Vaginal Fantasy Book Club discussion

Group Feedback & Merch > Having the authors on the hangout

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin I don't think our hosts came to a decision about whether to invite authors in the future.
I definitely think having the author there would make it more awkward, because there wouldn't be any discussion of why people didn't like the books.
If the authors are invited on, perhaps they could come for 15 minutes at the beginning or end, but not the whole time?

✿◕‿◕✿Pao (orbyknorby) | 12 comments I have to agree with you Caitlin, it will be nice if they could have different segment for when authors want to chat with the group.. I know personally I will be too intimidated to give any negative feedback on books if the author was present.

message 3: by Virginia (new)

Virginia It would be really awkward having authors on and having any sort of honest book discussion. I always feel a little weird putting reviews on goodreads when the author is also a member - it would only be worse via video!
I do like the idea of having a separate author portion though, if they are willing to come on, maybe more of a Q&A than a discussion.

message 4: by Mordant23 (new)

Mordant23 | 7 comments Another option is to use authors to create "specials." Don't have them on all the time, but it would be nice to once in a while have a back and forth. It would be a great opportunity to ask the authors why they wrote the books the way they did.

message 5: by Zetabodhi (new)

Zetabodhi | 8 comments Agreed. I think it would be cool to have an author to do a separate section or a bonus Q&A, but not to be a part of the whole hang-out.

message 6: by Mordant23 (new)

Mordant23 | 7 comments Just to clarify, I meant that it would be cool to have the author on for the entire hangout but that such hangouts should not be the norm. It would be nice to interact with the author as a regular person as opposed to the usual Q & A you get everywhere else. Think Carrie Keagan's style of interview for NGTV or Brad Blanks interview style. Get the author liquored up and then ask them what they think of the Vaginal Fantasy genre or what they think of the smut from an author's perspective. You would need an hour to get that type of interaction and it would leverage the unique capabilities of Google Hangout Air. 15 minute Q & A is a format you can get anywhere else.

message 7: by David (new)

David (david_tames) | 13 comments If you're going to hang out with an author as a regular person, it can't be in relation to a book club style read, which will have already set that regualr person up as an author. The reader/writer relationship will color everything that is said.

What would be really cool is if we got to hang out with authors before we've read their books. Then there would be less squeeing going round, and the chance of normal interaction would be higher.

message 8: by Mordant23 (new)

Mordant23 | 7 comments Orlyn wrote: "If you're going to hang out with an author as a regular person, it can't be in relation to a book club style read, which will have already set that regualr person up as an author. The reader/writer..."

Authors are fans of books too and they have reasons for doing what they do. The divide of creator/audience is mostly inside people's heads. Whether you have a normal interaction with someone is your choice, whether it's authors or your boss.

The point of interviews done in the style of "regular person interaction" is to move away from the Q & A format and have a more conversational style of interaction. If you look at Carrie Keagan's and Brad Blanks' interviews, they give you a more in depth view of the interviewee than the regular publicist packaged interviews because the interviewer is talking to the person just like people talk to anyone else. Maybe a better term to use is "conversational style" interview. The real question isn't whether there will be squeeing in the chat rooms since that can be ignored; it's whether felicia day and company are comfortable having those sorts of conversations and think it'll be interesting for the audience. If they're not, then it's probably best to have shorter Q & A format than to take up an entire hangout session.

message 9: by Robert (new)

Robert Stubbs | 15 comments Orlyn wrote: "What would be really cool is if we got to hang out with authors before we've read their books. Then there would be less squeeing going round, and the chance of normal interaction would be higher. "

Unless of course we are an angry mob who want to get out the pitchforks and torches for the author. Ok I will admit to watching Phineas and Ferb today which lead to me thinking of the mob where you have to schedule them to show up.

message 10: by Felicia, Grand Duchess (new)

Felicia (feliciaday) | 740 comments Mod
These are some really good ideas. I feel like it might be weird to interview the author BEFORE the book club because it might spoil people who haven't gotten to the book yet? I dunno, your input is appreciated, we'll continue to think about it (but I agree it would be awkward within the core show itself!)

message 11: by Necrophidian (last edited Mar 04, 2012 02:26AM) (new)

Necrophidian | 74 comments As I mentioned in another thread, I think having a book's author on might make it weird. My inclination would be to avoid that.

However, what I think might be really neat would be to set aside a month or two in which we either skip reading a book or we read something really light.

On those designated months, try to get a couple-few authors at the same time to discuss the genre, their experiences with it, thoughts, etc.

This might be nice for the hosts as well, 'cuz having all 4 of 'em on for something like this wouldn't be necessary, right? So that allows room for some time off (to, of course, get mired in some other project). ;)

message 12: by Virginia (new)

Virginia DJ Enigma wrote: "On those designated months, try to get a couple-few authors at the same time to discuss the genre, their experiences with it, thoughts, etc."

Ooh, I like this idea - it's just like a panel at a con, and way less awkward than having authors defending/explaining their own work.

message 13: by S. (new)

S. Div. (skelleyh) As an author, as long as insights are well-intended, we always want feedback. I think you're right that setting aside a certain segment or timeframe would keep things more ontopic. But don't shy away from being compassionately honest.

message 14: by Caitlin (last edited Mar 04, 2012 12:13PM) (new)

Caitlin DJ Enigma wrote: "On those designated months, try to get a couple-few authors at the same time to discuss the genre, their experiences with it, thoughts, etc."

I LOVE this idea!

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Caitlin wrote: "DJ Enigma wrote: "On those designated months, try to get a couple-few authors at the same time to discuss the genre, their experiences with it, thoughts, etc."

I LOVE this idea!"

I third this idea. I really like this concept. Keep the author interaction separate from the book reviewing. I really prefer what you're already doing to anything additional, honestly. I think you're already doing a great job and it's so much fun to watch! I think adding the authors into the existing mix could make it awkward unless it's done separately in some way.

message 16: by Chuck (new)

Chuck Bailey (chuck_bailey) | 63 comments I agree with Catlin. I also agree having the author on during the discussion would be awkward and would hinder true feedback. One of the reasons I love this club so much is during the hangouts I feel like I'm discussing with normal women who enjoy the same things I do and can just feel free to be ourselves. Plus the drunken off topic rants are my personal fav. :)