Chicks On Lit discussion

Non Book Talk > Weird Things We've Done Because of Something We've Read

Comments Showing 1-50 of 70 (70 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Mary (new)

Mary Crabtree (boonebridgebookscom) | 88 comments
From Little Women:

I've gone to bed with a laundry pin on my nose ( I was 12)

From many a Victorian Novel read:

I've brushed my hair 100 times.....I don't know how they did that every night!

message 2: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (missbrittany) | 336 comments I, too, have brushed my hair 100 times because of something I read in a book!

message 3: by Peanut (last edited Dec 23, 2008 10:43AM) (new)

Peanut | 149 comments I remember once reading some book (no idea of the title) back when I was a kid. It talked about putting certain tarot cards under your pillow while you sleep. Apparently they were supposed to cause some kind of dream (depending on the type of card).

Well we didn't have tarot cards but I was able to find some pictures in another book. So I opened up the page to a particular card and put that under my pillow. Talk about an uncomfortable nights sleep! And no dreams from what I remember... :)

message 4: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (roxy_nj) | 354 comments Yeah, I tried the hair brushing thing too in the hopes of making my hair shinnier. Though with curly hair it makes for one heck of a funny hair-do

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) I think I did the hair brushing thing to since I've had long hair forever but this is a great topic, I've got to think if there's anything else!

message 6: by Mary (new)

Mary Crabtree (boonebridgebookscom) | 88 comments Do you think they brushed their hair that much because they didn't
wash it more than once a week? I don't know about you but my arm hurt!

Peanut...I'd like to know what you were reading....that's funny! I think I did sleep with a toy gun under my pillow once....but I think that was from a John Wayne Movie.

message 7: by Marsha (new)

Marsha (earthmarsha) | 1586 comments Roxy, I just love your avatar. So Victorian, sweet, and pretty!

message 8: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker Pretty sure I started picking up some of Scarlett's mannerisms and expressions from GWTW. Brushing the hair of course. Getting some rags and curling my hair (looked like a poodle!). Stuff like that. It was always doing something Victorian and girly.

message 9: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) | 467 comments I started my own Babysitters' Club when I was 11. hee hee hee
Great topic; now I want to think about some more weird stuff I've done. Ha!

Brushing your hair 100 times--could you do 50 times with one arm and 50 with the other? I bet it does hurt, but gives a good workout! :)

message 10: by April (new)

April (sallysal) | 25 comments My friends and I started a Babysitters' Club, too.
We thought we were sooooo cool, LOL!

message 11: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (roxy_nj) | 354 comments Marsha, Thanks. I liked the holly in the hair. very festive.

Mary & anyone else who tried the hairbrushing thing - I don't know about back in victorian days but I've read articles in current magazines that say brushing your hair before bed helps to distribute the natural oils through the hair, thus making it shinier. I suppose in victorian days it still served the same purpose, distribute the oil so the hair did not look oily at the roots?

message 12: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (roxy_nj) | 354 comments Teri - are you talking about the children's book Brownie's Hush? That is my favorite children's book!! My Gram used to read it to me.

message 13: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (mamamunky) | 2 comments I did the Scarlett thing too. Still do as a matter of fact.

message 14: by Mary (new)

Mary Crabtree (boonebridgebookscom) | 88 comments I loved "The Borrowers" and made baby cradles out of walnut shells, tables out of
mushroom caps, umbrella's out of Queen Annes Lace and a whole community of tunnels, road systems and houses in my mother's rhododendron beds. I was completely nuts over the series.

message 15: by Sonja (new)

Sonja (crvena_sonja) | 305 comments When I was little my dad read me The Hobbit in book format as well as in the graphic novel. So when I didn't want to do something (like eat peas) we'd go through the whole list of dwarves and such... "This one's for Balin, and this one for Thorin... and finally, one for Bilbo." I always used to imagine I was out adventuring with that group, fighting trolls and obsessing over my meals in true hobbit fashion...

I never did the hair brushing thing mainly because I agree with Roxy that with curly hair it totally doesn't work. I still only brush my hair out when its wet, like after washing, because otherwise its a complete mess...

message 16: by Mary (last edited Dec 26, 2008 09:36AM) (new)

Mary Crabtree (boonebridgebookscom) | 88 comments Sonja that is the sweetest story. I love that. This one is for Bilbo, this one is for Thorin..... Such a gift from your father.

message 17: by Sonja (new)

Sonja (crvena_sonja) | 305 comments Yeah, he used to read me books before bedtime but he always read me something that he also liked, which made the whole experience better. Other books that he read me were the Redwall series by Brian Jacques. I still have my original used copies and these were the first books I remember reading on my own...

message 18: by Dolly (new)

Dolly (dollya) I did the brush your hair 100 times too, but that didn't last too long. Too time consuming :)

message 19: by Peanut (new)

Peanut | 149 comments Mary - I'd never remember the book. I used to read all over the board when I was younger. I remember there was this series of books (about the occult). It might have been one of them. I remember the series because people in school thought I was a psycho for reading them.

message 20: by Holli (new)

Holli Peanut.....people thought the same about me in school when I would carry around an astrology book or some other "occult" book. I never saw the problem in it :)

message 21: by Marisa (new)

Marisa (psyko_kittie12) | 142 comments Roxy wrote: "Yeah, I tried the hair brushing thing too in the hopes of making my hair shinnier. Though with curly hair it makes for one heck of a funny hair-do"

I know what you mean LOL! My hair is so crazy I have to brush it that much anyhow if I want to get it a little straighter.

message 22: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
I tried making molasses candy in the snow after reading the Little House on the Praire books.
FYI it sucked.

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 369 comments my sister and I started a Babysitter's club too! oh man..good times. I'll have to think of some other things..i'm sure there are more.

message 24: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 40 comments I always wondered about the molasses candy, Tera :)

message 25: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker When I was little, I read the American Girl books and I tried sleeping on the floor on a little pallet of sheets and blankets because Felicity did that once (or something enough like that that I replicated it).

message 26: by Cyn (new)

Cyn | 258 comments OK< hairbrushing I got from Little House on the Prairie...you all are probably too young to have watched that when it was a TV series....

I can't think of anything as a kid that I did but am more apt to think of how books as an adult have inspired me. I feel old...ugh!

message 27: by Mary (new)

Mary Crabtree (boonebridgebookscom) | 88 comments Tut tut....I saw the series too. Of course I loved it that Laura was called Pumpkin.

Here's another one....I read Black Beauty and the following summer my twin sister and I woke up every weekday morning and it had to be before anyone else woke up or it wasn't as cool...we'd pack a picnic and go saddle our horses and trail ride all day long. It ended sadly over a broken bone....my sisters....but it was brilliant fun while it lasted.

message 28: by J. (new)

J. Tayse (mrstayse) | 23 comments Oh the comments about the clothespin and brushing the hair reminded me about chewing my food forty or fifty times. I forget what book that was from. And I used to want to be a veterinarian - my reading of books with horses in them made me want to be a vet.

message 29: by J. (new)

J. Tayse (mrstayse) | 23 comments Oh we named our guinea pigs after the bunnies in Watership down and after the characters in LOTR!

message 30: by Mary (new)

Mary Crabtree (boonebridgebookscom) | 88 comments I hope someone remembers where chewing your food 50 times came from. I was a complete failure at that one!

Oh and I just loved watership down.....we had a huge tree knocked over in a storm and the roots offered all kinds of little warrens to play in....

message 31: by J. (new)

J. Tayse (mrstayse) | 23 comments Oh that is so cute. I have a bunny now and I had to resist naming her after a bunny in Watership Down. LOL. My sister rescues hamsters and she does not name them after LOTR or Watership DOWN characters and I know that is hard. I know that I remember all the words from Watership Down (well I still reread it every couple years) and one time there was a bunny in the yard and it was scared and we were all yelling "it's tharn it's tharn!" LOL.

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* I didn't do it. But my four year old Nicholas ate some worms when I read him "How to eat fried worms." Little booger.

message 33: by Mary (new)

Mary Crabtree (boonebridgebookscom) | 88 comments between the hamsters and the little booger.......That cracks me up :)

message 34: by Paige (new)

Paige | 43 comments When I saw this thread I cracked up!
I read too much Judy Blume as a child and the little chant "we must, we must, we must increase our bust" popped into my head. I soooo chanted it a few times myself growing up! =)

message 35: by Holli (last edited Jan 01, 2009 07:48AM) (new)

Holli Oh my god Paige.....that is hilarious!! Totally brought back memories for sure :) I remember telling my mom I didn't need to have the talk about periods and all that because I'd already read Are You There God? Its Me Margaret.......

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* I forgot that Paige! I can remember conning my sisters into doing the We Must increase our busts!!!

message 37: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker You're forgetting the second verse--"We better, we better, we better before we wear a sweater."

message 38: by Dolly (new)

Dolly (dollya) LOL on the Judy Blume. I totally forgot all about that, but I did that too.

message 39: by Katie (last edited Jan 02, 2009 06:54AM) (new)

Katie (katieisallbooked) | 319 comments I read Island of the Blue Dolphins when I was in 3rd or 4th grade and was determined to make a "yucca fiber skirt." Here in Ohio we don't have much access to yucca fiber (LOL) so I threaded leaves from the magnolia tree in our front yard onto a piece of yarn. I spent weeks and weeks getting enough on there to complete the project. I wore it over my pants every time I played outside until the leaves dried up and fell off.

I'm an only child so I spent a lot of time playing by myself. I had (and still have) a pretty wild imagination. Most of my imaginary play was inspired by books.

message 40: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (roxy_nj) | 354 comments OMG Paige is that where "I must, I must increase my bust" came from?! I remember doing that! For some reason I'd try to do it at school, while standing in line to go inside after recess. Was trying to do it without anyone noticing. You think I'd just do it at home but no.....

Oh, and it didn't do a whole lot of good.

message 41: by Mary (new)

Mary Crabtree (boonebridgebookscom) | 88 comments Wow Katie, I want to be on your "Survivor" tribe. That's pretty resourceful - I hope mom and dad took pictures!

I remember reading Island of the Blue Dolphins and I just loved it at the time and also it seemed back then that there weren't that many really strong female characters in YA books.

message 42: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cyndil62) | 1774 comments I am cracking up at all of your posts! Thanks for a good laugh!

message 43: by Cj (new)

Cj My childhood friend and I used, "chiz chiz", and "utterly wet and a weed" as expressions, much to the confusion of anyone who had no clue as to their meanings (from the Adrian Mole series, by Sue Townsend). We still do, too, 30 years later...

message 44: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (missbrittany) | 336 comments lori- i knew it as:
we must we must we must increase our busts,
the bigger the better the tighter the sweater,
the boys depend on us.

sad, huh? lol!

message 45: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker That's not sad; it's funny! I remember this girl that I went to dance with would do the pec exercises that go with that like 50 times as she was changing and I think she said she did it at home too. She was flat as a board.

message 46: by Marsha (new)

Marsha (earthmarsha) | 1586 comments Hey, Cj, I think that Adrian Mole must have taken "chiz" from Nigel Molesworth (Molesworth). I'd never heard of Molesworth until an English friend, who read and loved it as a boy, told me about it a few years ago. If you liked Adrian Mole, and I did, too, you should give Molesworth a try. It's very funny, especially if you're a huge Anglophile like me.

message 47: by Cj (new)

Cj Marsha wrote: "Hey, Cj, I think that Adrian Mole must have taken "chiz" from Nigel Molesworth ([b:Molesworth|430450|Molesworth (Penguin Modern Classics)|Geoffrey Willans|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1174......"

Oh my goodness, my memory is failing (see 30 years ago aspect). You're right...it WAS from Nigel Molesworth that we drew those references, though we also read the Adrian Mole books. How could I forget!And, yes, I loved it, and yes, share the Anglophile bit. My bad, and thanks !!!!

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) I think I started writing first because of Jo from Little Women and then Elizabeth from Sweet Valley High!

message 49: by Tahleen (new)

Tahleen Ahaha I love this. I wish I could remember things I did... I probably created some game or named areas of my backyard after I read Anne of Green Gables. I also remember one year in the winter we had a power outage for days and my mom wanted to go to a hotel, but I was like, hey all of the heroines in the books I read are tough enough to sleep on the ground outside, I should be fine without heat in a house that has beds and blankets!

message 50: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (roxy_nj) | 354 comments I remembered something else!! No idea what book it was from but......a character trained himself to wake up without an alarm clock by repeating the time he wanted to wake up over and over in his head before falling asleep.
I started doing it last night, hence my sudden memory burst. LOL. I think it work, can't be positive since I don't keep a clock on my night-table.

« previous 1