Beyond Reality discussion

Short story discussions > Nebula Nom: The Paper Menagerie, by Ken Liu

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Candiss (last edited Mar 03, 2012 03:30PM) (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments Let's discuss The Paper Menagerie* by Ken Liu, nominated in the Short Story category for the 2011 Nebula Awards.

*Please note: This story is in PDF form at the link provided on the Nebula Awards page. If anyone finds it online for free in another format, please let us know.

Edit to add: The story is listed on Goodreads, even though it's not a full book. The Paper Menagerie

message 2: by Laurel (new)

Laurel I came extremely close to tears reading this piece. I think that it's hauntingly beautiful!

message 3: by Helen (new)

Helen I've just sent this to my kindle. Should be reading it later.

message 4: by Maggie (new)

Maggie K | 298 comments Very heart wrenching....

message 5: by Laurel (new)

Laurel It makes me want to look up the date, and re-read it every year in honor of my grandparents.

message 6: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments Wow. This was very poignant, very raw. I'll admit I did a lot more than merely mist up after reading this one.

Ken Liu seems to have made origami a recurring theme in his sf stories. I think he does wonderful things with it.

message 7: by Laurel (new)

Laurel I think he was nominated for a novella as well. I'm going to have to look it up!

message 8: by Traveller (new)

Traveller (moontravlr) I'll openly admit that I bawled. It felt so true. Thanks for linking, Candiss! I'll definitely be watching out for more Liu. I love his voice.

message 9: by Bill (new)

Bill (reedye) | 56 comments This was great. Not come across his name before but definitely going to find some more work by him.

message 10: by Helen (new)

Helen What a moving story, I adore the origami animals and gasped aloud when the other boy .... Don't want to spoil this for anyone.

message 11: by Nikita (new)

Nikita (nikita42) Definitely a great story and a tear-jerker. And origami animals that are alive would be the best toys in the world.

message 12: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (varmint3) | 34 comments Beautiful, sad story - I loved the origami animals and how they connected the grown boy to his childhood self and to his mother. Definitely will be looking for more from this author!

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 132 comments I started crying halfway through. Beautiful story.

I hadn't heard of Liu before, but today's Daily Science Fiction email was by him as well, and I thought it was excellent. It should be on their site next week.

message 14: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 82 comments What a cryer. Its touches so much on what it was to grow up and realize your parents were people like all others

message 15: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Stefan (sraets) | 1667 comments Mod
Gorgeous story. I wouldn't be surprised it this won the award. Even though it's not strictly my favorite, it has that universal appeal. And so moving.

message 16: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 132 comments My guess is it's between this one and the Nancy Fulda story. Both had strong speculative elements, strong characters, strong writing, and resonant themes.

message 17: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 966 comments Beautiful story, that much is clear. I'm not sure if it's my favorite. Still have some mulling over to do.

message 18: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Shel (shel99) | 2175 comments Mod
Absolutely gorgeous.

message 19: by Dani (new)

Dani (danooli) I love this story. I first became aware of it in audio format over at Podcastle: http://podcastle.org/2011/07/12/podca...
You can listen to it (for free!) there.