Boxall's 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die discussion

Archives > We have that 1002nd book that MUST be read before were done!

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vicky (new)

Vicky | 45 comments Excuse me for not expressing vibes of welcome, but I don't think people on this thread are looking for the 1002th book to read. Enough!

message 2: by Tricia (new)

Tricia | 4 comments If I had to add an 1002th book, it would be Someone Not Really Her Mother. I just finished it. It was a very short read, but well worth it.

message 3: by CD (new)

CD  | 49 comments Book Lover wrote: "where do u c the 1001 books 2 read?"

One source is found at:

http://www.listsofbests.com/list/2222

Christina Stind | 183 comments Vicky wrote: "Excuse me for not expressing vibes of welcome, but I don't think people on this thread are looking for the 1002th book to read. Enough!"

Well said, Vicky. I think we're all starting to loose our patience...

Kathryn Parmeter | 10 comments It would help if the rules could be viewed somewhere that's generally accessible...

message 6: by Bishop (last edited Jan 08, 2009 12:34AM) (new)

Bishop (a_bishop) | 72 comments Isn't the group description pretty clear on this point? I'm not trying to be a jerk, but it's right there in black and white.

There's even a picture of the book and a link to the list. What is it exactly that is not "generally accessible?"

message 7: by Sarah Jane (new)

Sarah Jane spam spam spam spam spam

message 8: by Yrinsyde (new)

Yrinsyde | 254 comments Mmm - if there has to be a book that must be on this list but isn't - I would have Sutonius (sp?) biographies of the Ceasers. It is in the Classics canon and is a fascinating and fun read! I'd recommend it.

message 9: by Will (last edited Feb 02, 2009 12:31PM) (new)

Will Boncher (willandbeyond) The list that you link to actually has 1002 books on it... Look at the very last page and you'll see this.

Edit: Similarly, the group bookshelf has 1238 books...

message 10: by Kathryn Parmeter (new)

Kathryn Parmeter | 10 comments Bishop, you were being a jerk, to the novice, clicking on the hypertext of the name of the group is not necessarily intuitive, to get the list etc. Sorry to be such a luddite, but get a grip.

I did get help, and now I'm clear on the process. But not from you.

message 11: by Bishop (new)

Bishop (a_bishop) | 72 comments Right...because why would anyone actually check to see what group they were in before posting? That's crazy talk. Thanks for setting me straight.

Oh yeah, now I AM trying to be a jerk.

(Admittedly, its not that much of a stretch for me.)

message 12: by Kathryn Parmeter (new)

Kathryn Parmeter | 10 comments I knew what group I was in, I couldn't, as my inquiry indicated, figure out where to find the list. And someone happily actually helped me, instead of trying to find some seam in my entrails and widen it. For no reason, except, I assume, your own amusement. I do that too, when I'm profoundly depressed and I think I'm despicable--I take out others. Not much of a stretch to assume similar conditions underlying your thread.

Anyway, in the interests of not being labeled a flame-inciter, the kiss of death on discussion boards, I hereby MOVE ON.

message 13: by Bishop (new)

Bishop (a_bishop) | 72 comments Kathryn wrote: "...instead of trying to find some seam in my entrails and and widen it...I do that too, when I'm profoundly depressed and I think I'm despicable--I take out others. Not much of a stretch to assume similar conditions underlying your thread. "

Ha!

message 14: by Emma (new)

Emma (mnium) | 138 comments Will wrote: "The list that you link to actually has 1002 books on it... Look at the very last page and you'll see this.

Edit: Similarly, the group bookshelf has 1238 books..."

I personally prefer the spreadsheet that can be downloaded at http://johnandsheena.co.uk/books/?pag... and the new 2008 version of the list at http://www.listsofbests.com/list/57568 which has remained, thus far, unadulterated.

I think the reason that there are more than 1001 books on the group's bookshelf might have something to do with the fact that there are 2 versions of the list. Some books were dropped for the 2008 version and new ones were added. So instead of deleting all the books that were dropped from the 2006 edition, the group may have simply added the books from the new edition. Or, as is more likely the case, as the shelf is not locked for editing, people add things that are not on the list. The moderators of this group seem to me to be more interested in the monthly book club aspect of their group than in going around cleaning up after people. That would be a fruitless, never-ending task that would make one insane.

message 15: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (awallis) | 4 comments The updated spreadsheet that includes all books from 2006, 2008 and 2010 is 1294 books. This obviously includes books that were removed from newer editions.The group bookshelf seems to be missing only a few of the combined list if 1238 is correct.

I am trying to complete the whole list, including updates so as they keep changing the list so my work keeps increasing.