Irish Readers discussion

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joy (new)

Joy Hi, my name is Joy. I'm nineteen-years-old and someday I would love to go to Ireland. However, I don't know much about the country..so I was hoping that maybe if I joined an Irish Group on GR; that maybe someone would like to give me a few facts about Ireland.

I have been obsessed about Ireland and it's culture since I was sixteen. I love the music and I LOVE LOVE the Irish Tap Dancing.

soooooo...yeah!

message 2: by Reazi (new)

Reazi | 8 comments Me too.
I'd love to go there , hopefully in this lifetime :)

message 3: by Joy (new)

Joy where you from?

message 4: by Reazi (new)

Reazi | 8 comments Suriname. it's a country in south-america.
You?

message 5: by Orla (new)

Orla (orlathewitch) Hey guys, I assume there are lots of Irish people in this group (though honestly I don't know) but if you have any questions I guess I'd be happy to answer them.

message 6: by Reazi (new)

Reazi | 8 comments is the food any good?

message 7: by Orla (new)

Orla (orlathewitch) Ha no!
Well that's not fair, the food is mixed. Irish traditional food is not exciting. Lots of boiled potatoes, carrots, cabbage. Roast beef or pork, chicken, mostly just with gravy. Stew and soup are a thing that can be nice. Irish grandmother are famous for good pie (apple or ruebarb) This kind of food can be nice if you're a really good cook and really boring or gross if you're not.

But no as a whole the food is not good. We eat a lot of Italian, French, Chinese and Japanese food with American Fast Food depending on your age.

message 8: by Reazi (new)

Reazi | 8 comments Well I'd still like to try some. Maybe the stew and the soups:D and desserts.
Are the people nice?

message 9: by Joy (new)

Joy MadauG wrote: "Suriname. it's a country in south-america.
You?"

USA

message 10: by Joy (new)

Joy Orla wrote: "Hey guys, I assume there are lots of Irish people in this group (though honestly I don't know) but if you have any questions I guess I'd be happy to answer them."

Is Irish Tap Dancing hard or can you like learn it in one day? lol

What are weddings like?

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Joy. The food is as good as the cook. Where I live in Cork there are great suppliers and it's possible to eat very well. Many ordinary people eat badly. Meat and Potatos and hardly any veggies.
Dancing?
There are Irish dance classes all over the world, somewhere there is a dance teacher doing Irish dance near you. It's not easy but at the University where my wife teaches - Dance Studies - there are students from Japan, Russia, China and Africa all doing Irish dance and music. It's become universal. Give it a go.
Céad míle beannachta. --- One hundred thousand blessings.

Davidrory,

message 12: by Eleanor (new)

Eleanor (realtastypages) I don't agree with Orla above, Irish tradition food can be just as tasty as lets say italian as long as its cooked right!
Although i wouldn't ahve it every day I would also eat a mixture of Italian, Mexican and i love thai food.

Irish dancing is like any kind of dancing if you have a knack for it you can pick it up within a few hours.

message 13: by Orla (new)

Orla (orlathewitch) I agreed with Elle about the food but not the dancing. I was an amateur dancer for years and Irish dancing takes much longer than a few hours to get good at. You can learn a dance in a day.

message 14: by Joy (new)

Joy Thanks for all the cool information....I live in the US...if I would to come to Ireland...where should go go first? Any places that aren't on most tourist list of places to go?

message 15: by Eleanor (new)

Eleanor (realtastypages) There are some many brilliant places to visit in Ireland , It really depends on how long your here and what type on things your in too. Dublin has nearly everything. But then Galway is great for the traditional stuff and Cork is also lovely town aswell. Really you can't go wrong and most people are nice, although Ireland is like everywhere you get your arseholes aswell.

message 16: by Joy (new)

Joy lol...i love ur last sentence.

I really like the more traditional stuff and places.

message 17: by DJ =^^= (last edited Apr 03, 2012 05:28AM) (new)

DJ =^^= (debzee) | 29 comments I have been to Ireland and will visit again later this year. I agree with David, the food is good as the cook. The food is actually better than what I get in the states. I love how the food is organic. It's not mainly potatoes either haahha.
I really enjoyed the garlic mayo and curry sauce with the fish & chips.
The only thing I didn't really like is the black pudding....

message 18: by Mae (new)

Mae (goodreadscommae) | 43 comments Deb wrote: "I have been to Ireland and will visit again later this year. I agree with David, the food is good as the cook. The food is actually better than what I get in the states. I love how the food is org..."
And, as you said, even then... there are some good black pudding recipes....

message 19: by DJ =^^= (new)

DJ =^^= (debzee) | 29 comments actually no, knowing what black pudding is made out of.. even if it was dipped in gold, i would still detest it. sorry. My boyfriend is Irish. He isfrom Dublin but takes me all over the country each time I visit. He has had me try many types of both puddings. I can take the white but the black made me sick.

message 20: by Eleanor (new)

Eleanor (realtastypages) I never used to like Black pudding but as i have gotten older i've grown to like it and now really enjoy it.

message 21: by Joy (new)

Joy What's black pudding made of?

message 22: by DJ =^^= (new)

DJ =^^= (debzee) | 29 comments main ingredient is pig's blood

message 23: by Joy (new)

Joy Deb wrote: "main ingredient is pig's blood"

That sounds nasty!!! What happened to chocolate pudding?

message 24: by DJ =^^= (new)

DJ =^^= (debzee) | 29 comments haha i agree chocolate pudding is nice.
the black pudding is a different consistency than the pudding I am used to in the USA. black pudding kinda resembles a breakfast sausage patty if you get what I mean.

message 25: by Joy (new)

Joy (Note to self: never eat black pudding)

I liked to visit villages in Ireland, not big cities and such. What part of Ireland do I need to go to?