You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Closed Discussion Topic > If loving books is wrong, I don't wanna be right

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (new)

Heather (hpduck) So....Does loving books and carrying them around wherever you go mean that you are addicted? And is being addicted to reading (of all things) such a bad thing??

I just got told by someone I consider my friend...that I read too much. Part of me thinks that she is just jealous of the fact that I read much more than her and much faster than her...but a small part of me worries that she is right.

This might be the wrong venue to bring my worries to, as I know you are all avid readers as well. But, what do you guys think??

message 2: by Jenny, honorary mod - inactive (last edited Dec 17, 2008 02:03PM) (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 846 comments Well I think it probably is possible to read too much. If reading effects your social and family life. i.e. you never make time to see your friends because of it/you forget to feed the gerbil, that kinda thing! But then again it's probably a better addiction compared to playing video games/watching tv/drinking/drugs :P

I read a lot and take a book with me everywhere but it's a healthy addiction not a dangerous or destructive one. I don't think my bf is about to dumb me because I read too much!

message 3: by Jenny, honorary mod - inactive (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 846 comments At least I don't think he is :P

message 4: by Allison (new)

Allison (theallisonnelson) | 27 comments My boyfriend always tells me it's a good addiction, but I can see where it could get in the way of your responsibilities and your relationships with other people. If you want to call it an addiction, that's okay - like Jenny said, it's healthy. I think it was the most recent Self magazine that suggested to all women to carry a paperback around and read whenever they get the chance, because it boosts brain activity. What's so bad about that?!

As long as none of these things are being neglected, what's the problem, you know? Maybe your friend is just jealous, like you said. Or maybe she doesn't understand the way we would (and do!)

message 5: by Ellie (new)

Ellie I think some people just don't get the reading addiction at all...my boyf doesnt mind, excpet when I'm reading something really good and want to finish it, when i will read a bit in advert breaks or while walking about the house!

I think its fine, for me carrying a book or two with me at all times is essential, and then I am never bored! You never know when you'll have a delay on the tube or a traffic jam on the bus!