Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > "Emma" by Bronte has been combined with "Emma" by Austen

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Min (new)

Min (unktehi) | 26 comments I stumbled across this today - it was an issue before, too.

ISBN 0553234315 (9780553234312), which is the story Emma by Charlotte Brontë (and another lady), has been combined with Jane Auten's Emma.
Would someone untangle these, please?

Thanks!

message 2: by Ravenskya (new)

Ravenskya  (ravenskya) | 17 comments Did anyone get this one yet? I'll start working on it

message 3: by Ravenskya (new)

Ravenskya  (ravenskya) | 17 comments I think I have it sorted out... let me know if it's not fixed

message 4: by Min (new)

Min (unktehi) | 26 comments The reviews are still mixed up, but the books seem to be sorted now. Can the reviews be linked to their proper books?

message 5: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 45058 comments Mod
Only by the individual users. Librarians cannot transfer reviews.

message 6: by Min (new)

Min (unktehi) | 26 comments Ah, well.
Thanks for fixing it Kristen! And thanks for the info, Rivka!

message 7: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 45058 comments Mod
I wish GR would require all librarians to join this group. (Although unless they also actually read posts, just being members wouldn't do much!) The librarian who mistakenly changed the author name two months ago isn't even a member of this group. Short of emailing her, I'm not sure how to be sure she doesn't mistakenly switch it back again.

Don't get me wrong: every GR librarian makes mistakes. I have sometimes seen problems mentioned here and realized or discovered that I had helped create it, or had been doing the same thing, etc.

But when librarians aren't even reading this group . . .

message 8: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Moorhouse I wandered over to check on one of my pet authors the other day, and someone had had a field day doing inappropriate combinations. Who combines bibliography and essays with a gift set? Meh.

message 9: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2413 comments Re your wish Rivka. I honestly don't understand why any member would want to be a Goodreads librarian but not be a member of this group. I've always thought it should be a requirement. For months I thought that is was a requirement. But, you're correct: being a member of the group but not keeping up with the messages wouldn't be that helpful.

message 10: by q (new)

q | 15 comments Lisa wrote: "But, you're correct: being a member of the group but not keeping up with the messages wouldn't be that helpful.

I generally don't read the group. I'm a nearly inactive librarian; I only got the status so I don't have to bug someone else to do work if I spot something obvious.

Unless the change I'm about to make is truly a no-brainer, I do swing by this group and search to see if there's been previous discussion of it. Maybe suggesting such searches would be a good thing to add to the librarian manual.

message 11: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Moorhouse I picked up a copy of Charlotte Bronte's Emma yesterday in a charity shop, and went to add it to my shelves, and yes, it had once more mysteriously become Jane Austen's Emma. There was no indication in the librarian's log of who'd changed it, alas. So I changed it back again. And left a librarian note AND a librarian comment. And the next person to change it will be hunted down and suffocated in a bag of Twilight returns.

message 12: by Elizabeth S (new)

Elizabeth S (esorenson) | 5 comments SF SQRL wrote: "...And the next person to change it will be hunted down and suffocated in a bag of Twilight returns. "

That has got to be the scariest threat I've seen in a long time. If I were the offending party, I'd run for cover!

message 13: by Eva Marie (new)

Eva Marie (evamarie3578) | 755 comments Lisa wrote: "Re your wish Rivka. I honestly don't understand why any member would want to be a Goodreads librarian but not be a member of this group. I've always thought it should be a requirement. For months I..."

I agree 100% Lisa. It makes no sense. I do a lot of minor edits but I always check before I do anything I'm unsure of. I'd hate to make a mistake that affects so many people.
I'd still email her- whenever I see someone adding books wrong for instance, I usually send a little message telling them the proper way and inviting them to ask a librarian for help if it's needed. I've gotten quite a few thank you's from people who has no clue they were doing it wrong.

message 14: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2413 comments Eva, That's wonderful that you message people. I do occasionally but probably not regularly enough.