Runs with scissors discussion

general topic > A rant- flavor of the month books and the fall out of negative opinion of the same

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kim, Wild-eyed Bibliomaniac (last edited Dec 27, 2008 08:47AM) (new)

Kim (mrsnesbitt) | 629 comments Mod
I have a rant that I need to get off my chest. You all may choose to ignore me or you might feel how I do, either way, here goes. I did not like the "Twilight" series. I do not like Stephanie Meyer's style and do not want to read anymore of her books, yet so many people feel the need to call me out on the carpet for having an opinion that differs from their love of the books, like I am some sort of villain for daring to go against popular opinion. I am facinated by the resulting shit storm I have aparently created on one of the other book clubs I belong to for this discenting opinion. Yes, I am harsh on the books, but after reading all 4 books before passing judgement, and keeping in mind that I read that genre a lot,I have seen it done much better. I read all types of books geared for all ages, so I am not just an "old fart" who doesn't get it. Am I the only person who feels this way? I don't mean just about "Twlight" but about books in general. All of you have read and rated books that sometimes we have agreed on and others not, yet I don't see any of you raking each-other over the coals for a difference of opinion. Am I wrong in thinking that is a supposedly free country where we are allowed to be different, or are we only allowed to be different under the geas of popular opinion? As long as you think like us it's alright, be an iconoclast and you must be blasted for your opinion, tried to be brought around to our way of thinking, or refusing that, we will stone you to death?

I know that if I have an opinion, so will somebody else, but since when do I need to be bludgeoned into submission by someone else's opinion? A lively discussion is one thing, but to have verbal boxing matches over what you think of a book?! For crying out loud, if you like it,fine. Read it, love it,own it, treasure it, but don't attack me for not lovingit along with you. Respect others opinions and don't treat discenter's like dirt or the plague,or...you get the point. I guess I am done for now, but how do the rest of you feel? Have any of you been atacked for not liking a popular book of the moment? Or am I just being an "old fart" who doesn't get it?

message 2: by Rikki (new)

Rikki (shepo) You are not alone! I didn't read them until after the movie came out, and I only did because my boss' daughter said they "changed her life", yeah she's 13. I'm not knocking the genre though, but I didn't like her style.
Nobody should be attacked because you don't agree on a book, or series or genre. I'm reminded of the Mission Hill episode where the French brothers are arguing about "It takes all kinds of fruit to make fruit salad" Its true. I'm more opinionated then alot of people, and I don't verbally assult someone's reading preference.

message 3: by Kim, Wild-eyed Bibliomaniac (new)

Kim (mrsnesbitt) | 629 comments Mod
Thank you! I was reamed repeatedly by a 16 year old for not liking her precious "Twilight" and could not be brought around to her way of thinking. Anyone I know will tell you that I am passionate about a lot of things and that I am not shy about telling people what I think, but I do try to respect other's opinions, unless they are based on false information, because everyone is entitled to have said opinions. The sad thing is,the book club this all started in is called "Books I loathed".....go fig.

message 4: by Paul (new)

Paul (merman1967) | 113 comments I must agree that it is insane for someone to feel that everyone HAS to like the same books that he or she likes. So what if I don't like what you like? So what if I think that the book someone absolutely worshios is mere drivel? I have the right to my opinion the same as everyone else does. I have not read the "Twilight" books and thus have no opinion on them yet. However, should I read the first and hate it, I will NOT keep my mouth shut so as not to upset the kiddies!

message 5: by A. (new)

A. | 59 comments I haven't read "Twilight" as yet either. But you shouldn't be beaten up verbally because you disagree with someone. However passionate a pre-teen is about it. If we all liked the same thing there would be a resounding lack of reading material as we would all be reading "The life and times of the period a t the end of the sentence." WOW!!!! Sounds like a good one to me!
At least you were willing to give the ENTIRE series a go before you passed judgment, Kim, not many would.