Book Geeks and Bookniks discussion

What We're Reading > It's a few days late but whacha reading?

Comments (showing 1-25 of 25) (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 95 comments I'm reading 50 Shades of Grey bc I needed a break from True Crime! Nightmares!

message 2: by Lynne - The Book Squirrel (last edited Apr 05, 2012 01:27AM) (new)

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (SquirrelsEnd) I am reading Hell's Belles by Jackie Kessler and The Magicians and Mrs. Quent by Galen Beckett - loving both.

Also got Orcs by Stan Nicholls in the car that I listen to when driving.

message 4: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen (gkonkler5) Vicky wrote: "I am re-reading Catching Fire and Mockingjay. I kind of read them at a very fast pace before so I decided to re-read them.

I saw the movie over the weekend. It wa..."

I saw it and enjoyed it very much. Thought was a good compliment to the book.

message 6: by Caroline (new)

Caroline  (Caro7) I just started My Sister's Keeper by Picoult. I've only read the first two chapters so far, but it has not yet hooked me. I will abandon it if it doesn't hook me in the next two chapters, most likely.

Vicky, I saw the movie and thought it was very well done, and I NEVER like movie versions of books. I was very surprised to have enjoyed it as much as I did.

message 7: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen (gkonkler5) Caroline wrote: "I just started My Sister's Keeper by Picoult. I've only read the first two chapters so far, but it has not yet hooked me. I will abandon it if it doesn't hook me in the next two chapters, most like..."

Book is a little better and my daughter was very upset at the changed ending.

message 8: by Caroline (new)

Caroline  (Caro7) Are you talking about My Sister's Keeper having a changed ending in the movie?

message 9: by Julie (new)

Julie | 59 comments I'm reading The Incredible Shrinking Critic: 75 Pounds and Counting: My Excellent Adventure in Weight Loss. Almost finished. Don't know what's up next. I've got an order of 11 books coming from bookcloseouts! Can't wait!

message 10: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen (gkonkler5) Caroline wrote: "Are you talking about My Sister's Keeper having a changed ending in the movie?"

Yes I believe in the movie the ending is different.

message 11: by Theresa (new)

Theresa I finished The Wild Rose today and took it back to the library. But the library was closed this afternoon, so I have nothing but the latest issue of Vogue to read until tomorrow.

message 12: by Mary (new)

Mary | 236 comments ACK, Theresa! OK, calm down, now. Try not to panic! Take deep breaths, and take it hour by hour. You'll make it through! ;-)

message 13: by Liz (new)

Liz Oh Theresa! I had that happen last weekend - went to the library on Sun. afternoon when they are normally open & discovered they were closed for Cesar Chavez Day! Then, they are closed on Mondays! Actually had to read books I had sitting on my shelves!!!! It was really touch & go for awhile there. LOL!

message 14: by Annika (new)

Annika Yikes! We're here for support;)

message 15: by Theresa (new)

Theresa You are all so fabulous. I love this group!

message 16: by Theresa (new)

Theresa I could have picked up any book that I have in the house, and I did dip into Gone With the Wind again last night, but I always like to have library books around. Fear not, I made it to the library this afternoon and checked out: The Night Strangers (started but don't know if I'll finish), White Heat, and The Retribution. I almost did get that last one, but then I reminded myself that this was the library, so it was free to try it!

message 17: by Caroline (new)

Caroline  (Caro7) Well, I read the first three chapters of My Sister's Keeper, then gave up in exasperation. I really do not care for Picoult's style. Sorry, fans. I am now reading She's Come Undone instead and am up to chapter 4. I'm finding the story overall so depressing, but I do like it better than the Picoult book, so I'm sticking with it for now.

message 18: by Deborah (last edited Apr 08, 2012 09:50AM) (new)

Deborah I've got a few books going right now: Sanctus (pretty interesting read - got it in big typeface at the library and really liking that), Shades of Grey (just for laughs - enjoying this strange sci fi thriller about people whose social standing is based on the ability to see color), The Litigators by Grisham (easy read), and Gilead (this one is on audio and is about a guy who is dying and is writing a story to his son - balancing it out with easy reads).

message 19: by Theresa (new)

Theresa Deborah wrote: "I've got a few books going right now: Sanctus (pretty interesting read - got it in big typeface at the library and really liking that), Shades of Grey (just for laughs - enjoying this strange sci ..."
I absolutely adored
Gilead.

message 20: by Theresa (new)

Theresa Deborah wrote: "I've got a few books going right now: Sanctus (pretty interesting read - got it in big typeface at the library and really liking that), Shades of Grey (just for laughs - enjoying this strange sci ..."

I just put Shades of Grey on hold at the library, so it looks like I will be able to meet the April challenge after all!

message 21: by Sarenna (new)

Sarenna (djsthree) | 16 comments I really liked Shades of Grey. But, the Thursday Next series is still my favorite by far. I'm currently reading The Sense of an Ending. I am finding that I hate every single character. I am 2/3 of the way through, only 50 or so more pages, I'm sure I'll just power through.

message 22: by Tina (new)

Tina (lancejrmommy) | 59 comments Fifty Shades of Grey
which I think a lot of people are reading.

message 23: by Heather (new)

Heather Doherty | 96 comments Caroline wrote: "Well, I read the first three chapters of My Sister's Keeper, then gave up in exasperation. I really do not care for Picoult's style. Sorry, fans. I am now reading She's Come Undone ins..."

She's Come Undone is fantastic and My Sister's Keeper gets my vote for one of the most terrible books I have ever finished, so I think you came out ahead.

message 24: by Heather (new)

Heather Doherty | 96 comments I am within pages of finishing The Last Town on Earth, which I picked up at the library because I really enjoyed The Revisionists. I am also reading The Happiness Project and loving it. As a student of psychology I am getting a huge kick out of the story of one woman's attempt to apply as many theories of happiness to her own life as she possibly can. I am also finding some useful ideas for increasing my own happiness. Who doesn't want more happiness?

message 25: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen (gkonkler5) Heather wrote: "I am within pages of finishing The Last Town on Earth, which I picked up at the library because I really enjoyed The Revisionists. I am also reading [book:The Happiness..."

Sounds great!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Hell's Belles (other topics)
The Magicians and Mrs. Quent (other topics)
Orcs (other topics)
Below Stairs: The Classic Kitchen Maid's Memoir That Inspired "Upstairs, Downstairs" and "Downton Abbey" (other topics)
Catching Fire (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Jackie Kessler (other topics)
Galen Beckett (other topics)
Stan Nicholls (other topics)