Glens Falls (NY) Online Book Discussion Group discussion

Let's compare weather! > Weather: Mon. Dec. 22, 2008 (What's YOUR weather?)

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Monday, Dec. 22, 2008 - Glens Fall, NY
Mostly cloudy with a chance of snow showers in the morning...then partly sunny in the afternoon. Areas of blowing snow.
Chance of snow 40 percent.
West winds around 15 mph with gusts up to 30 mph.
Highs in the lower 20s.

Temp at 12:14 AM: 19.2 °F
Above from: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/f...

message 2: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 6329 comments We had a big wind blow in yesterday. Kept waking me up early Sunday morning. I was talking to Mom, in Maryland, & she said they had freezing rain. It was still dark out (Mom & I generally talk 5 - 6am. No one else bugs us then, for some reason.) but seemed dry here in Frankfort, KY. The temperature was 29.

By the time I got in from the shop around lunch time, it was in the teens. The wind was blowing hard, which made it seem colder. I had to fix the barn doors on the old tobacco barn, they were blowing around. Cold job.

This morning, it was 4 degrees when I left the house. Not as much wind, but still a stiff breeze. Very, cold. Yuck.

message 3: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Hi Jim - Looks like Jack Frost is very busy everywhere this December. Folks who who live an hour south of us have been without electricity for several days because of the ice.

We'll all have to start wearing woollies. Remember them?
If not, see link below: ===> :)
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictio...

message 4: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 6329 comments I used to wear woolies, but I never cared much for long underwear, especially the drop hatch type. I prefer overalls. I have a nice heated house & shop that I wind up in when it gets too cold. Overalls are much easier to deal with, especially when they get wet or dirty & they have extra pockets.

While I have a nice down vest & Carhart jacket, I tend to wear a thin fleece vest & a wool sports coat most of the time. I get the latter for $5 from Goodwill & it's about the perfect weight for all but for a long time in the coldest weather. (I was wearing it yesterday.) If I tear it up, it's easy to replace & cheap. I make sure I get one with cotton pockets - the silk ones wear out too fast. They last 2 - 3 years, generally.

My pockets are always stuffed with something. Baling twine, trash, fence parts, nails or what have you. My mother & wife have complained for years. Mom has never forgiven me after finding a dead toad in my pants pockets one time - it was well over 40 years ago. Not sure if I was even in school yet.

I don't know what the big deal is. I try to clean my pockets out, but they find one little piece of wire in their shirt or a .22 shell in their sock & get all bent out of shape. It's unreasonable.

message 5: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments I've come to love fleece too. It's has a pleasurable feel to it, as well as being warm and light too. But I love down too, especially for outer wear. It's light and warm as well.

I'm smiling at the fact that you leave stuff in your pockets, Jim. Ed does his own laundry. So I never know what he's had in his pockets. Maybe you should do your own laundry, Jim. (lol) Then they won't know what's been in your pockets. (only kidding!) I'm sure you're busy enough without having laundry to to.

You seem to have it all figured out about which materials are best pocket materials. I've never thought about that. You're always thinking! (lol)

message 6: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Dec 22, 2008 11:30AM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments PS-Jim, about that dead toad... ewww! Your poor mom! :) ...and the poor toad!

(See the story of the minnow here: ====>
http://wordsmith.org/words/minnow.html

message 7: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 6329 comments "Ewww!", was the least of what my mother had to say then or for decades after. I have no idea why I thought I needed to put the toad in my pocket, but you know how little boys are. It was there, cool & something to be looked at later. I just forgot. At least I didn't dress them up like my wife did.

The minnow story just doesn't do it for me. A minnow is bait for a bigger fish, whether on a hook or off. I have too many good memories of fishing & eating the catch with my family from my grandfather down to my daughter & hopefully will with grandkids. If someone wants to be a vegetarian, vegan or whatever, that's their business. I'm an omnivore & quite happy to be at the top of the food chain. I know where my food comes from & am OK with it.

I don't believe in being cruel to animals - I often like them better than some people - but some are born to be dinner. I've raised & butchered pigs, sheep, steers, chickens & all kinds of other fowl, including peacocks, which rate with turkeys for being tough to pluck. Actually, steers were butchered at the local shop, but I've watched the process. I've butchered everything I hunted like deer & various birds. I never cared much for snappers, lampreys, eels or groundhogs.

Animals can be people too, but that doesn't mean I like all of them. I still remember Becky, a heifer that made my life misery for a year. She would never come in & make me chase her around - until we got to the hill down to the barn, then she'd run as fast as she could & drag me if I tripped. She'd run back into the field if I let go. I enjoyed every steak & hamburger we made out of her. She was just too ornery to keep around & made a fine plate.

message 8: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments LOL - I think I like your heifer, Becky. Reminds me of the quote:
"Well behaved women rarely make history". -Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

In fact, Ulrich wrote a book with that title. See cover-link below: ===>
Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History by Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Becky will never be forgotten by you. Loved your anecdote about her!

As for the food chain, it's long been my opinion that God might have thought of a better way of keeping living things alive. Why is it that living things must eat other living things to stay alive? We take it all for granted and call it "nature" or "the food chain", but giving it a name, doesn't explain the why of it.

It's a monstrous idea, IMO. But who am I to doubt our creator. :) Maybe some day I'll know the why and wherefore of his thinking. I hope so.

Meanwhile, I do enjoy my steak. I like it rare. :)

message 9: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Latest forecast for tonight:
"Partly cloudy this evening...then clearing.
Lows around 6 below."

A-a-argh!

message 10: by Jackie (last edited Dec 23, 2008 06:42AM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments We finished our day at -11. BBRRRR! It's cold outside!

message 11: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 6329 comments Heat wave! It was up to 19 this morning. Yeah!

message 12: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Jackie... -11 degrees! Wow. I always worry about pipes freezing.

Jim... 19 degrees! That's positively tropical! (lol)

message 13: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments We're at 10 degrees F right now, that's a big improvement, LOL. This is January weather.
Joy, do you remember about 6 or so years ago, we broke all kinds of records for January, we stayed below zero for most of the month? My heat bill was huge that month!

message 14: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Dec 23, 2008 09:39AM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Jackie, don't remind me of those awful cold spells! (lol) I'm afraid this is one of them. They predict sleet and freezing rain for Wednesday. :-(

message 15: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments I know, just what we need, an inch or two of ice ON TOP OF the 3 feet of snow we already have outside!
It feels like it's going to be a long time until April when I can see the ground again!

message 16: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments I'm worried about the effect of the weight of the ice on our roofs and on our wires and trees. Ice does so much damage. I don't ever remember it being this bad. Friends of ours in Schenectady were (or have been) without electricity for several days.

message 17: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments We get power outages every winter. Usually it's fixed pretty quickly, never a full day. We'll probably get one if the ice is as bad as they predict.
A & E are gone, so that means' I'll have to shovel all that heavy ice by myself. Not looking forward to that.
I was just watching the Weather Channel and on Friday, we'll be getting more freezing rain and ice. There was a big band of Red (severe) stretching from around Kansas to east of us. Yuck, this is going to be a bad winter. Maybe we'll get it out of the way early and have an early Spring. One can hope...

message 18: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Yes, let's think spring. :) In fact, I'm thinking summer already.

Meanwhile, I'm enjoying listening to the Christmas music on my CDs. I stopped listening to the news because all they do is talk about how bad things are. Meanwhile I'm living in my illusion of "Winter Wonderland".