ONTD Book Club discussion

Ready Player One (Ready Player One, #1)
This topic is about Ready Player One
Fiction > March- Ready Player One by Ernest Cline- Spoiler Free

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tea (quietcoastline) | 106 comments Is it March already? This month we'll be reading Ready Player One! I hope it lives up to everyone's expectations!

Have at it!

Megan (bookbrats) | 125 comments Mod
Started on this the other day, but not far into it. Trudging through Partials right now gah.

James Wow! Is it March? I have the book downloaded to Kindle, but haven't started yet. The summary sounds fabulous though, and I'm really looking forward to it.

message 4: by Tea (last edited Mar 03, 2012 02:35AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tea (quietcoastline) | 106 comments I've started it and it's interesting to me, but I'm not sure I like it yet. I'm curious to see how this concept fills an entire book.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Oops, forgot it was March. Better get to reading!

Megan (bookbrats) | 125 comments Mod
So finished this in two days. LOL, I really enjoyed it, even if I did have a few small issues with it. Off to the spoiler thread!

message 7: by Tea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tea (quietcoastline) | 106 comments I'm almost finished! I'll be heading over to the spoiler thread tonight! I'm pleasantly surprised by how much I'm enjoying it, but I think however it ends is really what's going to do it for me.

Julia Can't stop reading it! I didn't expect to like it this much.

Stephanie (stephyblue) | 23 comments I haven't even started it yet, and it was my suggestion! I'm just stuck on A Game of Thrones right now, I can't wait to finish it and start this to be able to discuss in the spoiler thread.

Michelle | 45 comments I'm stalling on this book. My biggest problem is his view of the 1980s. It's very white and male. I know all the authors listed, but they're all white guys. No Samuel Delany, Octavia Butler, James Tiptree Jr, Anne McCafferty, or even Lois McMaster Bujold. The first TV show mentioned was Family Ties and not the Cosbys. He mentions music genres of the 1980s, but no rap or hip-hop yet. My kingdom for a Whitney Houston or Michael Jackson reference! Run-DMC I assume is out of the question.

To compensate, I've made Halliday half-Asian and the lead character Native American in my head (he's from Oklahoma!).

Does the author get any better at race or will I have to graft my own stuff in mentally.

James I don't think he gets *great* on race, but he gets better.

message 12: by Z (new) - rated it 3 stars

Z (ladybellatrix) Wow I feel like I've been hit by a wall of geek references.