Hunted (House of Night, #5)
This topic is about Hunted
Series > Hunted

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erika, Dream Thief (new) - rated it 3 stars

Erika (livingforthebooks) | 5276 comments Mod
Thoughts?

Jean Valjean (OG 2010) (courfeyrack) This is going to pretty much be a book.

It's hard to read this series when the characters are so hate-able. The stereotypes are preposterous, and I normally don't care about stuff like that. The black people (who are pointed out time and time again as being black when referred to) talk like they don't have an education past the third grade and always wear their pants around their ankles. (Except for one of the Twins, who is constantly referred to as cafe latte colored).

Damien and Jack are referred to as gay in what feels like every sentence. Of course one of them is a crying, screaming, fainter. I love how every time they are introduced to new characters or just to the reader (because we are told the same things OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN IN EVERY BOOK) we are told they are gay. As if it matters. "Oh yep, there's Damien and Jack. Who are gay. It's okay though. It's not like I'm a homophobe. They are just gay. Totally gay. But that's cool. Gay."

That, combined with the paragraphs dedicated to how it's okay that girls showered together because they were not gay and not interested in each other's boobies (those are the author's words, not mine) leaves me feeling a bit awkward.

There are so many things that are supposed to be cute or endearing (I think) and are just annoying. Zoey's inability to swear is one. It is irritating and I am tired of watching it be addressed constantly. Same with Damien's vocab words. First of all, these are words that people should already know. I'm tired of having the author talk to me like I'm an idiot as she constantly explains, through Damien, what words mean.

Every time the Twins talk, I want to kill myself. Also, why the fuck is it called BROWN POP?

I don't want to get started on Stevie Rae. I think that her name alone says enough.

Which of course brings us to Zoey. By now I have spent five books listening to how she is a super special vampyre (seriously...? does anyone else picture Andrew from Buffy saying this?) with more magical powers than ANYONE EVER and she is super hot, and super awesome, and all the boys want her.

Of course she can't pick one! Whoever she is currently with is the one she loves the most. Heath, her human boyfriend, tastes "yummy" and is somehow obsessively in love with her despite the fact that in the first book we see he was getting drunk and probably cheating on her with other girls at high school parties. They imprint multiple times because clearly we can't do the same plot line twice!

And there is Erik, who is her super sexy vamp boyfriend. For some reason, Zoey seems to think it was HIS fault that he was mean to her after he walked in on her fucking their teacher. She is actually mad at him for calling her a slut. She actually thinks he did something wrong by treating her badly and breaking up with her. Because Loren seduced her, it totally wasn't her fault. So she acts like she has to forgive him or something, and he is understandably jealous and possessive when they (for some reason) get back together.

And Stark. Ahhh...Stark. I actually liked him the best, though I have no idea why on earth he likes Zoey. He knows her for all of two minutes when he dies, and of course in his dying breath he begs her to kiss him and she is, obviously, the reason he can hang on to his humanity. Um, I thought Erik and Zoey being in love after two months was preposterous, but two minutes?!

So basically. Everyone loves Zoey, Aphrodite is still a stank slut ho-bag bitch hag despite the way she's been acting for several books now, every woman who shows sexual interest is a slut (except for Zoey, of course), it's a good idea to remind people every thirty seconds that your friend is gay, and of course the big evil thing in the world is only being evil because he wants Zoey's love.

There are a lot of books where the main character is very special. They are all done without turning the MC into a bragging, stuck-up, whore.

Perfection *Sherlock's Girl* | 457 comments Bunny wrote: "This is going to pretty much be a book.

It's hard to read this series when the characters are so hate-able. The stereotypes are preposterous, and I normally don't care about stuff like that. The ..."

Woah... I thought this was the worst book in the series too. But your sentiments..*tips hat* I loved your review. And yes Stark is the sole and only reason I read the books. He makes it all worth it.

message 4: by Ela (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ela Bunny wrote: "This is going to pretty much be a book.

It's hard to read this series when the characters are so hate-able. The stereotypes are preposterous, and I normally don't care about stuff like that. The ..."

Wow...That was impressive, agree with every thing; except Stevie Ray, I like her, she's sweet.

Anna | 300 comments Damien's vocab lessons, brown pop, y'all, the 'black slang' the twins and that speech the tracker does when he/she find a new Vampyre - just painful.

message 6: by Ela (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ela And embarassing, don't forget embrarassing.

Lauraeimre | 51 comments Last year I set myself goal to read all of the 5 books that have been translated. I made it to book 4... I started reading this but no!! I rather jump out of a window than read this series. HOW MANY BOYFRIENDS DOES THIS STUPID MAIN CHARACTER ZOEY OR WHATEVER HER NAME IS HAS?!
I wasted 2 weeks of summer when I read these books.