Queer books discussion

"Call me by Your Name" by Andre Aciman

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:50PM) (new)

Michael This is one of the books I suggested in an earlier post. I just started reading it last night, and something happened that rarely occurs when I read a book by someone I'm totally unfamiliar with: I couldn't stop reading it! But I had to cause I had to get up early this morning! I'm close to half-way through and couldn't wait to start talking about it with others who have read it.

This is a tender and lyrical love story that follows the emotional ripening of 17-year-old Elio, who falls gloriously hard for an older, 24-year-old visiting scholar named Oliver, a research assistant for Elio’s father. It is set during the Italian summer and the story chronicles the subtle nuances of desire, fear and illogic known to all as "first love".

Normally I find coming-of-age stories incredibly dull, but the author has such insight and he is able to tell this story in such a lyrical way, that I can't wait to finish... hopefully tonight! So far I'm finding the author really captures all the beautiful passion and fine, demonstrative detail of young love at its obsessive best.

More when I finish it! Anyone else read it?

Michael

message 2: by Michael (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:53PM) (new)

Michael Well, I'm still reading this book. Had hoped to be finished by now, but other responsibilities have caused a delay.

I'm now about 2/3 of the way through and I'm ever more impressed with this work than I thought I would be at the beginning. The style of writing is changing somewhat, but ever so subtly. I think the author is doing a really good job of paralleling the subtle changes in the protagonist and the writing style. What I thought initially was going to be a typical (and predictible) coming-of-age story, is now taking on a life of it's own. It's hard to describe those changes in this short space, but, so far, this is a work I will probably put on my list to re-read at some point.

I'll offer my humble review in it's entirety as soon as I finish (hopefully inthe next day or so).

Michael

message 3: by Michael (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:01PM) (new)

Michael I should be finished with this book within the next couple of days. I've been busier than usual with other stuff in life, but, somehow I can't stop thinking about this story.

Michael

message 4: by Skip (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:01PM) (new)

Skip | 4 comments Soooo, what your saying Michael is you'd recommend this novel...:)

I'm going to check it out. I just did a search of our local libraries here in Mississippi, and surprisingly, "Call Me By Your Name" isn't in any of them. Shocking.
But Amazon has them for about $15.

message 5: by Michael (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:03PM) (new)

Michael Hello my friend, Skip! Nice to see you in this group! And yes, as a fellow Southerner (at least in my earlier years), it is indeed shocking that Mississippi libraries don't have Aciman's book!! You might find it next to the section entitled, "Great Baptist Literature"!!!!! I'm sure that section is extensive! LOL

Anyway, I think I've decided that I have unconsciously delayed finishing this book, because I don't want it to end. I have a sneaking suspicion that it's not going to fulfill my desire that everybody "live happily ever after." Oh well, such is life. I should be finished in the next day or so.

Look forward to hearing what you (and others) think about it.

Michael

message 6: by Michael (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:06PM) (new)

Michael Well, I finally finished the book. I won't give away anything in the plot, but I can say I will read anything this author writes!

By the way, I noticed in yesterday's N.Y.Times, this book has been named one of their "Notable Books for 2007."

Michael

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I read this book a while ago, and it keeps on creeping back into my thoughts. Not only is it an engaging story, but it is so well-written, that any fears of this being just another coming-of-age story are quickly dispelled. I can't recommend this book enough! Aciman also captures the languid heat of the Mediterranean perfectly.

message 8: by Elfscribe (new)

Elfscribe | 7 comments Thanks for the recommendation. It sounds great.

message 9: by Elfscribe (new)

Elfscribe | 7 comments Based on your recommendation, I read Call Me By Your Name last week. What a fabulous book. I loved it. Thanks for the rec.

message 10: by Ted (new)

Ted (efcorson) I can only echo what the rest of you have said. Especially Joe's comment that this book "keeps on creeping back into my thoughts." Michael, wold you agree that the ending is a killer, like OMG?

message 11: by Michael (last edited Jul 16, 2008 06:54AM) (new)

Michael Ted,
YES, definitely an OMG ending! What an author! Can't wait to read more by him.
Michael