Clockwork Prince (The Infernal Devices, #2) Clockwork Prince discussion

Is anyone else seriously getting sick of love triangles?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 63 (63 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Deena Beena YES THEY'RE REALLY ANNOYING AND ONLY PLEASE HALF (Give or take) THE READERS AND LEAVES THE OTHER READERS UPSET.

Lisa Me!! Its like every book is having one now. It gives the book a lttle interest but not much when it goes on and on and on. And they won't stop the love triangle.

Claudia the Night Owl omgawd yes just about every book now seems to have them.

Lily In other books I am!
but in this one? I don't really know.
I always hate the third wheel... but now I kinda don't know who is the third wheel.
And that is the dilemma_ I love them both!
Let´s hope that one of them finds a better girl:-)

esthermarie Moat of the time i do but this is not your typical love tringle as up untill recently, Will did not know JEm loved Tessa, Jem, did not know Will loved Tessa,eand Tassa did not know that both Will and Jem loved her!
I hate the stupid cliche ones though...ugh.

Valerie I liked this one.... but this one is epic.

Deena Beena esthermarie wrote: "Moat of the time i do but this is not your typical love tringle as up untill recently, Will did not know JEm loved Tessa, Jem, did not know Will loved Tessa,eand Tassa did not know that both Will a..."

I know! And then it sucks because the author is so concentrated on the love triangle that the story barely moves, like nothing happens, its just "Oh who should I choose? Poor me I have two boys fighting over me! Which one.. Which one?"
^No.
Okay seriously, just pick a damn boy and get on with the story.

Lavender I agree. It's really sad how most YA novels seem to be exactly the same now. They're all so predictable.

message 9: by M. (new) - rated it 5 stars

M. I actually stopped reading YA novels with love triangles. They are absolutely stupid and most of the time used to hide the fact that there is no plot.
But, the love triangle in Infernal Devices doesn't bother me that much but I guess it's an exception.

Mercury I sure am they are just annoying the whole girl i love them both what ever shall i do

message 11: by RAI (last edited Mar 03, 2012 09:37PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

RAI It's only annoying when the girl picks the wrong guy and ignores the obvious choice (Bella knowing Jacob was better but going with Edward). Especially when they act like a tease. That just irks me! Just pick a guy already!

Stephanie Yeah they can be.... but there are some authors who can pull them off! In TMI Cassandra Clare has definitely pulled it off. Simon use to be in love with Clary but Clary was in love with Jace, yet in the end everybody was happy (well so far!) In ID we will see but I think it fits so far. I think it's just a matter of opinion whether Love Triangles are good or not and by how the author portrays them.

Arissa I am totally with you. Can't there be more to the books then just relationships?

message 14: by M. (new) - rated it 5 stars

M. Georgie wrote: "thats exactly where i was hoping to go with this convo guys!! one book that i do like with a love triangle however is the hunger games because it is not so raw. there is actually a story line to th..."

I think that love triangles always existed but perhaps the success of Twilight made more writers focus more on the love triangle aspect of the story than the plot itself. I agree that love triangles only work when they are not the focus of the book and when it's not so cut throat. I absolutely hate the love triangle in Twilight because I really don't believe a person can be in love with two guys at the same time. Sorry, being in love doesn't work that way, not in my book, anyways. Yes, you can fancy two, three, four guys at the same time, but being in love is something completely different.
I think the love triangle in Clockwork Prince works because obviously Tessa is not in love with Jem and there is more going on than in the book than the love story.

message 15: by Shay (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shay Love triangles make me angry...especially when the people I want to get together don't >.<

BelleScar I'm completely sick of them. When you get a fresh new book in your hands and read throughout the book about two main characters growing together, expressing love for one another, then bam, the authors throw in another character to add drama to the couple..Drives me nuts.

message 17: by RAI (last edited Mar 05, 2012 09:09AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

RAI Keshena wrote: "I'm certainly not in favor of love triangles used as some obligatory plot device thrown in so that, one day, when the book is being released as a blockbuster film on Thanksgiving day,there can be T..."

I agree. That's something I never thought about. Cool thoughts! So you think Tessa's choice has to do with choosing the guy she thinks will be the right choice for the person she wants to be?

message 18: by M. (last edited Mar 06, 2012 07:43AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

M. Actually, I think Tessa is going to pick who she is really in love with and that is Will. She loves Jem, but I think it's a friendship love. And if Jem truly knew Tessa and her heart, he would have known that she loved Will, right? I still think it's completely unbelievable that Will and Jem were unaware that they were pining over the same girl. I thought parabatai were supposed to know everything about each other (like Jace knew that Alec had a thing for him).

Sophia Um. In Clockwork Prince especially, I found the love triangle very intriguing. Usually, the two guys represent to ways the girl could go with her life - also, they usually hate each other. But in Clockwork Prince, they are best friends. They love each other, maybe more than they love Tessa. Also, who is she better off with, really? I think out of all love triangles to complain about, this is really the most interesting and heartgripping one. So no, I'm not sick of the love triangle in the Infernal Devices.

message 20: by RAI (last edited Mar 06, 2012 02:59PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

RAI Keshena wrote: "Marshanah wrote: "Keshena wrote: "I'm certainly not in favor of love triangles used as some obligatory plot device thrown in so that, one day, when the book is being released as a blockbuster film ..."

Wow. You interpreted their relationships a whole lot better than me. I just chose the guy I thought Tessa felt more drawn to. I mean, you can't help but feel sorry for both of them. Jem, who's gonna die soon, and Will, who all this time thought whoever he loved would die due to some false curse a demon "put" on him as a kid. All those years he'd been haunted by the death of his sister, thinking he himself was to blame for the tragedy that'd struck his family. I feel bad for both of them, but I feel sorry for Will more becuz he can't be with the girl he'd kept at arms length now that she's with Jem. :(

message 21: by PJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

PJ lol i agree its annoying!!! cause u always like the other guy or girl and they never get their lover lol

message 22: by RAI (new) - rated it 4 stars

RAI Sarah H. wrote: "lol i agree its annoying!!! cause u always like the other guy or girl and they never get their lover lol"

Right! It's bogus as hell.

Deena Beena Georgie wrote: "iv realised that now whenever this occurs in books, i literally want to throw it at a wall"

Same here! It's like, "Oh this is a good book, the girl and the guy have a good relationship coming there way!" *turns page* "What?! Another guy?!" *More into the book* Girl: "Oh no, who should I choose? They're both just so good looking blah blah BLAH."
djiknfsdikjgewr.
NO.

Amanda (Gale's Chosen One) Potter This is one of the rare books where it has a really good love triangle. I have no idea who she is going to pick.
One love triangle i hated was the one in the House Of Night, which i wouldn't call a triangle because she was juggling 3 guys at one. That is just wrong.

message 25: by Brie (new) - rated it 3 stars

Brie Personally. I vote authors just get rid of love interests completely or make them less dominant and focus on the actual story so the books are actually entertaining.
There's only so many times a girl can read about the electric feeling a character gets when skin touches skin without it getting old.

message 26: by M. (new) - rated it 5 stars

M. Brie wrote: "Personally. I vote authors just get rid of love interests completely or make them less dominant and focus on the actual story so the books are actually entertaining.
There's only so many times a g..."

I'm trying to remember if Tessa felt this 'electric' feeling when Will kissed her. I can't remember. But you are right, in every single YA book, there is this unbelievable electric feeling, lol. I guess that is the word of choice for authors to convey that the kiss was freaking amazing and that the main characters have such a strong connection. Like when you are teenager you can have a strong connection to anyone. It's the hormones talking.

message 27: by RAI (new) - rated it 4 stars

RAI Deena Beena wrote: "Georgie wrote: "iv realised that now whenever this occurs in books, i literally want to throw it at a wall"

Same here! It's like, "Oh this is a good book, the girl and the guy have a good relation..."

Yeah it's annoying, but maybe the author did it to keep the interest of the reader. Or maybe just to lengthen the story. Whatever the reason, it's unfair to the guy who gets left behind, alone. I mean, they deserve to have someone too, at least if it's not the person they wanted. Example: In the Vampire Academy series, Rose chooses Dimitri over Adrian. Now in Bloodlines, it seems like Adrian could get with Sydney. I'm hoping she does, even though it'd be complicated.

message 28: by Alyssha (new) - added it

Alyssha Love triangles are getting kind of lame. every time i open up a paranormal genre . someone is always loving 2 people. thats why i kind of like the house of night books because zoey be having like 4 guys on her at once.(not to be perverted or anything).

message 29: by RAI (last edited Mar 09, 2012 06:19PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

RAI Alyssha wrote: "Love triangles are getting kind of lame. every time i open up a paranormal genre . someone is always loving 2 people. thats why i kind of like the house of night books because zoey be having like 4..."

Noooooo! You like the House of Night series?! That's what made that series so horrible that I stopped on the third book. I was afraid that it'd get worse and she'd become even more of a ho (if that's even possible). She might be even worse than Aphrodite. I liked Zoe at the beginning of the series, but then after all the guys, I couldn't continue. I'm so mad she broke Erik's heart. >:(

Amanda (Gale's Chosen One) Potter Marshanah wrote: "Alyssha wrote: "Love triangles are getting kind of lame. every time i open up a paranormal genre . someone is always loving 2 people. thats why i kind of like the house of night books because zoey ..."

Yes I agree!
I can't stand her. The way she is with guys is pathetic.
I felt sorry for Erik aswell, but somehow some think he is the asshole :/

message 31: by RAI (last edited Mar 09, 2012 06:51PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

RAI Amanda wrote: "Marshanah wrote: "Alyssha wrote: "Love triangles are getting kind of lame. every time i open up a paranormal genre . someone is always loving 2 people. thats why i kind of like the house of night b..."

Yeah he called her a b**** when he found out she'd slept with Pro. Blake, but she deserved it. Even her friends were pissed off at her. If that makes him an a** hole, then so be it. He's just gonna have to be a right a** hole. I mean, it's not like he started cursing at her for no reason. She cheated on him for crying out loud! He was willing to let her thing with her old boyfriend remain, but her sleeping with Blake went way over the line. I mean, can you blame him for being pissed off? Also, Zoe IS pathetic when it comes to guys. Like, seriously? She couldn't keep her legs closed while Erik was away? And even when he was there she couldn't. See, now I'm getting all worked up over her bull crap. Any way, just to say frankly, that was the worst series in the history of bad books.

Amanda (Gale's Chosen One) Potter Marshanah wrote: "Amanda wrote: "Marshanah wrote: "Alyssha wrote: "Love triangles are getting kind of lame. every time i open up a paranormal genre . someone is always loving 2 people. thats why i kind of like the h..."

Haha exactly!
Don't worry about getting worked up, i completely understand. It truly is one of the worst books ever.
Zoey deserved what she got in my opinion. I also think that Erik, Heath and Stark deserve better.
I was glad when Loren died to be honest, because i was like oh good she'll be down to no boyfriends and they can focus on more important things. But then sure enough she goes back with Erik and i'm pretty sure Heath and then along comes Stark! What is the go with that? PC and Kristen are clueless when it comes to good storytelling.

message 33: by RAI (new) - rated it 4 stars

RAI Amanda wrote: "Marshanah wrote: "Amanda wrote: "Marshanah wrote: "Alyssha wrote: "Love triangles are getting kind of lame. every time i open up a paranormal genre . someone is always loving 2 people. thats why i ..."

I didn't know that Erik came back or that she gets with some other guy, Heath? Or Stark? Whatever. I don't really care about spoilers, becuz I don't plan to pick that series back up. It went from being a respectable vampire series with an admiral heroine that actually seemed like it might be good to just plain stupid. And yes, PC and Kisten are bad storytellers. Like, they ruined their own book series. What kind of authors do that crap? I mean, are they trying to get people to write it off as tacky and worthless and never read anything by them again? It just irks me. Ugh!!!

message 34: by Brie (new) - rated it 3 stars

Brie Marshanah wrote: "Amanda wrote: "Marshanah wrote: "Amanda wrote: "Marshanah wrote: "Alyssha wrote: "Love triangles are getting kind of lame. every time i open up a paranormal genre . someone is always loving 2 peopl..."

I think they stopped caring what they wrote because they know those stupid easily manipulated people(me) will keep reading cause we've already invested so much time and effort.. Oh. And theyre living out their whorish teenage fantasies. I'm pretty sure I've been brain washed cause I still slightly enjoy them. Embarassing but true.

message 35: by RAI (new) - rated it 4 stars

RAI Brie wrote: "Marshanah wrote: "Amanda wrote: "Marshanah wrote: "Amanda wrote: "Marshanah wrote: "Alyssha wrote: "Love triangles are getting kind of lame. every time i open up a paranormal genre . someone is alw..."

Really? After the sucky plot and crap that Zoe's got herself into with different guys? I can't feel the same. I just can't. You're entitled to your opinion, but... I just can't like the series. Sorry.

message 36: by Brie (new) - rated it 3 stars

Brie Marshanah wrote: "Brie wrote: "Marshanah wrote: "Amanda wrote: "Marshanah wrote: "Amanda wrote: "Marshanah wrote: "Alyssha wrote: "Love triangles are getting kind of lame. every time i open up a paranormal genre . s..."

I totally get that. I would love to hate them but I'm just waiting for that one book that redeems it all. Which probably won't happen but oh well haha

Amanda (Gale's Chosen One) Potter Marshanah wrote: "Amanda wrote: "Marshanah wrote: "Amanda wrote: "Marshanah wrote: "Alyssha wrote: "Love triangles are getting kind of lame. every time i open up a paranormal genre . someone is always loving 2 peopl..."

oh wait didn't you stop after book 3?
Well yeah, the love triangle just gets bigger and
worse. It's just a mess.
I would love to meet the authors and ask them what they were thinking.
I also thought the language they used was so childish. Especially they way they would always say "oh hell" "omg" "bff" etc it made it really hard to read. Then I thought a lot of the characters were very stereotypical. Did you get that impression also?

Amanda (Gale's Chosen One) Potter Brie wrote: "Marshanah wrote: "Brie wrote: "Marshanah wrote: "Amanda wrote: "Marshanah wrote: "Amanda wrote: "Marshanah wrote: "Alyssha wrote: "Love triangles are getting kind of lame. every time i open up a pa..."

I still read them only because I can't not finish a series, no matter how bad it is. What book is the latest one? Haha I can't even keep up.

message 39: by Brie (last edited Mar 10, 2012 01:21AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Brie Amanda wrote: "Brie wrote: "Marshanah wrote: "Brie wrote: "Marshanah wrote: "Amanda wrote: "Marshanah wrote: "Amanda wrote: "Marshanah wrote: "Alyssha wrote: "Love triangles are getting kind of lame. every time i..."

Destined. I looked:)

Amanda (Gale's Chosen One) Potter Brie wrote: "Amanda wrote: "Brie wrote: "Marshanah wrote: "Brie wrote: "Marshanah wrote: "Amanda wrote: "Marshanah wrote: "Amanda wrote: "Marshanah wrote: "Alyssha wrote: "Love triangles are getting kind of lam..."

Oh thanks :) Have you read it yet?

message 41: by Brie (new) - rated it 3 stars

Brie Amanda wrote: "Brie wrote: "Amanda wrote: "Brie wrote: "Marshanah wrote: "Brie wrote: "Marshanah wrote: "Amanda wrote: "Marshanah wrote: "Amanda wrote: "Marshanah wrote: "Alyssha wrote: "Love triangles are gettin..."

Yep haha its pretty much like the last few with a couple new things going on but decent

Amanda (Gale's Chosen One) Potter Brie wrote: "Amanda wrote: "Brie wrote: "Amanda wrote: "Brie wrote: "Marshanah wrote: "Brie wrote: "Marshanah wrote: "Amanda wrote: "Marshanah wrote: "Amanda wrote: "Marshanah wrote: "Alyssha wrote: "Love trian..."

Oh cool i kind of do want to read it, is it true that there is something involving Heath in some complicated way?

message 43: by RAI (new) - rated it 4 stars

RAI Amanda (Gale's Wife) wrote: "Marshanah wrote: "Amanda wrote: "Marshanah wrote: "Amanda wrote: "Marshanah wrote: "Alyssha wrote: "Love triangles are getting kind of lame. every time i open up a paranormal genre . someone is alw..."

Yeah, I did. It was just stupid. I don't really want to read the series further until it gets better becuz I have a feeling it's not going to. And then I'll just continue being disappointed.

message 44: by Brie (new) - rated it 3 stars

Brie Amanda (Gale's Wife) wrote: "Brie wrote: "Amanda wrote: "Brie wrote: "Amanda wrote: "Brie wrote: "Marshanah wrote: "Brie wrote: "Marshanah wrote: "Amanda wrote: "Marshanah wrote: "Amanda wrote: "Marshanah wrote: "Alyssha wrote..."

Oh yes:) Heath is back.. Kind of. Lol sorry it's hard to explain.

message 45: by RAI (new) - rated it 4 stars

RAI Alyssa wrote: "Georgie wrote: "i have noticed that in nearly every YA book out there, there is always a love triangle. in my opinion, it is stupid and really irritates me whenever there is one. ANYBODY ELSE OUT T..."

Yeah, the girl acts like such a tease when she knows it's only gonna be one guy she ends up with.

Astrid Would you guys please tell me WHY you hate love triangles? I just really don't get it. I mean, I like love triangles (but only girl-guy-guy and not girl-girl-guy)! It keeps the book interesting and we can focus on something else besides the earth-shattering problem in the book. Yeah, I guess it's wrong for the girl to do that to the guys, but they can't always help it, can they? *confused*

Hannah Love triangles are stupid. Why can't we have a love hexagon? Or a love line? Wouldn't that be great if the girl didn' t have to choose between two boys and she could just realize that the one guy was perfect for her.

message 48: by RAI (new) - rated it 4 stars

RAI Aina wrote: "Would you guys please tell me WHY you hate love triangles? I just really don't get it. I mean, I like love triangles (but only girl-guy-guy and not girl-girl-guy)! It keeps the book interesting and..."

It's just that every book with romance in it seems to have a freakin' love triangle and it's not original anymore. It's starting to get annoying. I mean, I like a good love story, but some are way too cheesy and unoriginal.

message 49: by RAI (new) - rated it 4 stars

RAI Keily wrote: "I'm just getting annoyed as it appears to be a reoccurring trend in YA books :/"

Right!

Astrid Marshanah wrote: "Aina wrote: "Would you guys please tell me WHY you hate love triangles? I just really don't get it. I mean, I like love triangles (but only girl-guy-guy and not girl-girl-guy)! It keeps the book in..."

So you don't hate ALL love triangles, just the cheesy and unoriginal ones?

« previous 1