Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Cover Help > Adding alternate cover for same edition?

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Grunthos (new)

Grunthos | 3 comments I've been reconciling my collection with missing covers at goodreads and come across a book that has the same edition details as my copy, but a different publication date and cover.

Is there a way to add an alternate cover to one edition?

Should I add another edition with the same ISBN and other details?

message 2: by Tntexas (new)

Tntexas | 404 comments My understanding is that you can't have duplicate ISBNs in the system, but you can create a new book/edition for the cover art you have. Be sure to leave the ISBN/ASIN field blank when you're creating it then after it's been added, edit the entry and add a librarian's note stating the entry is an alternate cover art entry for whatever the ISBN/ASIN is. Then be sure to combine the entry you just created and edited with the other editions of the book.

message 3: by Grunthos (new)

Grunthos | 3 comments It's perhaps a little trickier than I first made out: the edition I have has the same cover as another edition in the list, so it seems like overkill to add another edition again.

Also, part of my reason for doing this is so that I have the right cover *and* isbn showing in 'My Books'.

Experiment BL626 | 358 comments There's always a chance that the cover could simply be wrong. In your case, it sounds suspiciously like it is.

message 5: by Tntexas (new)

Tntexas | 404 comments Experiment wrote: "There's always a chance that the cover could simply be wrong. In your case, it sounds suspiciously like it is."

Don't publishing houses sometimes use the same cover art for different editions?

Experiment BL626 | 358 comments Tntexas wrote: "Don't publishing houses sometimes use the same cover art for different editions?"

They do. But you have to realize Goodreads isn't 100% accurate. We try to make it accurate, but sometime we do make mistakes.

Grunthos, you can go ahead and replace the cover if you want. You *own* the book, your cover is most likely the correct cover instead of the other one.

message 7: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl ??

Many books have the same ISBN, but different covers. There's no way to tell, from the information in this thread, whether we're talking about an incorrect cover or a correct cover. Having the book in your hand and matching an ISBN to a cover merely tells you that your cover is "a" correct cover for that ISBN. The safest solution is to create an alternate cover edition.

In particular now that it's become more difficult to get cover images, we need to be more careful about deleting them from the database.

message 8: by Tntexas (last edited Mar 02, 2012 07:07PM) (new)

Tntexas | 404 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "??

Many books have the same ISBN, but different covers. There's no way to tell, from the information in this thread, whether we're talking about an incorrect cover or a correct cover. Having the..."

This is what I was thinking. I think the safest thing to do is what I suggested earlier: Create a new edition with the cover art in hand and add a librarian's note stating it's an alternate cover entry for that particular ISBN.

message 9: by Grunthos (new)

Grunthos | 3 comments My problem with this solution is that I am using the APIs to sync my books, and with no ISBN on my edition, the sync is less useful.

I guess I can try adding another edition with the same ISBN, but as you say, it is probably disallowed.

message 10: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42425 comments Mod
Grunthos wrote: "I guess I can try adding another edition with the same ISBN"

It won't work. The system will not (can not) allow more than one book or edition with the same ISBN.

Adding an alternate-cover edition

message 11: by Terry (new)

Terry  (dulac3) | 9 comments Do you combine the alternate cover edition with the other editions of the book already on GR if you do this?

message 12: by Tntexas (new)

Tntexas | 404 comments Dulac3 wrote: "Do you combine the alternate cover edition with the other editions of the book already on GR if you do this?"

Yes, you do.

message 13: by Terry (new)

Terry  (dulac3) | 9 comments Great, thanks.

message 14: by Peter (new)

Peter (pete_c) | 388 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "??

Many books have the same ISBN, but different covers. There's no way to tell, from the information in this thread, whether we're talking about an incorrect cover or a correct cover."

I'd recommend looking at the Librarians Change Log, to see if one of the imports has loaded the cover image. If the cover is wrong, it is usually one that was changed by an import. I would assume that the cover is correct if it was loaded by another Librarian. (Publishers want the most current cover showing for books, so their import data usually shows the most current cover, which may not be the correct one for the data for a specific edition in the GR book database.)

message 15: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl Peter wrote: "I would assume that the cover is correct if it was loaded by another Librarian."

I wouldn't. I've seen librarians upload incorrect covers.

message 16: by Peter (new)

Peter (pete_c) | 388 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Peter wrote: "I would assume that the cover is correct if it was loaded by another Librarian."

I wouldn't. I've seen librarians upload incorrect covers."

Same here, but my point was that if the cover came from onix or ingram it would be indicative of a higher probability of it being wrong.

message 17: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 23756 comments I just reverted a librarian change to one of my covers, people make mistakes all the time.

She should of made an alternate cover or created her edition but I'm not convinced she had a clue cause my cover is the UK edition and pb and so far no-one has added the US cover as a pb, so I'm guessing she saw pb and switched covers.

message 19: by Melaslithos (new)

Melaslithos | 1356 comments #18 Done.

message 20: by Mintu (new)

Mintu | 285 comments #18 - then why am i still not able to see ISBN - 9780261103252 for the alternate cover edition - https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

message 21: by Melaslithos (new)

Melaslithos | 1356 comments The ISBN can be attributed to only one book.

For ACE, ISBN is added to the description and as a librarian note. I added it to both. Does that answer your question?

message 22: by Mintu (new)

Mintu | 285 comments Thank you ...
Just a query - so in "My Books" report , i wont be able to see ISBN13 value for this ACE ?? it will always be blank ??

message 23: by Melaslithos (new)

Melaslithos | 1356 comments Yes.

message 25: by Mintu (new)

Mintu | 285 comments Hi Melaslithos ,

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...
is an ACE of - https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

ISBN13 - 9780261103252

It's the special 50th anniversary edition cover.

message 26: by Melaslithos (new)

Melaslithos | 1356 comments OK, sorry, I got it wrong. It's fixed now. I'll do the Margaret Atwood book in a moment.

message 27: by Melaslithos (new)

message 28: by Mintu (new)

Mintu | 285 comments Melaslithos wrote: "OK, sorry, I got it wrong. It's fixed now. I'll do the Margaret Atwood book in a moment."

Thank you for the help ... :)

message 29: by Mintu (new)

Mintu | 285 comments I find that the cover-images of books that i own are incorrect in goodreads.. What should i do in this case ??

Create an alternate cover edition - or simply put a request for the current cover image to be updated to the one that i have ??

message 30: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7027 comments Add an alternate cover edition

message 31: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42425 comments Mod
Mintu wrote: "put a request for the current cover image to be updated to the one that i have ??"

We don't do that. Goodreads policy is to keep all published covers on the site, as users want to shelve the cover of the copy they have. Instead, we add an alternate-cover edition. See http://www.goodreads.com/help/show/85...

message 32: by Mintu (new)

Mintu | 285 comments rivka wrote:
We don't do that. Goodreads policy is to keep all published covers on the site, as users want to sh..."

Is it possible to add ISBN - 9780261103252 to my alternate cover edition - https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

so that the column doesnt come as blank when i do an export from MY BOOKS list ?

message 33: by Renske (new)

Renske | 10805 comments An ISBN can only be added to one edition, and in this case the other cover had already the ISBN.

message 34: by Mintu (new)

message 37: by Nanaa (last edited Nov 06, 2014 12:51AM) (new)

Nanaa (xxmzsmilesxx) | 1167 comments Hi Mintu, :)
So basically each one of your request for an ACE already is an ACE, the librarian has placed a note stating that it is an ACE on the book description box. You, yourself placed it as an ACE for #36 so I'm not sure why your posting to add it as an ACE.

message 38: by Mintu (new)

Mintu | 285 comments Nandar wrote: "Hi Mintu, :)
So basically each one of your request for an ACE already is an ACE, the librarian has placed a note stating that it is an ACE on the book description box. You, yourself placed it as an..."

oh i was not sure about the procedure ...
i had added a new version - added a librarian note "alternate cover edition for ISBN - #" ... thought thr's some extra step to be done by super-librarian after that ...

or is that all ???

message 39: by Nanaa (new)

Nanaa (xxmzsmilesxx) | 1167 comments Mintu wrote: "Nandar wrote: "Hi Mintu, :)
So basically each one of your request for an ACE already is an ACE, the librarian has placed a note stating that it is an ACE on the book description box. You, yourself ..."

After you add the ACE version and added a librarian note stating that it's an ACE, then that's all there needs to be done. :)

message 40: by Mintu (new)

Mintu | 285 comments Nandar wrote: "Mintu wrote: "Nandar wrote: "Hi Mintu, :)
So basically each one of your request for an ACE already is an ACE, the librarian has placed a note stating that it is an ACE on the book description box. ..."

Thank you ...