The Readers discussion

Episode Discussions > Episode 21 Bored with Books

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Becky (new)

Becky Yamarik | 74 comments for Gav,
I have the perfect solution to get you out of your reading funk. I will send you my 3 1/2 yr old and my 11 mth old for the week. . . after the 118th version of "tiger kills wildebeest", and the 9th diaper change, you will long or a moment of freedom with a good book!

Don't let this put you off parenthood of course, there's nothing more wonderful in life, blah blah. . . but it does give "free time" a new level of value.

message 2: by Louise (new)

Louise | 154 comments How right you are Becky. My 3 yr old has an uncanny way of knowing when I'm reading - he won't disturb me half as much when I'm doing dishes, laundry etc. But settle down with a good book and there's no end to important stuff he has to tell me/need my help with.
Thank God for breaks at work and audiobooks in the car!

message 3: by Becky (new)

Becky Yamarik | 74 comments ahh, you've hit on the core issue of what is an acceptable excuse for NOT playing with your child. . . speaking for myself, I feel morally justified saying 'go play by yourself, I'm busy' when I'm doing something 'for the family' like laundry, dishes, etc. . . wdn't Simon tell us that reading is just as impt and worthwhile as those other activities? Wd he tell us that we shd say 'go play by yourself, I'm busy' when we're reading books! ;)

message 4: by Elizabeth☮ (new)

Elizabeth☮ i can't imagine being bored with books. hitting a lull i suppose. i would read totally mindless books to get back into the groove of things.

sometimes being less serious about reading helps.

message 5: by Tasha (new)

Tasha There was a brief time, when my first child was born, that I sort of took a break from books but it wasn't intentional. I was SO tired and trying to adjust to a new lifestyle that I just never picked up a book until much later after things sort of settled down. it's been back to non-stop ever since I picked up a book again. I do remember picking up a book after that long lull and feeling surprised that it had been that long!

message 6: by Simon (new)

Simon (savidgereads) | 449 comments Mod
Becky wrote: "for Gav,
I have the perfect solution to get you out of your reading funk. I will send you my 3 1/2 yr old and my 11 mth old for the week. . . after the 118th version of "tiger kills wildebeest", a..."

I am going to make Gav pop and read this Becky (he's not on here as much as me) as it has just made me laugh and laugh and laugh.

message 7: by Simon (new)

Simon (savidgereads) | 449 comments Mod
Becky wrote: "ahh, you've hit on the core issue of what is an acceptable excuse for NOT playing with your child. . . speaking for myself, I feel morally justified saying 'go play by yourself, I'm busy' when I'm ..."

I would say household chores are important, reading to children is important and giving yourself time to read is important. How on the fence is that? ;)

message 8: by Elizabeth☮ (new)

Elizabeth☮ was this the same episode that talked about celebrity authors? if so, i'd like to say that american actors that have written books, that i can think of, are:

Ethan Hawke
Steve Martin
whoopie goldberg (the computer isn't finding her name here, but she has a series of children's books about ballet)

these are the ones i can think of off the top of my head.

i would highly recommend Shopgirl. i just loved the tone of this book. i felt like i had a nice quilt wrapped around me as i read.