already twisted, and a few song lyrics shouldn't be blamed for bigger problems that need repair.

message 16: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) | 75 comments I'm on page 153... I'm getting there..lol

message 17: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) | 75 comments I'm on page 210 and I hate Josie. She is such a bitch. Excuse my french.

message 18: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) | 75 comments Im now on page 304. I can't tell if Josie doesn't really remember what happened at the shooting or she doesn't want to remember and knows things that she should be telling Detective Patrick.

message 19: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) | 75 comments I finally finished the book. I was suprised by the Alex's pregnancy..lol. I knew there would be twists in the book just didn't know what exactly they would be. I'm confused about the last part with Peter. Did he kill himself?

message 20: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) | 75 comments I will be taking a break from the Jodi Picoult books for some lighter reads. Theres only so much intense reading my mind can take..lol.

message 21: by Kathy McC (new)

Kathy McC | 36 comments Boy oh boy - keep reading. You are in for some great answers to your pondering!

message 22: by Angela (new)

Angela Avery | 15 comments I agree with Ashley that after reading a serious book like this you need a break from Jodi's books. I love her books, she's my favorite author, but her books make me think so much that I need a break afterward.

message 23: by Rose Ann (new)

Rose Ann I agree Angela....it took me a good week before I could pick up another book after this one.
This was my first Jodie Picoult book...loved it!
I am now reading The Tenth Circle.

message 24: by Shannon (new)

Shannon  Twomey (twomshan) | 11 comments Tenth Circle was not one of my favorites--but still a good one! You are going to love Jodi!!! Keep reading!

message 25: by Rose Ann (new)

Rose Ann thanks Shannon! :)

message 26: by Dara (new)

Dara | 145 comments I stumbled upon Nineteen Minutes a few months ago and have been a devoted JP reader ever since. Nineteen Minutes (and all of her books) are so thought provoking. She has an unequalled ability to bring the reader into each of the characters and making them feel what the character feels. It is easy to be an armchair quarterback and pick sides or criticize parties involved when we read or hear about these real life events in the media. It is easy to blame, however Jodi made me understand and feel for Josie and her dilemma that all kids face of wanting to fit in to the point of not being true to yourself and of the parents who don't want to see the signs their children give that they are overwhelmed by their social interactions or lack of them.

Thank you Jodi for giving us fictional forum that is so insightful. It is easier to read about these events in a fictional setting than to read the real life accounts.

message 27: by nina (last edited Jul 23, 2008 04:14AM) (new)

nina (ladeeda) | 29 comments I just finished Nineteen minutes and have to say that it isn't one of my favourites. I think my expectations were too high though.

My favourite book of hers is The Pact; that book just blew me away, and this is the first Jodi Picoult book i've read since finishing that one, so i was REALLY just expecting, well, something AMAZING. I'm not saying Nineteen Minutes wasn't good, It just didn't have the same impact on me as The Pact did... I guess I was pretty much comparing it to The Pact the whole time while reading it.

I'm going to re-read it soon though... Hopefully second time round it'll hit me the same way The Pact did; if I can stop comparing it that is.

message 28: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (missbrittany) anyone notice how Jordan McAfee from the Pact reappears here in 19m?

i love patrick and lacy. i'm nearing page 300.

message 29: by Leena (new)

Leena Almashat | 59 comments I love Jordan in The Pact and in Salem Falls. But I haven't read 19m.

message 30: by Rose Ann (new)

Rose Ann Wow...I'm really bad...I didnt notice that...LOL
I've read so many books inbetween the two, that I didnt notice...LOL
I am currently reading The Pact and really liking it!

message 31: by Tracey (new)

Tracey | 7 comments I really liked 19minutes. I liked the fact that in her book the killer lives because in many of these cases that person usually commits suicide and you never end up really feeling like you understand what was going through THEIR head. I did not notice that Jordan McAfee shows up in this, now I have to go reread it thanks alot(lol)

message 32: by Jen (new)

Jen (zombietakeover) | 5 comments I really liked this book. It takes on a subject that is a reality in teenagers and it really shows how hard it can be on them. The thing I really love about Picoult is that you get to see the story from all angles and you really feel for the characters. Great book.

message 33: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (bubbly) | 8 comments Jen,

I agree 100%. I just finished the book last night and I wasn't even close to finishing yesterday morning. It had me thinking, every single page, "What if someone in my school did that?"

Bullying isn't common in my school, but people get singled out. They never get the picture that they don't fit in. There's this girl in my class who gets made fun of by everyone, even her own little sister. In a way this reminds me of Peter. You just have to wonder if it's possible.

At first this book started off as any mediocre book, in my opinion, would. I judged a character, Josie, before I really got to know her and pitied Peter. This book is about a murder, but also how people are never who you really think they are. That message, that they bring up quite a few times, happened when you learned the truth about Joey, Josie, and Peter. It happened when Josie fought with herself about faking who she was when she was hanging out with the popular kids. Every page, or at least chapter, went into the famous Transformers line. Jodi did a great job at throwing a curveball. I expected the truth about Josie and Matt, but the truth about the shooting left me breathless and cheering for Josie every step, from there on out. I wouldn't go through hell to find this book, but if you see this book in your nearest bookstore, buy it.

message 34: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Coudriet (mandyrae) I already finished this book and i loved it. I love how she gave everyones story but didnt fall to far away from the point. One of my favorites I do have to say. And Lauren as much as I didnt like josie either I can see where she is comming from it is really hard not to try and better your self and I think by leaving him for the popular crwed that is what she was doing it didnt help any that her mom didnt want them around each other either though. But she had her reasons too. I cant say I would let my daughter hang around someone I caught with a gun either.

message 35: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Coudriet (mandyrae) No I agree

message 36: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Erickson (jessie0385) | 2 comments I am nearly done reading this book, I have gotten to the trial so I know the twist in the plot will be revealed soon (though I think I have figured it out mostly.) I just wanted to add to this discussion how I also enjoy how some of the characters appear in different books. I havent read the ones with Jordan in them, but I know Patrick was in Perfect Match and you felt sympathy for him in that one. This is the 3rd JP book I have read, I enjoy her work though I agree with some others that once you get a feel for the way she writes you can kind of figure out where she is going with the different plot twists. Still will probably read more of her works. This is another ace in my book!

message 37: by ♥BookGeek♥ (new)

♥BookGeek♥ (BookN) | 7 comments Josie and Matt, I totally saw that comming. I mean the way that he treats Peter who was Josie's best friend (and she still likes him even though she ended their friendship) and his taunting was so awful, I knew deep inside she wanted to kill Matt. God how I hate Matt!

message 38: by ♥BookGeek♥ (new)

♥BookGeek♥ (BookN) | 7 comments Oh holy s*** God! Sorry Jessica if I spoiled it! My stinkin fault.

message 39: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Coudriet (mandyrae) I read this a while ago and It was my first JP book. I was very reluctant to start another one of hers. It was really hard for me to get through. I am really glad I did go on to other books. JPs writing is very different you have to get use to it

message 40: by Erin (new)

Erin K | 1 comments I just finished Nineteen Minutes. By far, my favorite by JP thus far. I wonder if I read too quickly (couldn't put it down) or missed something more, but for those of you who haven't finished, don't read any further!
What was the meaning of Josie's detailed start to the day, with all that guilt and 'backup plan' if needed? Did I misunderstand her role? Was she actively involved from the start of it?

message 41: by ♥BookGeek♥ (new)

♥BookGeek♥ (BookN) | 7 comments Don't think so. It didn't seem like it. To me, Josie had guilt but still loved Matt, and I don't think she wanted to kill him just then. I think when the school shooting started, she rethought about it, and decided to shoot Matt. That's what I got from the book.

message 42: by Jodi (new)

Jodi (jodilovesbooks) | 5 comments ****SPOILER****

i read 19m back in march & couldnt put it down.

i agree, i felt josie did it in the moment & i felt her guilt at the start of the book was from feeling like a fake and not being true to herself. i was surprised,considering the circumstances,that she
was sent to prison for so long.

i was also confused by the sock thing, i had to read it over a few times. i aksed my husband and he said if you push it down far enough it would suffocate you. i'm currently reading "vanishing act" and there was a small part with the same suicide in a prison.

and i also had to read something a lot lighter after reading that one. i read "love the one your with" by emily giffen, not great but i liked it. it was a little slow moving at first and picked up in the middle.

jodi

jodi

message 43: by ♥BookGeek♥ (new)

♥BookGeek♥ (BookN) | 7 comments Yes there was something in the message boards on Jodi's site and someone thought that the boy who committed suicide was Peter. Don't think he was, there are a lot of people who commit suicide with socks in prison apparently.