Boxall's 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die discussion

Watchmen
This topic is about Watchmen
Specific List Books > Watchmen

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Alyson Of Bathe (alysonofbathe) | 20 comments Hi everyone!

Anyone read Watchmen yet? Very quick read - refreshing from some of the other entries!

I posted some thoughts here.

What does everyone think? Any comic book junkies out there? I personally loved the subversiveness of it all, how Alan Moore undercuts the traditional comic book superhero. I can't help but wonder whether DC understood the subtext when they published.

Cheers,
Alyson.

message 2: by Monica (new) - added it

Monica (ritabook) | 10 comments Alyson Of Bathe wrote: "Hi everyone!

Anyone read Watchmen yet? Very quick read - refreshing from some of the other entries!

I posted some thoughts here.

What does everyone think? Any comic book junkies out there?..."

I am currently reading Watchmen and I am a bit of a comic book junky but mostly leaning toward the DC Vertigo variety and anything by warren ellis, neil gaiman, and garth ennis. I've had alan moore's V for Vendetta for awhile and still have not cracked it but fully intend to now for the following reason. I cannot get into Watchmen because I've already seen the movie and I'm about a quarter of the way in to the comic book with every scene matching exactly. I had just recently DVR'ed V for Vendetta but forget about it. I have to read the comic before I watch the film or I'll never get around to it otherwise.

The comic books I typically read generally have heroes that are weirdos and not run of the mill or super in any way. That's how I feel about the Watchmen. I will respond again when I finally get through the book.

Alyson Of Bathe (alysonofbathe) | 20 comments The movie is a funny thing - some details are spot-on (I particularly liked certain aspects of the art direction - the recreation of specific panels was impressive) and others just miss the mark entirely. A huge component of Watchmen is its subversiveness; Alan Moore asks questions about the ethical responsibility of the superhero and whether its viable, whereas the movie plays it fairly straight. I'm on the fence about the movie, it certainly has strong facets, but I think the mood is decidedly different from the comic.

And as to it matching exactly - wait until the end of the comic, where things get pretty different. A lot of Watchmen fans (myself included) were disappointed with the change implemented in the movie.

Happy reading!

Shaun Provost | 3 comments Haven't watched the movie, but more than just being subversive of superhero comics it also takes aim at entertainment, politics, power, and morality. Probably the worst part about the book, however, is how easy it is to misread. Witness all the people who came out of the movie (or finishing the comic for that matter) thinking Rorschach was a cool dude, standing up to the man and telling it like it is.

CD  | 49 comments I just read a review of Watchmen (here at goodreads) where the reviewer points out succinctly the main issue that most people have with book vs movie and the ambiguity therein:

That issue is who are the good guys and the bad guys in the story?

It is or should be very clear. Not wanting to ruin either film or book for anyone and not wanting to hide commentary behind a ***spoiler*** alert, I'll leave it at that for now.