Beyond Reality discussion

Short story discussions > Reading the [2011] Nebula Nominees, 2012 Edition

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments (That's the 2011 Nebula Awards, which take place in 2012, of course.)

Hi, everyone. After a bit of discussion in the 'Update' thread below, general group consensus has decreed we repeat our Nebula Nominee read project from last year. I really enjoyed reading and discussing the nominated stories with you all, and I know we're in for another great batch of short fiction. All of the nominated stories are available online for free this year, which makes things very convenient for us.

We'll keep this simple: Seven stories/seven folders, all open for discussion anytime as member interest dictates. Read the stories all in a batch or pick and choose as you see fit, then come talk about the stories that you like best (or least, as the case may be) whenever you like.

The Forty-Seventh Nebula Awards ceremonies will be held Thursday, May 17, through Sunday, May 20, 2012. That gives us just over ten weeks for reading and discussion. Can we predict the winners?

message 2: by Jasmine M (new)

Jasmine M | 19 comments that it so cool, I'm in...
since I'm new to this group, brand new, I don't know how this goes, so may I make a suggestion?

why don't you start a poll and ask the members which of the stories they think will win the award, this way we will have a clear idea of the members' preferences and we could compare our results to the actual event, how does that sound?

message 3: by Nick (last edited May 09, 2012 07:24AM) (new)

Nick (doily) | 971 comments So next week is the big ceremonies. You asked, Candiss, if we can predict the winners. I dunno,can we?

I have finished the stories, and I have three favorites. But for pure visceral impact, I think I would go with "Her Husband's Hands." -- even though I don't think it actually will win because I see the validity of all the comments our readers have made about it's garrish nature, etc.

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 132 comments I think Ken Liu or Nancy Fulda will win. I'm with Liu.

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 132 comments Oh, and I'm going to be there for at least part of the Nebula weekend, though not the ceremony. Anyone else going?

message 6: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 971 comments Sarah Pi wrote: "I think Ken Liu or Nancy Fulda will win. I'm with Liu."

Those were my other two favorites.

message 7: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 971 comments Sarah Pi wrote: "Oh, and I'm going to be there for at least part of the Nebula weekend, though not the ceremony. Anyone else going?"

That sounds cool. I'll be there in spirit.

message 8: by Random (last edited May 09, 2012 09:04AM) (new)

Random (rand0m1s) | 828 comments Choosing a favorite is a difficult choice. My top three are:

Movement - for its beauty
The Cartographer Wasps and the Anarchist Bees - for its creativity and tone
The Axiom of Choice - for its cleverness in theme and presentation

If pressed, I guess I would have to choose The Axiom of Choice. This was the story that struck me hardest and left me thinking about it, and the ideas it presented, long after I had finished.

As for guessing which will win, I don't know. My tastes so rarely match up with that of others. I will be content, however, if any of the three I mention win. :)

message 9: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Shel (shel99) | 2237 comments Mod
The Axiom of Choice and Movement are my two favorites. It'll be interesting to see what happens...

message 10: by Ric (new)

Ric (ricaustria) | 28 comments I've only read “The Cartographer Wasps and the Anarchist Bees” but was impressed with its elegant, unhurried style. Like a story a parent would tell to a child over a period of days and weeks.

message 11: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments So... The awards ceremonies are this weekend. Any other predictions?

I'm rooting for Ken Liu.

Have a great time, Sarah Pi!

message 12: by Nikita (new)

Nikita (nikita42) Candiss wrote: "So... The awards ceremonies are this weekend. Any other predictions?

I'm rooting for Ken Liu.

Have a great time, Sarah Pi!"

I think I am too. That story really touched me. Just thinking about it makes me a little teary eyed, but then I'm a mom and can completely empathize.

message 13: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments And we have our winner! The winners were just announced, and Ken Liu's "The Paper Menagerie" did indeed win.

message 14: by Maggie (new)

Maggie K | 298 comments I kind of thought Axiom of CHoice would win....I like this one a lot though

message 15: by Helen (new)

Helen I only read two the hands and the paper menagerie. That was really lovely.

message 16: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 132 comments I'm glad the Paper Menagerie won. I thought it was beautifully written.

message 17: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 971 comments It appears we have a fairly consistent appreciation of the winning story. And that includes my own. Even though it was not my favorite on the list, it still ws quite moving.