Beyond Reality discussion

Short story discussions > Nebula Nom: The Cartographer Wasps and the Anarchist Bees, by E. Lily Yu

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments Let's discuss The Cartographer Wasps and the Anarchist Bees by E. Lily Yu, nominated in the Short Story category for the 2011 Nebula Awards.

message 2: by Maggie (new)

Maggie K | 298 comments I really liked this one! The spirit of rebellion really came across!

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 132 comments Beautifully written.

message 4: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 82 comments I enjoyed this. It was well written.

message 5: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Stefan (sraets) | 1667 comments Mod
What a unique story. And the author has a gorgeous prose voice, very subtle and delicate. Nicely done, especially for such a young writer.

message 6: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 971 comments I thought the story had moments of real humor. I missed solid characters, but the unique plot ideas just kept coming. It was a good read.

message 7: by Random (last edited Apr 25, 2012 04:51PM) (new)

Random (rand0m1s) | 828 comments Beautifully written and quite imaginative. I suspect it will be worth keeping an eye on her in the future.

My only problem is that I feel like I missed something at the end and I'm not sure what it may be.

message 8: by Jasmine M (new)

Jasmine M | 19 comments Random wrote: "Beautifully written and quite imaginative. I suspect it will be worth keeping an eye on her in the future.

My only problem is that I feel like I missed something at the end and I'm not sure what i..."

same here...well not only in the end... throughout the read I was trying to figure out what is the writer trying to say...on who's side is she

I'd really like to know what others thought about the ideas expressed in this story...

message 9: by Sara (new)

Sara (vivianstreet) | 9 comments Random wrote: "My only problem is that I feel like I missed something at the end and I'm not sure what i..."

I did, too. I read the comments, and some of them think the ending's a snarky comment about anarchists lacking planning. I don't know....

I enjoyed the story quite a lot!

message 10: by Ric (new)

Ric (ricaustria) | 28 comments I liked the story too even though I have no idea what the ending meant. The writing is so measured, stately, like watching the Queen move up the aisles.

message 11: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Stefan (sraets) | 1667 comments Mod
I really liked this story, but I think Nick nailed it right on the head in his comment above: it lacks solid characters. It's almost like a Jorge Luis Borges story: more about ideas than people.