Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

50 views
Group Discussions > Do Radio Personalities and Talk show hosts have a right to do this? Does this push the boundaries of free speech to its limits?

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisarenee (last edited Mar 02, 2012 11:23AM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments There has been some debate recently as to whether contraceptives/birth control should be covered under insurance plans. One woman spoke out about the cost in favor of the coverage and Rush Limbaugh went a little, well, I don't have words to describe this. You've got to see it to believe it...

http://gma.yahoo.com/video/news-26797...

Do Radio Personalities and Talk show hosts have a right to do this? Does it push the boundaries of free speech to its limits? Quite frankly, I don't think it's wise to do this to a law student. Could this come up under the header of slander? Could it be considered bullying? Regardless of how you stand on the issue isn't this a little bit extreme? What is your reaction?


message 2: by Stefani (new)

Stefani (steffiebaby140) | 807 comments I think it definitely is a little extreme...and might come under the heading of slander, as a law student she would definitely know if it does. But, he still has a right to say it. Basically he has a right to say any stupid, inflamatory, asinine, horrendous thing he wants to. I am frequently reminded of the church group that goes and protests military funerals and stand on the sidewalk, pronouncing the dead soldier a murderer. Technically, they have a free speech right to say it no matter how horrendous it is. But, while you have a Constitutional right to say it doesn't mean there aren't going to be consequences like getting bad press, being sued, or just making people think you're a total idiot.


message 3: by willaful (new)

willaful I have no idea what constitutes slander, but I'd say his comments give tremendous weight to the argument that this is about trying to control women's sexual activity.


message 4: by A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol) (last edited Mar 02, 2012 02:37PM) (new)

A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol) (avidreader68) | 724 comments I haven't watched it yet, but I want to point out that if this is a video it is considered libel even though he is on the radio. I guess it's technically both, but since it was recorded on video it can also fall under libel, not just slander.

Slander is the spoken or transitory form of defamation of character, a legal term that refers to a falsehood presented as true which could harm the reputation of a person or entity. Slander also encompasses body gestures as in the case of sign language. If defamation of character is placed in a fixed form, as in the case of a sign, published paper, film or recording, it is considered libel. In short, slander is temporarily uttered or gesticulated, libel is published or otherwise fixed.

Slander is a tort, or civil law, meaning a civil lawsuit can be brought against someone who is accused of slander. In the United States certain facts must be established for someone to be found guilty of slander. Assuming there is proof that the defendant uttered the alleged statement, the statement must be overheard by someone other than the subject or other “privileged” parties. Slander must also clearly identify the party or entity, and the intent must be malicious.

I'd also like to state before I even watch it that I think Rush Limbaugh is a pig and can't stand him.


message 5: by A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol) (last edited Mar 02, 2012 02:47PM) (new)

A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol) (avidreader68) | 724 comments Yep, he's still a pig and a jackass. So just because we (women) buy birth control we are sluts? And we should post our sex videos online because that's what tax payers are buying? Sex videos in exchange for birth control coverage. But guys who buy condoms in bulk are what? He-men? Deserving of high fives?

Just because a woman buys birth control, and I'm talking about pills and other devices not just condoms, doesn't mean she's out there giving it up to every Tom's Harry Dick.

I can't begin to express how much I loathe Limbaugh, his cavernous pie hole and his tiny mind.


message 6: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (treychel) | 1484 comments Carol said: "Just because a woman buys birth control, and I'm talking about pills and other devices not just condoms, doesn't mean she's out there giving it up to every Tom's Harry Dick.

LMAO. I can't stop laughing.


message 7: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (treychel) | 1484 comments It's Limbaugh and he can say whatever he wants evidently and obviously he does.

I was on birth control for years and I still would be if I could still afford it. I've had one partner my whole life and I am still with him. You don't have to be a slut to be on birth control. In fact, most sluts won't even bother!


message 8: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments I almost wish the woman was married and they had the husband come on and give Limbaugh a piece of his mind. I was absolutely horrified for the poor girl. I still can't comprehend he could do such a thing. Someone needs to wash his mouth and mind out with soap, as my mom used to say.


message 9: by Shay (new)

Shay | 923 comments I think the nation could afford to cover contraceptives- especially if we stopped funding Viagra. Does paying for Viagra make us pimps? If you don't pay for Viagra out of your pocket and it comes from insurance or Medicare, does that make you my man-ho? My him-bo? Because if I don't get some video of you having sex on Viagra on YouTube, I'm going to need to give you my pimp hand!


message 10: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Shay, You just made me smile! I love your argument. I do not, however, ever wish to see Limbaugh in one of those videos. *shudder*


message 11: by MrsJoseph *grouchy* (last edited Mar 02, 2012 06:22PM) (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) This is just ridiculous. With all of the issues facing our country and our planet...it seems our vaginas have become the front line.

I have to admit to yelling at my husband a lot more lately, poor man. Every time I turn on the TV now...I get upset. I really need to stop getting mad but it's so hard.

And I hope that she sues the pants and the headphones off that misogynist asshole. Grrrrrrr, it makes me so angry! Get. Out. Of. My. Womb!


MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) I'll bet there's one woman right now wishing she'd used birth control...his mother.


message 13: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Oh, RL is a Pig. He has sunk to a new low, and brought in a scary ick factor, with the mention of videos. Love what all of you have said.

Did you know we pay for Viagra for prisoners - regardless of why they are in prision (sex offender or not)? Yup. Women take birth control for other reasons than BC. Does insurance pay for it then? Maybe; I don't know. **shrugs**


message 14: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (treychel) | 1484 comments I don't think it matters what you take BC for. Insurance pays if you got it. My friend took it simply for cycle regulation.


message 15: by Mckris10 (new)

Mckris10 | 223 comments This whole thing has just irritated the heck out of me. And what an ignorant thing for Rush Limbaugh to say that she must be a slut if she wants to use birth control in college. Ughhh... And this controversy kind of hits me in a personal way because my husband works in a Catholic high school, his insurance is partly paid for by the Catholic diocese so obviously they don't provide any birth control coverage. I just had a baby six months ago, am I ready for another one? Definitely not! I got lucky enough (for now) that my ob/gyn has given me samples of pills for the next few months, but when those run out we will be paying full price for them. I would love for the insurance be made to make birth control available. I think a lot of people are getting the bill mixed up and thinking that insurance companies are going to have to provide it for free, when in fact, most people would be more than willing to have to pay for part of it, just like they would have to with any other prescription. Anyway, that's my two cents, and I got very rambly.


message 16: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Every so often an issue like this pops up and I feel like we've once again entered the dark ages. RL is in a sense saying anyone on birth control pills should wear a scarlet A, or perhaps more appropriately, a scarlet S. There are other reasons to use birth control pills. Both my sister and I did during college because we both experienced cramps which rendered us incapacitated. They were not of a dosage that would have prevented pregnancy, they just regulated something in our bodies that prevented what ever it was that triggered the cramps. I'm not sure if it was hormone levels or something else. All I know is that it made life bearable during those first couple of days each month that I experienced them when nothing else could. For someone who is supposed to be smart, he's definitely showing off his ignorance on this subject. Too bad we can't let him suffer through a birth or monthly cycle or two.


message 17: by Kellyflower (new)

Kellyflower | 248 comments Mckris10 wrote: "I think a lot of people are getting the bill mixed up and thinking that insurance companies are going to have to provide it for free, when in fact, most people would be more than willing to have to pay for part of it, just like they would have to with any other prescription. Anyway, that's my two cents, and I got very rambly..."


*First - I do NOT like RL. He's an asshat. With that being said...

I'm still trying to understand what she's asking for. Is it that the school pays for the students' birth control? Or that that school pays for the insurance for the faculty that provides birth control?

I don't believe any school should have to pay for BC for the students. (I know I'm gonna get a lot of crap for that) By college you are an adult and should be responsible. If you have decided to attend a religious school you should have known before applying that they promote abstinence. So getting BC from them was gonna be out anyways.

Now on to the insurance thing. I think it's sucky that some insurance do not cover BC. When I worked for the Credit Union (Years ago) The insurance didn't cover oral contraceptives, but they covered abortions, go figure! I guess for them it was easier to do a one time fee then a continuous monthly fee.

But the real question is should a religious school or Hospital (work place) be forced to go against their beliefs and provide insurance that gives the option for BC. See that seems like your stepping on some religious freedom/belief thing.

and of course this is just my opinion. and as you know opinions are like *ssholes, everyone's got one.


message 18: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Mckris10 wrote: "...his insurance is partly paid for by the Catholic diocese so obviously they don't provide any birth control coverage..."

Interesting, isn't it, since they put their nuns on BC when they are placed in high rape areas?


message 19: by Kellyflower (new)

Kellyflower | 248 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "Interesting, isn't it, since they put their nuns on BC..."

Wow didn't know that. Don't get me started on the hippocrates Catholics.....I say this as a recovering catholic myself It seems like once your out you start seeing things and wonder how the Catholic church isn't considered a cult.
* I say the last statement with a little bit of humor. (a little bit)


A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol) (avidreader68) | 724 comments If your insurance covers Viagra and sterilization then it should cover birth control in all forms. I'm not saying it should cover it 100%, but it should be included in the plan. I wonder if an FSA (Flexible Spending Account) covers birth control, condoms included. I'd have to check ours, but probably not and it should. Condoms prevent more than conception.


message 21: by Kellyflower (new)

Kellyflower | 248 comments Carol ~ I'm A Voracious Reader wrote: "If your insurance covers Viagra and sterilization then it should cover birth control in all forms...."

I agree that if your insurance already covers a form of BC like sterilizations they should cover all other forms. That would make sense. And I don't see a reasoning for having sterilization but not other forms.

Carol I had to giggle at this:
"Condoms prevent more than conception."
I don't know if I agree with you on that one.
Photobucket


MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) It's obvious RL doesn't know what BC does for women. I've been on BC since I was 15/16 years old. My cramps were so bad that I couldn't attend school because I kept barfing everywhere and would be sent home. I was in danger of having to be held back since my school had an attendance policy. The parents tried everything they could think of before I was put on BC. My life would be drastically different if it wasn't for BC.


message 23: by willaful (new)

willaful Carol ~ I'm A Voracious Reader wrote: "II wonder if an FSA (Flexible Spending Account) covers birth control, condoms included. I'd have to check ours, but probably not and it should. "

I agree -- talk about preventive care. I'm pretty sure ours doesn't cover anything that we can't submit to our insurance, though it's never occurred to me to check.


A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol) (avidreader68) | 724 comments Yeah, and I'm sure he was real sincere. :P


message 26: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Carol ~ I'm A Voracious Reader wrote: "Yeah, and I'm sure he was real sincere. :P"

Notice he didn't apologize for wanting to see tapes of her having sex. Dirty old man!


message 27: by Sashana (new)

Sashana I feel really bad for the women in his family. Can you imagine being related to him and being a woman? I shudder at the thought.


message 28: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (morgzsydney) | 31 comments Sashana wrote: "I feel really bad for the women in his family. Can you imagine being related to him and being a woman? I shudder at the thought."

I would not associate myself with him anymore!


message 29: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (treychel) | 1484 comments Carol ~ I'm A Voracious Reader wrote: "If your insurance covers Viagra and sterilization then it should cover birth control in all forms. I'm not saying it should cover it 100%, but it should be included in the plan. I wonder if an FSA ..."

FSA does. Or, at least my dad's did. However, I could only get it one month at a time, not the three month supply I was getting at first from Planned Parenthood. calling in a refill every month was a pain, not to mention the few times the FSA wouldn't approve it...for some reason.


message 30: by Mckris10 (new)

Mckris10 | 223 comments Lisa Kay wrote: Interesting, isn't it, since they put their nuns on BC..."

Really?! I had no idea...wow...


message 31: by Shay (new)

Shay | 923 comments Sashana wrote: " Rush Limbaugh Apologizes for Calling Sandra Fluke a 'Slut'"

I suppose this was after he lost a few corporate sponsors. We should get a list of his remaining advertisers and boycott them.


message 32: by Mckris10 (new)

Mckris10 | 223 comments I just think that RL and politicians are so wealthy that they are out of touch with what could hurt middle class people financially. I've heard some people say on radio/tv since this controversy started that anyone can get bc if they really need it. They don't realize that the extra 60-80 dollars a month could really set some people back. Sure, that is a lot cheaper than having a baby, but still kind of ridiculous when insurance companies will pay at least something on other prescriptions.


message 33: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Found on Pinterest:


[image error]


message 34: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments lol


back to top