Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Can't seem to combine these 2

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robin (new)

Robin (robinsullivan) | 9 comments Not sure if I'm doing something wrong I'm trying to combine a Kindle and a paperback and I can't seem to get them to both show up on a screen to do the combine. Can you help me with what I'm doing wrong?

The books in question:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/55...
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/43...

How would I combine them?

message 2: by Ravenskya (new)

Ravenskya  (ravenskya) | 17 comments He seems to be showing up as 2 different authors at the moment... I'm trying to figure out why

message 3: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Someone was working on these recently, I think...?

message 4: by Ravenskya (new)

Ravenskya  (ravenskya) | 17 comments I can't look at his goodreads author profile to see if there is some deviation in his name between the two, and other than that... I'm not an experienced enough librarian to know how to merge the two authors.

message 5: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 44644 comments Mod
I tried several things to merge the two authors (because they are definitely the same guy), but because I can't edit the GR author's profile, I can't see what the difference is.

I'll email Jessica.

message 6: by jenjn79 (last edited Dec 19, 2008 12:32PM) (new)

jenjn79 | 565 comments One of them has an extra space in the name

Michael J.^^Sullivan
Michael J.^Sullivan

The one with the extra space was the GR author one. I added the space to the other book, then went and combined them.

So that's taken care of, just for the sake of having them combined.

There is another Michael J. Sullivan.

I'm guessing it's not the same guy who wrote the book originally posted about?

EDIT: though the profile above has info for the book mentioned. I think there's some issue with who is who on this one...

EDIT 2: Michael J. Sullivan (2 spaces) has written two books, which are at this GR Author profile:
profile here

Michael J. Sullivan (1 space) is just a bunch of random books that are probably written by more than one Michael J. Sullivan.
profile here

message 7: by Ravenskya (new)

Ravenskya  (ravenskya) | 17 comments Ask Robin, the one who made this post... she's his wife, she'll know what he's written.

message 8: by Robin (new)

Robin (robinsullivan) | 9 comments It appears that this is corrected - thanks.

message 9: by Alan (new)

Alan (takingsky) | 6 comments Hi, I'm also having trouble combining different editions of my book 'Taking Doreen out of the Sky' - it picks up another book by a different Alan Beard (Fire Safety one) when I try and combine. Here are the two:
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/31...
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/31...

message 10: by vicki_girl (last edited Jan 08, 2009 06:49AM) (new)

vicki_girl | 2765 comments I fixed it.

One of the editions had two spaces between the first and last name of the author. Your Goodreads Author profile only has one space. I fixed the "Doreen" with two spaces to one instead and combined.

Is the book "Going the Distance" yours also? If not I will add a space and it will go to the other author.

Michael, if you read this, please add to the disambiguation list.

message 11: by Alan (new)

Alan (takingsky) | 6 comments Hi Vicki_girl,
yes 'Going the Distance' is mine. Thanks for your help, much appreciated.
Alan

message 12: by Alan (new)

Alan (takingsky) | 6 comments ...although I should add that I am the editor of 'Going the Distance' not the author(it does contain a story of mine) - so can that be put in soemehow, rather than 'by Alan beard' 'edited by Alan beard'?

message 13: by vicki_girl (last edited Jan 08, 2009 07:12AM) (new)

vicki_girl | 2765 comments Yes.

Since you are the author, I believe you can edit the book yourself. Click on the book, then click the 'edit' link in the info box.

Then, next to your name, you can 'Add role' to be the Editor. You can also add a more informative description.

If it's not working, let me know and I can give it a try.

message 14: by Alan (new)

Alan (takingsky) | 6 comments hey great - I've done it! Added blurb to both of them successfully I think.
Thanks very much