La Poseurs discussion

Getting Personal > Who Do you Want to Be?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 267 (267 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Cheyenne, Impressive, Star Fox (last edited Aug 31, 2012 09:56AM) (new)

Cheyenne (cheylaraine) | 1882 comments Mod
When I was five and a half, I drew a red dog and named him Doggy Dare. I drew him playing basketball, chilling with his best homie (her name was Bunny) , and learning new things. Doggie dare was my five-year-old book series, "published" whenever I stapled a few sheets of printer paper together.

When I was seven, I made Super Mouse. He had a cape, fought bad guys, and was my first official comic. He wore only purple.

At ten, I dropped crayons and started typing my stories into the computer. None of them really stuck.

At 13, I wrote a 48,000 word book called The Swimnyst. At fourteen/fifteen I wrote half of a book (55,000 words) called In Honor of Jude.

So who do I want to be?

A writer-graphic-artist-traveler-snarky-spunky-unique-paint-spattered-moccasin-clad-city-living girl. of course.

What's your dream?

message 2: by Sodapop (new)

Sodapop (froggy101) | 44 comments Is it okay to not know what you want to be?

message 3: by the sound of Autumn, Oh dear. (new)

the sound of Autumn | 3132 comments Mod
Ever since I was in kindergarten, I always stood out among the crowd as an exceptional writer. The teachers would say things like, "Yes, that's very advanced for her age!" or, "When your book get's published, I want the first copy!" (I was in fourth grade when that was said to me.)

In the fifth grade, my teacher sent me to the principal's office to read her my story written for a school assignment.

My teachers would read a story anonymously to the class because of how "wonderful" and "neat" it was, and the whole time my classmates would turn to me, me being completely pink-faced of course, saying, "Uh huh, it's yours, I know it is."

An online art magazine is blogging about and reviewing one of my short stories, and it is very possible I may be getting interviewed soon.

Now, at age 14, I am working on several novels, the most popular of which so far is The Ballad of a Rain Girl.

I think of doing any career, and compared to staying at home and pouring my heart out into a story, it would be like bashing my skull against a wall. So, what do I want to be when I'm all grown up? I'll give you three guesses ;)

message 4: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (nerdistheword) | 2 comments When I was in about kindergarten we had to do that thing where you say what you want to be when you grow up. My response: a builder and a painter.

Later, when I found out I enjoyed writing, I had dreams to be an author. Which, truth be told, are still there, lying in wait.

Fast forward a few years and I'm thinking about becoming an architect, or perhaps an editor.

But truthfully, at 16 with all the doors open to me, I have absolutely no clue what I really want to spend the rest of my life doing. So to answer Chocolate Soda, I think it's totally fine to not know you want to be. I plan on living my life, and then someday looking up and saying "well duh, that's what I want to do! I LOVE it!!"

message 5: by Cheyenne, Impressive, Star Fox (new)

Chocolate Soda wrote: "Is it okay to not know what you want to be?"

It's totally fine to not know what you want to be.

@Ri

I must say, you are a very exceptional writer for your age. I hope you never give up that talent.

@Rachel

That's so cool! I wish I could paint. And that's so true.. there are endless possibilities out there.

message 6: by Fanzura (new)

Fanzura (peeves19) In Kindergarten.. a kid told me not to touch the blue,red,gold,silver,green,pink,white and all the colour perncils under the sun except the black ones.

I want to be me.

i want to make a difference

i want to enjoy life as it is

i want to live.

i want to read a thousand and one books before i die!

message 7: by the sound of Autumn, Oh dear. (last edited Mar 03, 2012 08:57PM) (new)

@Chey, Thank you!

@Peeves, very good plan, solid ;b And, a thousand books would not only be insightful, but would give major bragging rights!

message 8: by Cheyenne, Impressive, Star Fox (new)

1,000 books is an awesome goal!

message 9: by Cheyenne, Impressive, Star Fox (new)

That's really cool, viv! The ability to create clothing designs and bring them to life is an awesome talent! I love fashion design too, but I doubt I'm as good as you. That's really admirable. So what sort of clothes do you like making?

message 10: by Cheyenne, Impressive, Star Fox (new)

I like making dresses, tops, and stuff.

message 11: by Pirl (last edited Mar 07, 2012 01:49PM) (new)

Pirl (pirlismyname) Hmm...
My story starts at age six. We had just started to learn how to read- didn't know all the vowel signs yet, but I took a book and started reading it. I was so proud to be the first kid in class to be able to read.
At age eight I visited a library for the first time. I'm not sure that prison of a school even had a library. I was led straight to the childrens' books, but they were all boring. I started to explore.
The next cubical over(that was how the library was set at the time- in little cubicals) were adventure books. Kids in England, though I didn't know that, meddling with other people's businesses, discovering and ruining the different evil plots. I finished series after series, swallowing them whole. A year later, I had read every book on those three bookshelves, and had started working on two other cubicals.
I don't know when I started writing, but I alreay knew what I wanted to be when I was in fourth grade, debating whether to become a writer in a children's magazine. I hadn't, but they ended up publishing a story of mine. Not one of my best, even back then, I must add. But they published it, and I was in Eden.
I started and stopped writing many books since; I've been steadily working on two projects right now. And even though I sing, write songs(and am pretty good at it, if I may), paint and draw and take pictures constantly,(couldn't dance to save my life, if that's any consolation) I have no doubt that I belong in the world of stories. Creating world- that is my passion, and all I want to do.
Though I an aware that this is a tricky world, and you don't always succeed, don't worry, I have a backup plan. As I've always loved to share knowledge, I think I'll be a teacher. Don't worry, I'll marry up, so I'll have plenty of money anyway.

message 12: by Pirl (new)

Pirl (pirlismyname) Peeves wrote: "In Kindergarten.. a kid told me not to touch the blue,red,gold,silver,green,pink,white and all the colour perncils under the sun except the black ones.

I want to be me.

i want to make a differen..."

AWESOME WISHLIST

message 13: by Pirl (new)

Pirl (pirlismyname) the sound of Autumn wrote: "Ever since I was in kindergarten, I always stood out among the crowd as an exceptional writer. The teachers would say things like, "Yes, that's very advanced for her age!" or, "When your book get's..."

A teacher? An artist? An actress?

message 14: by the sound of Autumn, Oh dear. (last edited Mar 07, 2012 04:37PM) (new)

Pirl wrote: "the sound of Autumn wrote: "Ever since I was in kindergarten, I always stood out among the crowd as an exceptional writer. The teachers would say things like, "Yes, that's very advanced for her age..."

Haha, you're close with the letter A ;b

message 15: by Pirl (new)

Pirl (pirlismyname) HAHA

message 16: by Cheyenne, Impressive, Star Fox (new)

You guys all have awesome dreams :)

message 17: by Pirl (new)

Pirl (pirlismyname) True.

message 18: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 09, 2012 03:12PM) (new)

My story goes back to the time of dinosaurs, but I doubt you would want to hear that LONG tale. So I guess I should start with when I was six. In Kindergarten, we had this yellow boat that was full of books. Coloring books, picture books, really, really, really small chapter books, all sorts of stuff like that. And this yellow boat was HUGE. It took up quite a bit of space in the classroom, and on top of that it was BRIGHT yellow, AND on top of that we were all little six year olds, so ultimately we were distracted by it. A whole freaking lot. (To tell you the truth, I think in the middle of the school year she moved it from the class...sigh...good times, good times!) The teacher expected us not go climbing into it, but c'mon! Really? REALLY? So yes.

I was that weird girl that crawled into it and swam with the books. 

Fast forward to the second grade, my friends and I were horribly bored at recess. "Oh Ally, what should we do?" How the hell should I know? I wasn't known for being the smartest kid on the block. We all glanced around us, the playground looking like a battle field. (On a side note, Dear Old Elementary Teachers, of all things, why wood chips? When you fell off the monkey bars, it wasn't exactly pleasant to have your skin pierced by wood chips. Replace it with some nice grass. AND DON'T YOU DARE EVEN THINK ABOUT REPLACING IT WITH SPIKES!!!! Sincerely, Pissed Off Ex-Student) Kids ran around screaming and yelling while others laid on the ground, bawling their eyes out. The thing about my old school is if you get outside quick enough, you would get the white slides. Yes, those white slides. Thankfully, my friends just poked at their food and said they were done, so we got outside fairly quickly.

The white slides awaited us.

So here we were once again, pondering what we were supposed to do. Me being bored, I crawled up and sat atop of the slide. Being lazy me, I didn't move, pissing off a lot of kids. A friend of mine finally climbed up the slide and tried to yank me down. 

With that, we created a revolution. ;) 

Now most of this may not make much sense, but I want this to come off really clearly:

I want to be me.

Also, I wouldn't mind being the President for a day.

message 19: by the sound of Autumn, Oh dear. (last edited Mar 09, 2012 06:38PM) (new)

Haha, I laughed at reading this. You sound like as just a "weird" little kid as I was ;)

President for a day would be pretty awesome. I'd day my hair blue, wear black eyeliner, and laugh and point at the camera saying, "HA! I rule you all for a day beotches! Look at who leads you this fine 24 hours, look at this! MUAHAHAHAHAHA!" Terrify the shat out of all the elderly folks sittin' at home in front of the ole' telly.

message 20: by the sound of Autumn, Oh dear. (new)

I shall always understand sir, I shall. And when I don't, I'll nod my head and act like I understand anyways

message 21: by Emma (new)

Emma My story starts in first grade, when Harry Potter was THEBIGTHING. I was a bright kid (if I do say so myself), loved stories (except for those HORRIBLE Jack and Jan picture books that seemed like one giant brain fart), and my Dad (being the best daddy in the whole wide world) read the first four of Harry's stories to me.

Needless to say, I loved them, and so, inspired, I began my own story, that a neighbor girl edited for me on the bus. I've been writing ever since then.

So, yeah. I want to be an author when I grow up.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

I want to write.
I want to be able to express myself through words and have people read them and hear my stories.
Because I have all of these tales all coiled up inside of my brain, my heart, just waiting to be set free.
So that's what I do. I write and I post them here and I wait to see what people think so that I can fix them and try to make them worth my readers.
I have all of these stories that I need to tell, that need to be told, and so that's what I do, and that's what I want to do for the rest of my life.
I want to write.

message 23: by Pirl (new)

Pirl (pirlismyname) Ƙȧƴȧ wrote: "I want to write.
I want to be able to express myself through words and have people read them and hear my stories.
Because I have all of these tales all coiled up inside of my brain, my heart, just ..."

Beautiful! Seriously. Almost as inspiring as mine:P

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

haha thank you i am honored :)

message 25: by the sound of Autumn, Oh dear. (new)

Alright, word to all my fellow budding authors!

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

:)

message 27: by Pirl (new)

Pirl (pirlismyname) :D

message 28: by Cheyenne, Impressive, Star Fox (new)

@Ally; that is really cool! The president for a day... I can imagine it stressful

@Emma: hahaha, I love it. What was your story?

message 29: by Emma (last edited Mar 10, 2012 02:16PM) (new)

Emma It was about a girl whose father owns the school and whose mother was a coal miner...at least, that's what I can pick out now.

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

@Cheyla
That's why I chose one day :) but it would be SO fun...lol :D

message 31: by Pirl (new)

Pirl (pirlismyname) Hope you find your destiny and that you never forget books:)

message 32: by the sound of Autumn, Oh dear. (new)

Wow, very nice way to put that Emma. I couldn't have done better myself! Oh, and I think you'd make an absolutely epic ninja-princess my friend ;D

message 33: by Pirl (new)

Pirl (pirlismyname) HAHA

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

the sound of Autumn wrote: "Wow, very nice way to put that Emma. I couldn't have done better myself! Oh, and I think you'd make an absolutely epic ninja-princess my friend ;D"

agreed!

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Since age 8 I've wanted to be a pediatrician

message 36: by Pirl (new)

Pirl (pirlismyname) huh???

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

A kids doc

message 38: by Pirl (new)

Pirl (pirlismyname) Ah. OK. Have fun.
I will never be a doctor. I'd probably end up killing someone by mistake. :(

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

LOL!!!!

message 40: by the sound of Autumn, Oh dear. (new)

My mom is a nurse, and by the sound of some patients she has to deal with, I'd probably smack a few if I were a doctor, and then lose my license, and then the whole medical school thing would just turn out to be a big waste of time for me.

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

I am knida scared to see a massively ugly child and do something that would get me fired.

message 42: by the sound of Autumn, Oh dear. (last edited Mar 13, 2012 06:05PM) (new)

No problemo! :)

message 43: by Kelli (new)

Kelli West | 9 comments When I was a kid, I was in ballet class. For anyone who knows me now, I don't know how I did it because I am ... a little less than graceful. Apparently I would always shake and move in front of the mirrors before class. My mom signed me up for hip hop and I dropped ballet. I love to dance. To express myself through movements. I want to dance for the rest of my life.
Also when I was six I went to France. I have not wanted anything more than another trip. I want to travel. To find the worlds deep secrets. I want to look in tombs and survive jungles in South America. I want to go sky diving and suba diving.
I want to travel and be a dancer.

message 44: by sucre'd fiend (last edited Mar 13, 2012 08:35PM) (new)

sucre'd fiend (sucredfiend) | 18 comments My dream? Who do I want, crave, strive, desire to be?
I want to be that writer that people will remember. I want people to go, "You haven't read her book yet? You loser!" I want to be that writer that entertains and teaches. I want to be that writer that digs deeper, but doesn't scratch the most delicate and precious things. I want to be that writer that makes people actually stop and think .

People have always told me to stick to my dreams, but widen my horizons. And I have. The years of art, music, dance, and theatre have assisted me in my writing. They allowed me to better expression the atmosphere and tone of a scene, or get the rhythm of the character to be just right so it fits the role they play. I can't stress how important that is.

Some people have told me that my creativity was contagious. It's was the best thing anyone had ever said to me. It's what I long for, being able to inspire.
I want to the writer to inspire and teach, to guide and comfort, and to keep motivated no matter the cause.

message 45: by Cheyenne, Impressive, Star Fox (new)

Amazing. That's awesome. So did you train in performing arts? (referencing: the years of art, music, dance, and theatre have assisted me in my writing

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

Ur a writer, al right...

message 47: by sucre'd fiend (new)

sucre'd fiend (sucredfiend) | 18 comments Cheyla wrote: "Amazing. That's awesome. So did you train in performing arts? (referencing: the years of art, music, dance, and theatre have assisted me in my writing"

Oh, yes. I used to take art classes, but I'm taking a break this year. I'm acting in a musical, which requires a ton of dancing, and I've been in choir for more than three years.

message 48: by Cheyenne, Impressive, Star Fox (new)

I'm so jealous! I love performing arts, visual arts, and I especially love music. They're all passions of mine. I haven't an ounce of talent for dancing, though I'd like to. See, my 'rents thought putting me in dance classes would fare too time-consuming. So instead I spent my days writing, like all the time. But if I could train, even now, for something like that, you can bet I'd be on it like a cat after mouse.

message 49: by Pirl (new)

Pirl (pirlismyname) Me, I'm taking art lessons and vocal lessons each once a weak, I'm in the school's musical group((which everyone has dropped out of, BTW, and now it sucks))and I have two performances next week, Tuesday((via school)) and Thursday((via vocal lessons)). Plus I have the Art on Wednesday nights, so I'm gonna have a busy week...

message 50: by Cheyenne, Impressive, Star Fox (new)

:P You're all meanies, you know. Mean brutes with your fabulous art-filled lives.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6