Addicted to YA discussion

1330 views
Heroines > Bella Swan (Twilight)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 88 (88 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Erika, Dream Thief (new)

Erika (livingforthebooks) | 5276 comments Mod
What did you think of Bella?


message 2: by Annabel ♥ (new)

Annabel ♥ (cinnamonbliss) | 4398 comments I thought she was kind of wimpy, but I loved this book.


message 3: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (cloveshay) | 109 comments Ummm no offense to her, but she wasn't very heroic. Not that I didn't like her! It's just she never really had any life in her hands besides Renesme.


message 4: by Emily (new)

Emily Eastman | 12 comments I don't really like her...


message 5: by ❤ Jane ❤ (new)

❤ Jane ❤ (jothee) She's weak-minded. I liked her in Breaking Dawn though.


message 6: by Caron (new)

Caron Rider | 46 comments I gotta stick up for Bella. She's 17, in a new town, basically kind of a quiet girl anyway, which would make for a nerve racking experience. And most of the 17 year old girls I knew that thought of themselves as being hot, were totally obnoxious. I knew far more girls who didn't really think they were that much to look at who worried about why the guy they liked actually liked them back! Yeah she might be a little whiny, but who among us aren't? A little over the top about Edward...need I say 17 again? And I don't know about wimpy. Is it wimpy to go to what you think of as certain death (i.e. the ballet studio)? I just thought that was stupid. But again, I say 17. And if she hadn't gone, there wouldn't have been much action to the book. In fact there wasn't much action anyway, so never mind. At any rate, I thought Bella was all right, basically a teenager. Overall, I enjoyed the series and liked Bella.


message 7: by Kati (new)

Kati (woodkati6) Bella is so flippin' annoying. Especially at the end of New Moon. She's all trying to make everyone feel guilty when the Cullens are voting whether or not to turn her into a vamp. She's basically saying if you don't vote yes I'm gonna go 2 the volturi alone and get myself killed. I dunno I just can't stand her. And Kristin Stewart playing her in the movie definately didn't help make me like the character any more.


message 8: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (alltheraeje) I guess I identified with Bella, seemingly, more than most of the readers. I was a backward, shy, very unsure of myself teenager. I blended in to the background and was invisible. I am also to this day a total clutz.

I don't think that Bella is weak at all. She is very self sacrificing. That is not a weak trait. She moves to Forks to let her mom persue her happiness. She will protect Charlie at all costs. She is true to herself inspite of the pressures of Jessica and some of the other kids. And when she falls in love with Edward, she knows who she is, what she wants and never waivers. She isn't fickle or wishy washy. I think Bella is brave, especially for someone so insecure.


message 9: by Ela (last edited Mar 19, 2012 10:24AM) (new)

Ela I think it was a bit reidiculous that from the moment she met Edward she decided she wanted to spend the rest of her life with him.
I mean, lts for a moment forget that he is a vampire. Lets pretend he's a normal boy. She is only 17, has never dated anyone before and dosen't know anything about him, slow down a little before you sign away your life Bella.
And I know, it all worked out well in the end, but they could have just had a normal teenage realtionship: pretending not to notice each other, flirting, first date, falling madly in love, getting into arguments, breaking up, hating each other, moving on with their life. If that had happened then she wouldn't have any options.
So basically I don't think it is a great idea to encourage teenage girls to utterly commit themselves to one thing before they have truely experienced life.
(rant over)


message 10: by Jojobean (new)

Jojobean I loved her (in the book) even though her love for Edward became something of an obsession. But i did like how she never wavered from that love. Yes she loved Jacob as well but that didn't change her intensity or amount of love she had for Edward. She's very loyal and protective especially towards Charlie. She will do anything to keep him safe. She is just an average girl who just happened to get thrown into a supernatural world and she dealt and made choices that were best for her at the time. She made mistakes like any other human but that doesn't mean she's weak, which is something she gets a bad rep for.

As for the film I didn't really like her. Kristen Stewart completely destroyed Bella's character and she's a horrible actress


message 11: by Stormy (new)

Stormy :) (Stormy0218) | 3463 comments Kristen Stewart made me hate Bella even more. Bella was an annoying and selfish brat to put it simply. Her obsession over Edward was ridiculous, it happened way too fast. One thing that really annoys me is insta-romance.


message 12: by Marybeth (new)

Marybeth (narutofan14) Loved the series but Bella was frustrating. She drove me up the freaking roof


message 13: by Aisyaraisya (new)

Aisyaraisya | 87 comments she's pretty weak kind of girl I think. i dont know, i think she's so desperate in love and make her look pity. Then again I think of Edward- -''
but still.

I hope she can be badass like she did in breaking dawn instead since the first book.


message 14: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Terrible role model for young girls.


message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

I only read Twilight when I was 14 years old and I loved Bella back them, so my opinion is based on that time. I liked her since the beginning because I could relate to her, that thing of low self esteem, not quite fitting, feeling like you're not completely understand is just what every teenage girl/boy feels like in a certain age. I don't know what I would think about Twilight now but I don't think I could dislike Bella, because the series was a important part of my life in that period of time and it will always be related to the feels that give me back them.


message 16: by April (new)

April | 557 comments I first read the Twilight Saga when I was 12-13 years old. I honestly LOVE the series and I will re-read the series sometime this year. I personally connected with Bella and I loved her character. I think that she acted the way any 17 year old put in her position would act. Yes she had faults, but so does everybody. Her faults make her human and therefore- more realistic. I liked the books a lot better than the movies and my favourite character was Alice, but I resonated with Bella and loved her character as well as her character development throughout the series. The books were so much better than the movies. Breaking Dawn was one of my favourites in the series because she becomes a cooler character than I think that she already was. It was an amazing series that I will always love and have respect about it. The book Bella shows more emotion and I love that we get into her head more and everything. She really is amazing I think :)


message 17: by Nefeli (new)

Nefeli (galacticon) Bella was the main reason I didn't like Twilight (the plot, the setting and the writing were good). I didn't like how dependent on Edward she was and how she didn't really take life on her hands. Also she was ranting an awful lot throughout the book.


message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Let me just say that Bella Swan is the worst book character ever invented. She doesn't deserve the affections of Edward and Jacob, and she is stubborn, childish, unintelligent, annoying, so needy, and basically played around with Jacob's feelings for her. That's just cruel. I love Twilight, but Bella just frustrates me. There was an improvement when she became a vampire, but she was still a weak character.


message 20: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (bikki) | 9 comments I liked Bella. She wasn't the perfect character. And to me there is some realism to that. The best thing I can compare it to would be Doctor Who reboot - Rose Tyler. She was essentially the perfect character. She always knew what to do. And while yes I loved her as a character, I think it would be boring to always have that perfect ball busting female character. I disagree with all who say shes whiny and weak. I'm not saying I'm right and everyone wrong, its just my perspective. In my opinion, in order to label someone as whiny, I believe that that character has to actually whine, out loud, to somebody. IE their thoughts don't count. And as far as being weak, expecting someone to go against someone who essentially has super powers and some how come out ahead is silly. She is not Batman. I believe if you label her weak then that same standard should apply to any superheros girlfriend/boyfriend that needed to be saved or needed help at one time or another. She did have low self esteem. She didn't always think the best of herself. As a kid, neither did I, so I can relate. If anything it was the one thing that made her real to me.

I like Kristen Stewart. I've seen a few movies shes in and believe she can act (cake eaters is a good one). Think about Bellas character, she doesn't really show emotion. So Kristen Stewart acting bland is pretty close to the books. Bella had far more emotions she kept guarded and tried to remain neutral about.

All in all, it was an entertaining fantasy romance. One of my favorite books? No. But I am sentimental.


message 21: by Lynne (new)

Lynne Stringer | 328 comments I agree, Heidi ... except for the bit about Rose Tyler.


message 22: by Felix (new)

Felix | 1 comments Heidi, I totally agree with your statement about Bella beeing unperfect character and I liked that too. I agree with your explanation of weakness as well, but I dare to ask myself if kissing Jacob was a concequence of her low esteem. I would rather say she was actually week in her decisions, but than who wouldn't be as a companinon of Edward Coillins? He wanted her to be as safe as an object locked in a box, what is totaly unhuman and in my opinium a concequence of his age and not just love. Therefore I would rather say he was selfish as hell and she was thought to be week in his eyes anyway. So I totally disagree with Katherine 's statement that she didn't deserve Edward's effection, because he wasn't an angel too. Anyway, I liked the book and still like it.


message 23: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (bikki) | 9 comments Lynne wrote: "I agree, Heidi ... except for the bit about Rose Tyler."

You don't think Rose Tyler was perfect? She was pretty amazing. She wasn't nice to her boyfriend. Which is the only flaw I can think about. It really didn't effect her choices on being a perfect companion.


message 24: by Lynne (new)

Lynne Stringer | 328 comments No, I found her character rather two-dimensional. But we all see different things. :-)


message 25: by Moriya (new)

Moriya | 57 comments I'm reading twilight rn and I feel that in the movie she had a totally different personality. Bella annoys me either way. She gets depressed if she isn't with Edward (I'm reading the first book). And all she thinks about is Edward.


message 26: by Mercedes (new)

Mercedes (mudmule99) She too self absorbed for most of the books. I mean really, she can't tell Jacob is in love with her? And brooding over Edward for how many months. She doesn't think either. She needs a good slap upside the head most times. I thought she was right on in the movies.


message 27: by Priya (new)

Priya (forgottentales) | 9 comments She is a typical Mary sue but I think that there was some kind of lightheartedness to her before she met Edward. After the whole vampire thing I think that she lost what little compassion she had and became ridiculously one-dimensional :/


message 28: by Carol (new)

Carol Douglas | 32 comments I thought she was funny. I laughed at parts of it, especially the birthday.


message 29: by Jingle ❀彡 (new)

Jingle ❀彡 (jingledarling) Caron wrote: "I gotta stick up for Bella. She's 17, in a new town, basically kind of a quiet girl anyway, which would make for a nerve racking experience. And most of the 17 year old girls I knew that thought of..."

I totally agree! Most people think she is boring because she's quiet and well... normal. But then again, aren't we all? And she did all she could to help even though against vampires, she was just prey. I don't think using yourself as bait several times in the series is wimpy or useless. I also find her pretty selfless, taking care of Charlie and moving to a place she hates for people she loves. I think that while there are more sparky and humorous characters out there, she definitely has a charm and is a favourite, because she shows you don't have to be super loud and dramatic to be written into a book.


message 30: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (lizz_marie8) | 12 comments She's very human-like (the way she's self absorbed and all of that). Some people like how she relates to them, but for me, I'm not her biggest fan. When I read books, I like to escape my world, into theirs. I like strong characters who I can strive to be like. I don't want a character that's already like me. I want someone to look up to.


message 31: by Cassie (new)

Cassie Doran | 58 comments I like her. I like that's she's not like everyone else. she likes to read. she doesn't care about shopping. she's not shallow. she loves hard. however, she spent too much time thinking about Edward. when he left her in new moon, she could barely functioned. she was doing things to put herself in danger so Edward would come back. her life shouldn't just all About him.


message 32: by L.S. (new)

L.S. May | 21 comments Cassie wrote: "I like her. I like that's she's not like everyone else. she likes to read. she doesn't care about shopping. she's not shallow. she loves hard. however, she spent too much time thinking about Edward..."

That's actually one of my pet dislikes - the girl character that is portrayed as better than other girls because she doesn't like stereotypically girly stuff.
Got to say, what I couldn't stand the most about her was that she didn't choose Jacob...


message 33: by Shay (new)

Shay (shayreader) | 3445 comments I like how she was a bit of a dare devil, always wanting to be in the middle of danger. But she was putting everyone else in the line of fire by being in the way. I did like her best in Breaking Dawn because she could take care of herself when she became a vampire. I didn't think she was a heroine though.


message 34: by Abigail (new)

Abigail (reeyabeegale) Never read Twilight saga, but I did watch the movies. Now I know movie adaptations are almost always very much different from the book, but that's not the case here.

Bella, for me, has acquired and developed the "Damsel In Distress" syndrome. Like there's always a need to save her just because she can't do anything on her own to spare herself otherwise.


message 35: by Jane (new)

Jane Jackson (janejackson91) | 18 comments I thought in the book and the film she came across differently. In the film she was a bit too whiney for my liking. I like the fact that characters are not all perfect. There has to be a bit of realism in them, a few character flaws, etc, but at the same time you have to actually LIKE them on some level, and in the film at least she was an irritating little girl. In the book I thought she was better. I accepted her, and could forgive her flaws. I guess I was more rooting for her, than in the films. All in all, not my favourite heroine... Pity


message 36: by S.Shade (new)

S.Shade | 162 comments I really enjoyed the books but I was not a fan of Bella. She came off way to weak in my opinion. I love a really strong female lead and Bella just did not hit the mark for me.


message 37: by Katie (new)

Katie Jaros (katiejaros) | 13 comments I know this is an old thread...but I have to throw in my two cents. Used to kind of agree with everyone-- Bella is a pushover, obsessive, relationship with Edward is completely unhealthy....but as the years have passed since the books and films came out-- I've lightened up a bit on her and come to appreciate her for what she offers. She's a relatable voice for a lot of teenage girls-- quiet, awkward, still trying to find themselves. That first love happens and it's all encompassing. I know that's how I was at 17--like- to a tee. I also think there is merit in letting yourself enjoy the romance-- not thinking about it too much and rolling with it. And maybe it's because I'm actually obsessed with Kristen Stewart and not Bella...but I totally dyed my hair to match her brunette.:) If that's not love, I don't know what is.:)


message 38: by Megan (new)

Megan | 3 comments I don't like her. She relies to much on the guys.


message 39: by Shay (new)

Shay (shayreader) | 3445 comments Nicole wrote: "I dislike Bella but I enjoyed the books overall. Bella just seemed a bit too whiny for my tastes. Plus I didn't understand the love triangle if she knew she loved Edward the most the whole time. I ..."

Yeah. She didn't have to do that to Jacob. He didn't deserve it.


message 40: by Isabella (last edited May 02, 2016 04:19PM) (new)

Isabella Sutter (isabellajohanna) | 4 comments I liked Bella. To be honest, I thought that that the fact that she was "weak" was mostly because she was human, not because she was female. When I read the gender-swapped version of Twilight, I ended up liking Bella even more, because she's really just a normal girl: she doesn't have a prophecy or a superpower, she's just normal. By the end of the series she's found her way, albeit as the protector. Even though she ends up with a superpower, she finds the superpower through love and perseverance. I liked the message: you don't have to be the chosen one. All you need to be is yourself.


message 41: by Ahana~ (new)

Ahana~  (kingahana) | 242 comments Isabella wrote: "I liked Bella. To be honest, I thought that that the fact that she was "weak" was mostly because she was human, not because she was female. When I read the gender-swapped version of Twilight, I end..."
You are simply right. Actually, I also at first thought Bella a little wimpy but then i just realise that she was just a normal girl like me before turning into a vampire. I understand because the choices were hard for her and hard choices came in my path numerous times.


message 42: by Alyson (new)

Alyson Stone (alysonserenastone) | 194 comments April wrote: "I first read the Twilight Saga when I was 12-13 years old. I honestly LOVE the series and I will re-read the series sometime this year. I personally connected with Bella and I loved her character. ..."

With you on that one!


message 43: by Alexia (new)

Alexia (alexiahendrix) | 25 comments Physically and intellectually inadequate.


message 44: by Joyce (new)

Joyce | 6 comments Honestly, she didn't do much of anything.


message 45: by Sarahxox (new)

Sarahxox Everyone complains that Bella is whiny and dependent.
But you have to be understanding. That is what makes her a realistic heroine.
Are you telling me that if a vampire came to attack you, you'd fight them?

Fear doesn't make you weak but strengthens you.


message 46: by Shay (new)

Shay (shayreader) | 3445 comments Sarahxox wrote: "Everyone complains that Bella is whiny and dependent.
But you have to be understanding. That is what makes her a realistic heroine.
Are you telling me that if a vampire came to attack you, you'd fi..."


Good points


message 47: by A.D. (new)

A.D. Trosper (adtrosper) | 5 comments I enjoyed the books and I like Bella. Like has been stated, it was her humanity that made her "weak" not her gender. She was surrounded by beings that could overpower her with their pinky finger. The fact she stood in the middle of that showed more fortitude than most have. People call her selfish, and yet most her actions were driven by her need to protect those she cared about. As far as being in insta-love and being certain Edward was the one, I can identify with that even though I didn't read them until I was well into adulthood.

See, I met the man who is my husband on my 16th birthday and married him less than a year later (no, I wasn't pregnant, everyone asks that. We didn't have our first kid until five years later). I wasn't quite 17 and he was barely 18 when I hit him over the head with a club and hauled him off to my cave. We will celebrate 23 years of marriage this year and now have three kids. He has been the one for me since the first time I met him. And since we are both still very much in love, I guess I was it for him too.

So Bella's young insta-love and absolute certainty didn't bother me a bit.


message 48: by Tania (new)

Tania | 11 comments I enjoyed the series as well, I've read it through quite a few times. I like book Bella, but she's not my favorite heroine in the series (I love Alice). Still, since she's who we spend the most time with, I think that she's pretty realistic for the age she's representing and I found her brave and loyal. Falling in love quickly, not thinking through the consequences, dropping everything for a guy - these are not alien concepts to a teenage girl. My one issue with her was her relationship with Jacob in New Moon, because I think she was unfair to him - but again, a realistic portrayal for someone who felt as lost as she did. As the series progressed, I also felt like we were treated to a maturing Bella, and she didn't ask to just insert herself into the Cullens lives but actively participated as a member of their family.


The Book Crusader (thebookcrusader) | 23 comments Are you telling me that if a vampire came to attack you, you'd fight them?


Not only would I fight any and all Twilight vampires to the death, but I would easily win, thanks to a combination of my superior strength, speed, durability, and various super powers.

The only contingency would be if the sun came out and the vampire(s) started to sparkle. Then I would lose...because I'd laugh myself to death.


In regards to the awful character, what I hate most is that she is the reason that Anastasia Steele and that garbage series exists.

Yeah, I know it's not Meyer's fault that the British twat plagiarized her work, but that doesn't make me hate Bella any less.


message 50: by Giulia (new)

Giulia | 8 comments I think Bella is very human and I like her because of that. She did annoy me from time to time ( especially in Eclipse), but I think she played her part perfectly in the story!


« previous 1
back to top