YA Apocalyptic and Dystopian Fiction discussion

Archived > Netgalley

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bethany (new)

Bethany Hey everyone. I just thought this would be a good discussion topic. I just became a Netgalley user and I am absolutely loving it. I was hesitant to create an account because I felt a little fraudulent seeing as how I'm not a blogger or librarian or teacher. But, I signed up as a reviewer and they've been approving my requests. So, needless to say, I'm excited...who doesn't love free books??

My other goodreads group has a topic where they share the books that are currently on Netgalley. I thought it would be a good idea to do this in our group so that we can share if any up and coming dystopian or PA novels have shown up on netgalley.

Is anyone else a netgalley user?

message 2: by Julie (new)

Julie I have a Netgalley account too, I was approved for some books when I first signed up but didn't get a chance to read them because I wasn't able to install Adobe Digital Editions on the computer I was using. I felt a little weird getting an account also but now I can honestly say I work at a library now so that makes me feel a little better. I was actually just on there earlier updating my account and I requested Breaking Beautiful by Jennifer Shaw Wolf so keeping my fingers crossed for that.

What I really want to be a part of is Amazon Vine! I know it's by invitation only but I dream about it often :)

message 3: by Bethany (new)

Bethany Julie wrote: "I have a Netgalley account too, I was approved for some books when I first signed up but didn't get a chance to read them because I wasn't able to install Adobe Digital Editions on the computer I w..."

What's amazon vine??

message 4: by Julie (new)

Julie It's a program where Amazon gives you free stuff in exchange for reviews...books, movies, products, ect. I've heard you get A LOT of books. Apparently they choose by how helpful your reviews are....

message 5: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amonika) I just joined NetGalley. It seems a bit overwhelming though and I'm not sure how much I'm going to actually receive. I just started a blog, but it doesn't have any followers yet and I only have a limited number of friends on here. I could go on a mass friend request, but I'm not sure that will work.

message 6: by Bethany (new)

Bethany Well, I don't have a blog and I was honest about that on my profile. I said that the only place that I post reviews was on goodreads, and I still get approved for tons of things. I have a friend who uses Netgalley and a lot of times we will request the same book, but only I will get it and the only real difference between us is that if I get approved for a netgalley book and actually read it, I always post a review for the publisher. So, I think it makes a difference if you actually give them constructive feedback. The more reviews I write, the more I seem to get approved for. But that's my assumption, I'm not sure it's the way it works, but give it a shot. I've been lucky enough to get some pretty amazing books from that site, so it's pretty cool. But, I definitely feel like if their giving you free books, the least we can do is write a review for it.

message 7: by ☆∞Love (new)

☆∞Love Frances∞☆ (literaryfollies) | 10 comments Netgalley is fine if ppl dont have blogs. In fact Disney/Hyperion wont approve bloggers. They have some seriously fabulous dystopian/YA books too. They do send books to bloggers via the mail. Breathe by Sarah Crossan is published through them.

Edelweiss is another Netgalley type site. Same set up. I like Edelweiss because they have recent catalogs of all the major publishers so I can see whats coming out and when. On that site you get a lot of refusals, everyone gets the same stock answer "We went ran out of our free e book quotas" something like that. I still suggest trying however. They have books NG doesnt. Like Richelle Meads newest: Indigo Spell (?) its part of the vampire academy off shoot series. They refused me, I am BUMMED. Such is life..

I tell this tale from experience, I went request crazy on NG & never imagined they would APPROVE me! I got so overwhelmed and a lot of the books were total duds too. I ended up rejecting almost all of them & I suffered for it for awhile. So yeah, they do judge on reviews returned for books approved. I heard a few ppl share their accts with trusted friends. IDK the exact rules on that so I haven't tried it. I dont want to lose my acct.

RANDOM BUZZERS is a great site btw. I have won 6 books from them already! Actual book-books. I love interacting on the site.
I am also an Ambuzzador for The Paladin Prophecy, so if any of you haven't joined the site yet I can give you a code to give you points for a free book.
I only have 3 codes so let me know :)The codes only work for brand new accounts. Plus you dont need a blog. Reviews on Goodreads is good enough, even write reviews there on the site.

I know I went off the NG topic, but I wanted to share the other NG sites with you all too :)

message 8: by ☆∞Love (new)

☆∞Love Frances∞☆ (literaryfollies) | 10 comments Julie wrote: "It's a program where Amazon gives you free stuff in exchange for reviews...books, movies, products, ect. I've heard you get A LOT of books. Apparently they choose by how helpful your reviews are...."

OMGOSH! Amazon Vine is so awesome! I have only heard, but if your reviews are most helpful for books you get practically every book that comes out, for makeup you get makeup, etc.
I knew a lady, a mommy blogger, who got this HUGE fisher price play kitchen with all the bells and whistles. It was retailed at 120$. She also got Rachel Ray pots and pans, etc. Crazy huh?
I dream about it too :)

message 9: by S.M. (new)

S.M. McEachern (smmceachern) | 14 comments I had never heard of Netgalley until I stumbled up on this thread. It looks like a great place for author's to advertise books as well. Thanks ladies!

message 10: by S.M. (new)

S.M. McEachern (smmceachern) | 14 comments Has anyone tried Library Thing? They give away review copies too. I just signed up with them.

You can get free books here on Goodreads to - look in the Creative Review group (my book is there) and/or Beta Readers. I also noticed some giveaways in this group under "Author".

YA Apocalyptic and Dystopian Fiction

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Breaking Beautiful (other topics)