The History Book Club discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 97 (97 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Bentley | 39814 comments Mod
This thread is not to glorify the Nazis or Hitler. Despicable things were done which can never be forgotten and shouldn't be.

This thread is to post books regarding this individual as it relates to World War II. Also urls and other research information can also be posted. There is no self promotion here and no glorifying the Nazis or Hitler. Those posts will be deleted,

message 2: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Hitler’s Bunker and the Ruins of Berlin: Rare and Unpublished Photos

Source: Life Magazine

http://life.time.com/history/inside-h...

message 3: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Unpublished. Russian soldiers and a civilian struggle to move a large bronze Nazi Party eagle which once loomed over a doorway of the Reich Chancellery in Berlin, 1945.

Photography: William Vandivert—Time & Life Pictures/Getty Images

message 4: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (Bucs1960) The definitive biography of Hitler. At over 1,000 pages, it covers all aspects of the life of one of the most hated men in history. When I purchased this book several years ago, it was in two volumes but the one cited below is a compilation of the two. It is obviously a time-consuming read but is well worth it.

Adolf Hitler The Definitive Biography by John Willard Toland John Willard TolandJohn Willard Toland

message 5: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Apr 30, 2012 11:43AM) (new)

This is a new view of a photograph that appeared, heavily cropped, in LIFE, picturing Hitler's command center in the Berlin bunker, partially burned by retreating German troops and stripped of valuables by invading Russians.

message 6: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Apr 30, 2012 11:45AM) (new)

Oberwallstrasse, in central Berlin, which saw some of the most vicious fighting between German and Soviet troops in the spring of 1945.

message 7: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Unpublished. In the typed notes (see next slide) that William Vandivert sent to LIFE's New York offices immediately after getting to Berlin, he described his intense, harried visit to Hirler's bunker: "Note and note well," he wrote. "These pix were made in the dark with only candle for illumination ... Our small party of four beat all rest of mob who came down about forty minutes after we got there." Above: A 16th century Madonna and Child stolen from a Milan museum.

message 8: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

With only candles to light their way, war correspondents examine a couch stained with blood (see dark patch on the arm of the sofa) located inside Hitler's bunker, 1945.

message 9: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Apr 30, 2012 12:00PM) (new)

Unpublished. An SS officer's cap, with the infamous "death's head" skull emblem barely visible. Of this image, Vandivert's notes state simply: "moldy SS cap lying in water on floor of sitting room."

message 10: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Jill wrote: "The definitive biography of Hitler. At over 1,000 pages, it covers all aspects of the life of one of the most hated men in history. When I purchased this book several years ago, it was in two volum..."

Thanks Jill for your add.

message 11: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (Bucs1960)

A rather intimate photo of Hitler with Eva Braun who would become his wife in their last day of life in the bunker.

message 12: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Interesting photo.

message 13: by Anne (new)

Anne | 1 comments While the deeds of the Fuhrer can not be celebrated as they were indeed detrimental to the existence of a race as we know, it is still important to assess the other deeds of Hitler, especially concerning the Second World War. I wish I could have a copy of this book, but my present location is such that access to such a book is a luxury that I cannot afford. I hope to read your reviews and gain the little I can. Hitler has always been a "subject" worth knowing more about.

message 14: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (Bucs1960) Anne.....this thread is not dedicated to a particular book about Hitler but is a thread where book recommendations and other information can be posted. I think you will find a wealth of facts here to fill in your knowledge regarding Hitler and his role in WWII

message 15: by Craig (new)

Craig (Twinstuff) My AP US History classes are covering World War II this week and last week and it's always fascinating to me to see the interest Hitler still carries for today's younger generation. I'm not sure if there is another world leader who commands such attention in today's modern classroom, certainly it towers above the interest level most high school students have for any American president whether it's FDR, Lincoln, George Washington or Barack Obama. I think the only other historical figure of the 20th century who compares is Marilyn Monroe.

message 16: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

I think what you say is very true Craig. But why do you suppose that is? It is not that he did anything to make the world better in fact the complete opposite. But I am really surprised at Marilyn Monroe unless recently that is because of the movie. What about Winston Churchill or Ghandi or Mother Teresa - I guess not.

message 17: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (Bucs1960) Craig wrote: "My AP US History classes are covering World War II this week and last week and it's always fascinating to me to see the interest Hitler still carries for today's younger generation. I'm not sure i..."

Interesting, Craig. And I find it odd that Joseph Stalin, who I think is on equal footing with Hitler as a tyrant, does not generate as much interest. It may be due to the fact that Russia was one of our allies in WWII or that his crimes were not as visible in the huge and secretive Soviet Union. What is your take on that, as a history teacher?

message 18: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Apr 30, 2012 06:53PM) (new)

Anne wrote: "While the deeds of the Fuhrer can not be celebrated as they were indeed detrimental to the existence of a race as we know, it is still important to assess the other deeds of Hitler, especially conc..."

Anne welcome from Nigeria - glad to have you but please make sure to introduce yourself on the Introduction thread.

I think on this thread we are discussing Hitler in relationship to the Second World War. And he is worth knowing about so that the world does not let such a despot gain the upper hand again or turn a blind eye to appease such a person. So many nations thought they could strike deals with Hitler avoiding war and protecting their country's interests and of course that did not work out too well for any of them.

I will post additional books on this thread which I hope you will find interesting and be able to get through your library system if that is available to you.

Let me know more about your situation.

Regards,

Bentley

message 19: by Craig (new)

Craig (Twinstuff) Jill wrote: "Craig wrote: "My AP US History classes are covering World War II this week and last week and it's always fascinating to me to see the interest Hitler still carries for today's younger generation. ..."

I was actually proud of one of my students today who questioned early in our class period why America could align herself with another ruthless dictator like Stalin beginning in 1941.

As for why Hitler commands such attention, I'm really not quite sure. Maybe it's a little like certain historical figures in that they never really left the public realm, which is not true for all individuals, whether they were heroes or tyrants.

On the heroes side, American children grow up hearing a lot about Rosa Parks, for instance, even though I personally feel her contribution to the Civil Rights movement might not put her on the same level as A. Phillip Randolph who most students know nothing about.

On the public figures side, most teenagers know a lot about Al Capone - his nickname, jailing in Alcatraz, connection to Prohibition, etc., but know hardly anything about Charles Lindbergh who was every bit as famous in the 1920s.

message 20: by Jill (last edited May 01, 2012 03:36PM) (new)

Jill Hutchinson (Bucs1960) Good for your student who asked the Stalin question. It is not a question many ask.
I also wonder if the rituals, uniforms, insignias, etc. which were so in evidence in the Nazi regime are also part of the reasons that Hitler still resonates with the public and tends to capture the imagination. If you have ever seen Triumph of the Will directed by Leni Riefenstahl, the images remain in the mind's eye for a long time. The subject matter aside, it is a skillful and beautiful film.

Leni RiefenstahlLeni Riefenstahl

message 21: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Craig Craig wrote: "Jill wrote: "Craig wrote: "My AP US History classes are covering World War II this week and last week and it's always fascinating to me to see the interest Hitler still carries for today's younger ..."

Craig, could popular culture play a role? Capone, Marilyn Monroe, and Hitler pop up a lot in our media and entertainment.

message 22: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (Bucs1960) This book would be appropriate on several threads but I think it fits here because it looks deep into what Hitler was planning to consolidate his power. The year 1938 was key to this plan from the Anschluss to the Munich Conference to the ravages of Kristallnacht. I read this last year and thought it did as much to explain what Hitler was thinking than other histories I have read.......he was basically improvising as he went along and nobody called his bluff. I would recommend it.

1938 Hitler's Gamble by Giles MacDonogh by Giles MacDonogh

message 23: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Hitler's Private Library

Hitler's Private Library The Books That Shaped His Life by Timothy W. Ryback by Timothy W. Ryback

Adolf Hitler was better known for burning books than collecting them and yet by the time he died, aged 56, he owned an estimated 16,000 volumes - the works of historians, poets, playwrights and novelists. This title explores this remarkable collection, as well as several other caches which he subsequently discovered in Europe and elsewhere.

Synopsis:

He was, of course, a man better known for burning books than collecting them and yet by the time he died, aged 56, Adolf Hitler owned an estimated 16,000 volumes - the works of historians, philosophers, poets, playwrights and novelists. A passionate reader, his worldview was largely formed by the books he read. For more than fifty years the remnants of Hitler's private library occupied shelf-space in climate-controlled obscurity in the rare book division of the Library of Congress in Washington. Timothy Ryback is the first to systematically explore this remarkable collection, as well as several other caches which he subsequently discovered in Europe and elsewhere. The volumes in Hitler's library are fascinating in themselves but it is the marginalia - the comments, the exclamation marks, the questions and underlinings - even the dirty thumbprints on the pages of a book he read in the trenches of the First World War - which are so revealing. Together they take us closer to the man and his thinking than ever seemed possible. "Hitler's Private Library" provides us with a remarkable view of Hitler's evolution - and unparalleled insights into his emotional and intellectual world. Utterly compelling, it is also a landmark in our understanding of the Third Reich.

Blackwell's Podcast on Book:

http://bookshop.blackwell.co.uk/extra...

message 24: by Nicole (new)

Nicole I found this conspiracy theory book that tries to prove Hitler survived the war. It could probably fit under the Nazi thread as well but the main story revolves around Hitler.

Ratline: Soviet Spies, Nazi Priests, and the Disappearance of Adolf Hitler

Ratline Soviet Spies, Nazi Priests, and the Disappearance of Adolf Hitler by Peter LevendabyPeter Levenda(no photo)

Synopsis
"Ratline" is the documented history about the mechanisms by which thousands of other Nazi war criminals fled to the remotest parts of the globe--including quite possibly Adolf Hitler.

It is a story involving Soviet spies, Nazi priests, and a network of Catholic monasteries and safe houses known as the rat line. The name of one priest in particular, Monsignor Draganovic, was discovered by the author in a diary found in Indonesia. Why would this name turn up in a document written in a spidery German hand in a remote island in Indonesia?

As famed author Peter Levenda began his research, more information came to light: In December of 2009, it was revealed that the skull the Russians claimed was Hitler's--salvaged from the bunker in 1945--was not that of Hitler In 2010, files from the Office of Special Investigations of the Justice Department were declassified, revealing a history of American intelligence providing cover for Nazi war criminals.

The mystery deepened, and the author returned to his own roots hunting Nazis in North America, South America and Europe. He revisited old contacts, made some new ones, and gradually the explosive story was revealed: there is no forensic evidence to prove that Adolf Hitler died in the bunker in April 1945

message 25: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (Bucs1960) Nicole wrote: "I found this conspiracy theory book that tries to prove Hitler survived the war. It could probably fit under the Nazi thread as well but the main story revolves around Hitler.

Ratline: Soviet Spi..."

Although I have read many theories regarding Hitler's escape from the bunker, I am not familiar with this book. Sounds interesting.

message 26: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (Bucs1960) An interesting take on the effect (or not) of WWI on the future Nazi leader and his beliefs.

Hitler's First War

Hitler's First War Adolf Hitler, the Men of the List Regiment, and the First World War by Thomas Weber by Thomas Weber

Synopsis
In this major revision of our understanding of Adolf Hitler's life, the author paints a group portrait of the List Regiment, Hitler's unit during WWI, to illuminate the story of his military service. Weber refutes the story crafted by Hitler himself, and so challenges the historical argument that the First World War provided a crucible for his political development. Contrary to myth, the regiment consisted largely of conscripts (not enthusiastic volunteers), and Hitler served with scores of Jews who proved more heroic - and decidedly more popular - that the future Fuhrer.

message 27: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Craig Ronel wrote: "Hi guys. I have something to clarify regarding Hitler's death. Did he commit suicide by firing a gun on his temple or through his mouth? I asked this because John Toland said it's the former while ..."

It has been a subject of speculation whether he shot himself in the mouth or in the temple. I always thought it was the temple.

message 28: by David A (last edited Jun 29, 2012 07:12AM) (new)

David A (Lancer_325) | 1 comments Bryan wrote: "Ronel wrote: "Hi guys. I have something to clarify regarding Hitler's death. Did he commit suicide by firing a gun on his temple or through his mouth? I asked this because John Toland said it's the..."

Hi Ronel. very interesting question. But as no remains were ever "found" of Hitler or Eva Braun there is no direct evidence of how he died. The concesus seems to be that she took cyanide and hitler bit down on a pill as he fired a pistol into his temple. The concensus comes from the version of events from witnessess who were the first to enter his room after they had heard the shot on the afternoon 30th April. For instance Otto Günsche his adjutant stated he entered the study to inspect the bodies, and observed Hitler on the sofa sunken over, with blood dripping out of his right temple. He had shot himself with his own pistol, a PPK 7.65 I'll consult my books when i get home (Kershaw, Trevor-Roper, Shirer being my usual 3)but again as no remains were ever officially recovered no autopsy verified how he died. It seems Günsche is the clearest witness and he is clear that hitler had shot himself in the right temple. Hope this helps, David A.

message 29: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Craig Hitler: A Biography

Hitler by Ian Kershaw Ian KershawIan Kershaw

Synopsis

Finally, the one-volume edition of Ian Kershaw's definitive and masterful biography of Hitler.
"The Hitler biography of the twenty-first century" (Richard J. Evans), Ian Kershaw's Hitler is a new, distilled, one-volume masterpiece that will become the standard work. From Hitler's origins as a failed artist in fin-de-siècle Vienna to the terrifying last days in his Berlin bunker, Kershaw's richly illustrated biography is a mesmerizing portrait of how Hitler attained, exercised, and retained power. Drawing on previously untapped sources, such as Goebbels's diaries, Kershaw addresses crucial questions about the unique nature of Nazi radicalism, about the Holocaust, and about the poisoned European world that allowed Hitler to operate so effectively.

message 30: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Craig Hitler

Hitler  by Ian Kershaw Ian KershawIan Kershaw

Synopsis

Continuous and very large popular obsession with Nazis and Hitler fed by constant media attention. Ian Kershaw is a best-selling author and a household name thanks to his highly acclaimed 2-volume history of Hitler. 40 very strong black and white photographs. Focus on the key question of power not a conventional biography.This is an illustrated edition of Hitler, a best-seller in the" Profiles in Power" series. Adolf Hitler has left a lasting mark on the twentieth century as the dictator of Germany and instigator of a genocidal war, culminating in the ruin of much of Europe and the globe. So why, of all the fanatics in Germany after the First World War, was it Hitler who found such a mass appeal? How did such an unimpressive figure some to take control of the machinery of a complex modern state? Why, contrary to all expectations, was his authority not curtailed by the traditional ruling classes and constitutional constraints? Ian Kershaw answers these questions, and more, to provide an interesting and lucid introduction to the character and exercise of Hitler's dictatorial power.This is valuable reading for anyone wanting a better understanding of the Hitler, Second World War, Germany and Europe in the twentieth century. Ian Kershaw is Professor of Modern History at the University of Sheffield. He has written widely on Hitler and the Third Reich, including the widely-acclaimed two-volume biography published by Penguin. In addition to his publications, he was consultant to the BAFTA-winning BBC-TV series The Nazis: A Warning from History, to the BBC2 programme War of the Century, to ZDF's Hitler: eine Bilanz and to ZDF's series inpreparation on the Holocaust.

message 31: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Craig Franco and Hitler: Spain, Germany, and World War II

Franco and Hitler Spain, Germany, and World War II by Stanley G. PayneStanley G. Payne

Synopsis

Was Franco sympathetic to Nazi Germany? Why didn't Spain enter World War II? In what ways did Spain collaborate with the Third Reich? How much did Spain assist Jewish refugees?

This is the first book in any language to answer these intriguing questions. Stanley Payne, a leading historian of modern Spain, explores the full range of Franco’s relationship with Hitler, from 1936 to the fall of the Reich in 1945. But as Payne brilliantly shows, relations between these two dictators were not only a matter of realpolitik. These two titanic egos engaged in an extraordinary tragicomic drama often verging on the dark absurdity of a Beckett or Ionesco play.

Whereas Payne investigates the evolving relationship of the two regimes up to the conclusion of World War II, his principal concern is the enigma of Spain’s unique position during the war, as a semi-fascist country struggling to maintain a tortured neutrality. Why Spain did not enter the war as a German ally, joining with Hitler to seize Gibraltar and close the Mediterranean to the British navy, is at the center of Payne’s narrative. Franco’s only personal meeting with Hitler, in 1940 to discuss precisely this, is recounted here in groundbreaking detail that also sheds significant new light on the Spanish government’s vacillating policy toward Jewish refugees, on the Holocaust, and on Spain’s German connection throughout the duration of the war.

message 32: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Craig Valkyrie: The Story of the Plot to Kill Hitler, by Its Last Member

Valkyrie The Story of the Plot to Kill Hitler, by Its Last Member by Philipp Freiherr von Boeselager Philipp Freiherr von BoeselagerPhilipp Freiherr von Boeselager

Synopsis

When the Second World War broke out, Philipp Freiherr von Boeselager, age twenty-five, fought for his country enthusiastically as a cavalry officer. His rearing on the family estate in the Rhineland had instilled in him a strong Catholic faith, a reverence for the fatherland, and a love of horsemanship and the hunt. And so, like his brother Georg, he accepted a commission when the call came to restore the pride Germany had lost in the humiliating peace of Versailles.

Soon, however, beyond the regimented and honor-bound world of the cavalry, von Boeselager would discover what shocking brutality the SS was perpetrating at the behest of the Third Reich’s highest authorities. When, in the summer of 1942, he heard that five Roma had been killed in cold blood, von Boeselager’s patriotism quickly turned to disgust. Under his commanding officer, Field Marshal von Kluge, Philipp and his brother joined a group of conspirators in a plot to kill Adolf Hitler and Heinrich Himmler.

It was planned that Philipp would shoot both the Führer and Himmler in the officers’ casino during a camp inspection visit, but when that attempt had to be aborted at the last moment, the plotters resolved to use a bomb to assassinate Hitler alone. Once von Boeselager had delivered the explosives to Claus von Stauffenberg, a leader of the plot, he and Georg led an unauthorized retreat of cavalry units from the eastern front, a surreal night maneuver indelibly described here. The mission: to take control of Berlin and effect the coup d’etat.

When the bomb failed to kill Hitler, the SS launched a terrifying purge of senior army officers. The von Boeselager brothers barely managed to return with their units to the eastern front in time to escape detection. One by one their fellow plotters were found out, tortured, and executed, but steadfast in their cause, they never gave up the von Boeselagers’ names. Georg would eventually fall in battle on the Russian front, but Philipp survived the war.

In this elegant but unflinching testimony, Philipp von Boeselager, until his death in 2008 the last surviving member of the plot code-named Valkyrie, gives voice to the spirit of the small but determined band of men whose sense of justice and honor could not be dissolved by the diabolical glamour of the Third Reich. Here is an invaluable new perspective on one of the most fascinating near misses of twentieth-century history.

message 33: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Craig To the Bitter End

To the Bitter End An Insider's Account of Operation Valkyrie and the Plot to Kill Hitler by Hans GiseviusHans Gisevius

Synopsis

When on July 20, 1944, a bomb—boldly placed inside the Wolf's Lair (Hitler's headquarters in East Prussia) by the German Anti-Nazi Resistance—exploded without killing the Führer, the subsequent coup d'état against the Third Reich collapsed. Most of the conspirators were summarily shot or condemned in show trials and sadistically hanged. The conspiracy involved a wide circle of former politicians, diplomats, and government officials as well as senior military men. The Resistance had started as early as 1933 and involved several planned putsches and assassination attempts. Hans B. Gisevius knew or met the major figures—including Beck, Canaris, Oster, Goerdeler, and von Stauffenberg—and barely escaped after the coup's failure. One of the few survivors of the German Anti-Nazi Resistance, Gisevius traces its history, from the 1933 Reichstag fire to Germany's defeat in 1945, in a book as riveting as it is exceptional.

message 34: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Craig Operation Valkyrie: The German Generals' Plot Against Hitler

Operation Valkyrie The German Generals' Plot Against Hitler by Pierre GalantePierre Galante

Synopsis

The bomb that exploded in the "Wolf's Lair"—Hitler's command headquarters—on July 20th, 1944 was the closest any assassination attempt ever came to ridding the world of the Nazis' Führer. Pierre Galante's account of the years that led up to the attempt, and its grim aftermath, offers an illuminating look at how dissent among the German officer corps grew until something had to be done. Conspirator General Adolf Heusinger, who met with Hitler on hundreds of occasions, provides his personal accounts of the disintegrating obedience of the German commanders as the war turned against them. Their plan to kill Hitler, establish a provisional government, and negotiate with the Allies for peace—known as Operation Valkyrie—is described here in depth.

message 35: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Craig Explaining Hitler: The Search for the Origins of His Evil

Explaining Hitler The Search for the Origins of His Evil by Ron Rosenbaum by Ron Rosenbaum (no photo)

Synopsis:

When Hitler's war ended in 1945, the war over Hitler--who he really was, what gave birth to his unique evil--had just begun. Hitler did not escape the bunker in Berlin but, half a century later, he has managed to escape explanation in ways both frightening and profound. Explaining Hitler is an extraordinary quest, an expedition into the war zone of Hitler theories. This is a passionate, enthralling book that illuminates what Hitler explainers tell us about Hitler, about the explainers, and about ourselves.

message 36: by Jill (last edited Mar 09, 2014 07:16PM) (new)

Jill Hutchinson (Bucs1960) During his reign as Fuehrer, very few people in Germany knew about the existence of Eva Braun, Hitler's mistress. Here is the inside story of a woman who had more control over Hitler than generally believed (although not in the areas of policy or military).

Eva Braun: Life with Hitler

Eva Braun Life with Hitler by Heike B. Görtemaker by Heike B. Görtemaker (no photo)

Synopsis:

In this groundbreaking biography of Eva Braun, German historian Heike B. Görtemaker delves into the startlingly neglected historical truth about Adolf Hitler’s mistress. More than just the vapid blonde of popular cliché, Eva Braun was a capricious but uncompromising, fiercely loyal companion to Hitler; theirs was a relationship that flew in the face of the Führer’s proclamations that Germany was his only bride. Görtemaker paints a portrait of Hitler and Braun’s life together with unnerving quotidian detail—Braun chose the movies screened at their mountaintop retreat (propaganda, of course); he dreamed of retiring with her to Linz one day after relinquishing his leadership to a younger man—while weaving their personal relationship throughout the fabric of one of history’s most devastating regimes. Though Braun gradually gained an unrivaled power within Hitler’s inner circle, her identity was kept a secret during the Third Reich, until the final days of the war. Faithful to the end, Braun committed suicide with Hitler in 1945, two days after their marriage.

Through exhaustive research, newly discovered documentation, and anecdotal accounts, Görtemaker has meticulously built a surprising portrait of Hitler’s bourgeois existence outside of the public eye. Though Eva Braun had no role in Hitler’s policies, she was never as banal as she was previously painted; she was privy to his thoughts, ruled life within his entourage, and held his trust. As horrifying as it is astonishing, Eva Braun will undoubtedly be referenced in all future accounts of this period.

message 37: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Thanks to Bryan, Jill for the adds and to Bryan and David A for their responses to Ronel

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

To Jill,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. It's definitely on my to read list especially after reading Shirers thoughts on Braun having a birds sized brain.

message 39: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

@Jim - I too appreciate Jill's fantastic add.

I am glad that you plan to place this book on your to read list. Please add the author citation for Shirer:

William L. ShirerWilliam L. Shirer

We very much appreciate everybody's posting.

message 40: by Swaroop (new)

Swaroop | 3 comments can anyone recommend me the best book on hitler?

message 41: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (Bucs1960) Swaroop wrote: "can anyone recommend me the best book on hitler?"

There are several very excellent books on Hitler, Swaroop but one of the best is:

Hitler by Ian Kershaw by Ian KershawIan Kershaw

message 42: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Craig A good choice for Swaroop, Jill. This is the one-volume abridgement of his two volume work, I believe.

I'm reading the first volume and it really is very, very good.

Hitler by Ian Kershaw Hitler, Vol 1 1889-1936 Hubris by Ian Kershaw Hitler, Vol 2 1936-1945 Nemesis by Ian Kershaw by Ian KershawIan Kershaw

message 43: by Jill (last edited Jul 16, 2014 11:08AM) (new)

Jill Hutchinson (Bucs1960) There is also a two volume set by John Toland. I have it but haven't read it for years....but as I remember it was well done.

Adolph Hitler, 2-Vol. Set by John Toland by John Toland (no photo).

The photo shown for Toland is not correct so I left it out of the citation. He may be listed with a middle initial but he surely didn't live in the 1700's as did that man in the photo!!!!!

message 44: by Gerri (last edited Jul 16, 2014 08:00PM) (new)

Gerri | 3 comments It is interesting to read Hitler's own words. Between 1941 and 1944, a number of his conversations were recorded on paper with his permission by several individuals and later published as Hitler's Table Talk. Not a book to be absorbed in one sitting, but fascinating just the same.

Hitler's Table Talk 1941-1944 Secret Conversations by H.R. Trevor-Roper by H.R. Trevor-Roper (no photo)

message 45: by Swaroop (new)

Swaroop | 3 comments Thanks a lot for the suggestions. i have actually read the autobiography Mein Kampf. That got me interested in Hitler. I will go and buy hitler by Ian Kershaw, and come up with a review once im done.

Thanks again.

message 46: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Craig Very welcome, Swaroop. Let us know what you think after you finish.

message 47: by Jerome (new)

Jerome | 4016 comments Killing Hitler: The Plots, The Assassins, and the Dictator Who Cheated Death

Killing Hitler The Plots, The Assassins, and the Dictator Who Cheated Death by Roger Moorhouse by Roger MoorhouseRoger Moorhouse

Synopsis:

For the first time in one enthralling book, here is the incredible true story of the numerous attempts to assassinate Adolf Hitler and change the course of history.

Disraeli once declared that “assassination never changed anything,” and yet the idea that World War II and the horrors of the Holocaust might have been averted with a single bullet or bomb has remained a tantalizing one for half a century. What historian Roger Moorhouse reveals in , Killing Hitler is just how close–and how often–history came to taking a radically different path between Adolf Hitler’s rise to power and his ignominious suicide.

Few leaders, in any century, can have been the target of so many assassination attempts, with such momentous consequences in the balance. Hitler’s almost fifty would-be assassins ranged from simple craftsmen to high-ranking soldiers, from the apolitical to the ideologically obsessed, from Polish Resistance fighters to patriotic Wehrmacht officers, and from enemy agents to his closest associates. And yet, up to now, their exploits have remained virtually unknown, buried in dusty official archives and obscure memoirs. This, then, for the first time in a single volume, is their story.

A story of courage and ingenuity and, ultimately, failure, ranging from spectacular train derailments to the world’s first known suicide bomber, explaining along the way why the British at one time declared that assassinating Hitler would be “unsporting,” and why the ruthless murderer Joseph Stalin was unwilling to order his death.

It is also the remarkable, terrible story of the survival of a tyrant against all the odds, an evil dictator whose repeated escapes from almost certain death convinced him that he was literally invincible–a conviction that had appalling consequences for millions.

message 48: by Jill (last edited Jul 17, 2014 02:56PM) (new)

Jill Hutchinson (Bucs1960) It was almost as if he led a charmed life (well, at least for a while) but something always prevented the schemes and plots from being carried through. It is really rather amazing when you think about it.

message 49: by Lakshmi (last edited Nov 01, 2014 07:22AM) (new)

Lakshmi Hayagriva Wall Street and the Rise of Hitler

Wall Street and the Rise of Hitler by Antony C. Sutton by Antony C. Sutton Antony C. Sutton

Synopsis :

Finally, a distinguished scholar has penetrated the cloak of falsehood, deception, and duplicity that for more than thirty years has protected one of the most incredible secrets of World War II: the support from key Wall Street financiers and other international bankers in subsidizing Hitler's rise to power.

Professor Antony C. Sutton proves that World War II was not only well planned, it was also extremely profitable — for a select group of financial insiders. Carefully tracing this closely guarded secret through original documents and eyewitness accounts, Sutton documents the roles played by J.P. Morgan, T. W. Lamont, the Rockefeller interests, General Electric Company, Standard Oil, National City Bank, Chase and Manhattan banks, Kuhn, Loeb and Company, and scores of other business elitists. Wall Street and the Rise of Hitler shows how the bloodiest, most destructive war in history was financed and promoted. It is sure to spark angry denials and heated debate.

message 50: by Jill (last edited Nov 01, 2014 10:09AM) (new)

Jill Hutchinson (Bucs1960) That sound like a very controversial book, Lakshmi. Have you read it? If so, what is your opinion of it?

Wall Street and the Rise of Hitler by Antony C. Sutton by Antony C. SuttonAntony C. Sutton

« previous 1