We show libraries everywhere whats up discussion

Books you're embarassed that you've never read...

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laila (BigReadingLife) (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:55PM) (new)

Laila (BigReadingLife) I've never read The Old Man and the Sea by Hemingway. Or anything by Tolstoy or Dostoyevsky. I've never read The Kite Runner, although everyone and their mom has told me I must. I've never read Don Quixote, or Macbeth.

Anyone else with some juicy book confessions?

message 2: by Bess (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:56PM) (new)

Bess | 2 comments ooooh! great idea, Laila!
I have never read Tolstoy either, and I have never read The Red Badge of Courage, anything by Tolkien other than The Hobbit, Gone with the Wind, or ANY Virginia Woolf.

There are scads of titles to add to that list. But for the record, Don Quixote is a long-ass book! And no, I haven't read that book either.

message 3: by Laila (BigReadingLife) (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:57PM) (new)

Laila (BigReadingLife) I've never read ANY Tolkein, but I have read a few of Virginia Woolf's novels... I'd recommend To The Lighthouse if you're going to read just one. It's one of my all-time favorite books.

message 4: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 3 comments I haven't read The Kite Runner either. I'm the only one in my book group who hasn't and, as they keep reminding me, I'm the libraian. I've also never completely read Gone With the Wind. I kinda cheated my way through it in high school.

message 5: by Diana (last edited Mar 14, 2008 10:30AM) (new)

Diana Rogers i've never read the kite runner or any of the harry potter books but i'm not particularly embarassed by it.
never read any beckett or faulkner (i don't think a rose for emily counts). never read moby dick or dracula. as a knoxvillian i'm ashamed to admit that i've never read suttree.
and i've never read proust but i'd like to read some someday.
i consider it a sin that i've never read alice in wonderland, considering i own all kinds of alice paraphenalia.

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann Voss (AnnVoss) | 1 comments As a librarian, in an elementary school, I am surprised by the adult books I have not read. After seeing the Jane Austen Book Club movie, I was inspired to read her. I am now addicted to audio books! I started with Persuasion, and thoroughly enjoyed it. I suggested to my librarian book group we read something of her's, and was relieved to to find I was not the only one who had not read her. We chose, of course, Pride and Prejudice and am looking forward to the discussion as we have a few anglophiles in the group. With audio books I can easily finish a book while commmuting or traveling, and read children's literature at home. Gone with the Wind was the first book I read after graduating from college, and it was a wonderful experience. I do recommend it.

message 7: by Bess (new)

Bess | 2 comments Diana,
Prout's Swann's Way is wonderful and as you probably know, it is the 1st book in his "In Search of Lost Time" collection. Filled with warm memories of childhood, almost lyrical in a Terence Malick sense-the acute attention to detail to little things that you think only you notice as a child. I loved it.

message 8: by Diana (new)

Diana Rogers cool. i'll add swann's way to my to-read list.

message 9: by Laura Beth (new)

Laura Beth (yoplait39) | 3 comments Hey! I'm new to your club, and Goodreads. Like Diana, i'm not embarrassed that i haven't read the Harry Potter Series, though I should be. Laila, The Old man by the sea is great. My biggest confession is that i havn't read the Twilight Series. P.S. it's good to be here!

Laila (BigReadingLife) Welcome, Laura Beth. I'm afraid this group isn't very active! I don't think you should be embarassed that you've never read Harry Potter. But I'd seriously recommend giving it a shot! It's just great fun and terribly addictive and consuming.

message 11: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 3 comments You shouldn't feel guilty about not reading the Twilight Series. There are better and more significant things to spend your time reading. Once I hit twenty-five, vampire love stories stopped appealing to me.

message 12: by Amy (new)

Amy Wheatley (awheatley) | 1 comments I was a K-8 librarian for the past 3 years and haven't read any Harry Potter after the first 2 or any of the LOTR trilogy, although fantasy is my favorite genre.

We show libraries everywhere whats up

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Gone with the Wind (other topics)