Indonesians Who Love English Books discussion

Specific Book / Author / Genre > The Fault in Our Stars - John Green

Comments Showing 1-50 of 75 (75 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Reza, The Curator (new)

Reza | 467 comments Mod
March is here, and from the result of the poll, this months group read would be:
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
The Fault in Our Stars - John Green

Feel free to discuss the book thoroughly here and thus, spoilers are expected. So there's your warning ;)

Happy reading :)

message 2: by Reza, The Curator (last edited Mar 01, 2012 08:42AM) (new)

Reza | 467 comments Mod
I'm a couple chapters in. Enjoyed their meet-cute. Green managed to bring a few smiles out of me, and some snorts, too. Enjoying it so far.

message 3: by Lynossa, Resident Connoisseur (last edited Mar 01, 2012 08:29AM) (new)

Lynossa | 485 comments Mod
Yeah, that's one thing about Green. His characters are cute (especially if you're older than them) and funny in their own way.
I really like this book although it's not my favorite Green's.

message 4: by Reza, The Curator (new)

Reza | 467 comments Mod
Okay, I'm almost at (what I'm assuming is) the end of Act 1. (view spoiler) Ok, here we go.

message 5: by Reza, The Curator (last edited Mar 03, 2012 06:39PM) (new)

Reza | 467 comments Mod
Just finished the book. I'm abit overwhelmed right now and I prefer to sleep on it before write a review or something.
But for what it's worth, it is a great read, really. So if u are still unsure, I say grab a copy and join the group read!

message 6: by Jati, Chief Dragon Herder (new)

Jati Indrapramasto | 184 comments Mod
hell, i still havent gotten myself a copy yet. should be soon though. where'd you get yours from reza?

message 7: by Lynossa, Resident Connoisseur (last edited Mar 04, 2012 08:52AM) (new)

Reza wrote: "Just finished the book. I'm abit overwhelmed right now and I prefer to sleep on it before write a review or something."

I kinda felt the same way too when I finished it. I like the last page a lot (view spoiler). It's a fast reading but it gets you right in the heart if you get what I mean.

message 8: by Rindya (new)

Rindya | 45 comments I'm almost done, it's good but like Lynossa said, it's not my favorite. Will Grayson, Will Grayson is my number one of Green's book. Talking about cancer, Drums, Girls & Dangerous Pie by Jordan Sonnenblick is better than Green's TFiOS

message 9: by Lynossa, Resident Connoisseur (new)

One thing that I like the most about Green is the words I can quote (I'm a quote maniac, you see) and this one is my favorite from TFiOS:

“What a slut time is. She screws everybody.”

message 10: by Reza, The Curator (last edited Mar 04, 2012 10:07PM) (new)

Reza | 467 comments Mod
^definitely. I tweeted that the moment I read it.

Jati wrote: "hell, i still havent gotten myself a copy yet. should be soon though. where'd you get yours from reza?"
Amazon. Onto my kindle.

message 11: by Rindya (new)

Rindya | 45 comments Or from Kobo

message 12: by Sheva (last edited Mar 06, 2012 06:16AM) (new)

Sheva (kepikbadut) | 72 comments Is it already available in Kinokuniya or Periplus? I never read any books from John Green, and I have planned to read a copy of his works, so this book discussion is such a good timing for me to have a copy . I wonder if I could order the book from bookdepository.com but my first purchase takes a month until the books arrived LOL.

message 13: by Asfarian (new)

Asfarian | 20 comments Sheva wrote: "Is it already available in Kinokuniya or Periplus? I never read any books from John Green, and I have planned to read a copy of his works, so this book discussion is such a good timing for me to ha..."
It is worldwide shipping. At least the package is arrive :)

This book is already on my e-reader since last month. Sadly, I still unable to read it :(.

message 14: by Ellen (new)

Ellen Isabella (el_len7887) | 18 comments I read this book last month and wrote a review of it already but I'll wait for all of you to discuss it. Hope that I'll still remember the details, hehe... Good luck with the reading everyone!!

message 15: by Oon (new)

Oon (oonisme) | 132 comments "I bet you say that to all the boys who finance your international travel" and "Sentence to corpse ratio of 1:1" are enough for me to like this book :D

For all who want to get a copy, there are some at periplus plaza senayan.

message 16: by Rachel, First Lady (new)

Rachel (rachelhadeli) | 698 comments Mod
For those who have not gotten the book, good news, because Periplus just stocked them, and they're relatively cheaper than the copies at Kinokuniya and Aksara.

And I just finished it, and oh my goodness, I'm still in tears. This is my first Green, and I am not disappointed. Not even a little bit. I loved everything; their dialogue, the writing, the story, the humour. So many great lines, I'm overwhelmed. I really love the ending, but then again, I love everything about it.

message 17: by Lynossa, Resident Connoisseur (new)

Green's power is in the way he arranges all those words. That's why my quotes collections filled with his, lol.

message 18: by Reza, The Curator (last edited Mar 18, 2012 11:32AM) (new)

Reza | 467 comments Mod
I'd love to have friends who think and speak like Green's characters. What a conversation we would have!

Edit: Now that I think of it, I do have friends like that. Ha.

message 19: by Rachel, First Lady (new)

What's your favourite bit in the book guys?

message 20: by Lynossa, Resident Connoisseur (last edited Mar 18, 2012 06:35PM) (new)

@Rachel, the last part. Awesome and sad at the same time.

@Reza, introduce me to your friend!

message 21: by Rachel, First Lady (new)

I do, Augustus.
I do.

My heart breaks everytime I think about it. Bloody hell. I'm too much of a softie.

message 22: by Lynossa, Resident Connoisseur (last edited Mar 18, 2012 06:59PM) (new)

@Rachel, it breaks my heart too! I'm weak for this kind of thing.

"You don't get to choose if you get hurt in this world, but you do have some say in who hurts you. I like my choices."

message 23: by Reza, The Curator (last edited Mar 18, 2012 09:14PM) (new)

Reza | 467 comments Mod
@Rachel When Isaac's lil brother yelled "kill myself!" or something like that (Ha!). When Augustus' father thanked/hugged Hazel for her inappropriate comic relief among Augustus' sisters cringe-inducing 'encouragements'. Augustus' eulogy 'review'. All the philosophical talk, though at times seems abit pretentious.

message 24: by Rachel, First Lady (new)

Well in retrospect, Augustus and Hazel are pretty pretentious, don't you think?

Ugh, I love them to pieces though.

message 25: by Reza, The Curator (last edited Mar 18, 2012 10:37PM) (new)

Reza | 467 comments Mod
Well see, I don't think so. It's who they really are. Why would they act pretentious when they are dying? And when their parents and loved ones love them as they are? We might see them as pretentious but it was never an act.

I was talking about Green. He wrote these 2 characters who don't give a damn and mock all of the pretentiousness in the world. BUT, something in his writing made me look at this very act as pretentious in itself. Granted, this book is only my first of Green's, so I might have to check his other works.

edit: Sorry, am I making sense at all? lol

message 26: by Rachel, First Lady (last edited Mar 18, 2012 10:51PM) (new)

I agree it's who they are BUT it's a bit 'high-horse' for me personally. They're not acting pretentious, they are who they are afterall, it's just that who they are comes off as slightly pretentious, but without meaning to.

Hmm, now it seems like I'm the one not making sense. loll.

EDIT: I'm probably in the minority, haha.

message 27: by Lynossa, Resident Connoisseur (new)

I think most of his characters are, perhaps not pretentious but a bit 'high-horse' as you said. They laugh at and mock what people like to do but not in cruel way. They also mock themselves, as far as I remember.
However from all Green's books I've read (three so far) TFIOS got the most 'near pretentious' characters.

message 28: by christokristo (last edited Mar 18, 2012 11:23PM) (new)

christokristo (kristoo) | 22 comments maybe pretentiousness is a side effect of dying

message 29: by Reza, The Curator (last edited Mar 18, 2012 11:25PM) (new)

Reza | 467 comments Mod
@Rachel: Hey now, minority rocks. And what a group read would be without a little "agree-to-disagree' thing right? ;)

Anyway, in the early chapters Green doesnt seem to be doing a great job pulling off teenager-philosopher thing. I might need to read again to confirm this, but AFAIR Hazel gave a pretty 'up-there' speech about Gus's fear of oblivion. Then, I definitely thought it was super pretentious. Not until few chapters later when I've known them better did I accept them as who they really are.

message 30: by Reza, The Curator (last edited Mar 18, 2012 11:28PM) (new)

Reza | 467 comments Mod
christokristo wrote: "maybe pretentiousness is a side effect of dying"

Ha! Eeeexact-ley.

edit: Cmon, now, chime in. What do u think, christokristo?

message 31: by Ellen (new)

Ellen Isabella (el_len7887) | 18 comments The book discussion is starting already? Or will we still wait for the others to finish reading the book?

message 32: by christokristo (new)

christokristo (kristoo) | 22 comments Reza wrote: "christokristo wrote: "maybe pretentiousness is a side effect of dying"

Ha! Eeeexact-ley.

edit: Cmon, now, chime in. What do u think, christokristo?"

well, yes Augustus and Hazel are quite pretentions but maybe it is because they are diagnosed having cancer in such early age and often get privileges such as cancer perks etc... does that make sense?

message 33: by christokristo (new)

christokristo (kristoo) | 22 comments This is my first Green's book and I really love it, and makes me want to read his other works. The story's so poignant and touching

message 34: by Oon (new)

Oon (oonisme) | 132 comments I agree that maybe having cancer at such a young age would give you different perspective about life and anything. I feel that there are so much honesty in this book. But I have the feeling that at some point the three of them seemed to be a little wiser than they should have.

I thought that being a teenager supposed to be about asking all the questions and not having much of an answer that's how I was at their age. (Not so long ago, though, I'm still young). But in this book they seemed to have a good answer, even for some existensial musing. I love the characters, I really like them. But then, they are a liitle too good.

Or, maybe it's just because I don't have the same experience with them Thankfully, reading this book give me so much insights to the feelings of those who have such disease like cancer or tumor. With this book I can understand their feeling.

message 35: by Reza, The Curator (new)

Reza | 467 comments Mod
I read this somewhere: Cherish moments like you're gonna die tomorrow, but pursue life like you're gonna live forever.

message 36: by Rachel, First Lady (new)

@Ellen: The discussion has started, Ellen. We didn't really set a time for when it was going to start officialy. Since people have different reading speeds, anyone can just join in whenever they have finished. That is why I've stayed away from this thread until now. I just finished the book a couple of days ago :)

I am like @ChristoKristo, this is my first Green and I loveee it. I will start hunting for more of his work.

And I agree with @Oon; the characters are a little too good, a bit too wise beyond their years.

message 37: by Lynossa, Resident Connoisseur (last edited Mar 19, 2012 11:56PM) (new)

Perhaps because of their condition. Standing with one feet close to the grave makes you care less about things that normal people would care more. As return, you might pay more attention to things that normal people don't. Death has its way to make people become wiser I guess.

@Rachel, you want to borrow my copy? I have almost all John Green's.

message 38: by Reza, The Curator (new)

Reza | 467 comments Mod
Lynossa wrote: "Perhaps because of their condition. Standing with one feet close to the grave makes you care less about things that normal people would care more. As return, you might pay more attention to things ..."

Yea that's my thinking as well.

message 39: by Rachel, First Lady (new)

Oh I totally agree with Lynossa too, I just find it a tad too ... 'high'. Oh well, haha. Love the book to bits though.

Yes, Lynossa, Please let me borrow!

message 40: by Ellen (new)

Ellen Isabella (el_len7887) | 18 comments Like most of you, this is also my first Green's book and well, it wasn't so hard to fall in love with his writing.I liked his smart writing style, the premise of the story and for sure the lovely characters. Reading this book gave me such an emotional experience. I have read some books about cancer but this one seemed so different. And yes, somehow I thought the characters were way too wise but who knows that cancer could have the ability to make someone GROWS instead of dying.

message 41: by Rachel, First Lady (new)

I totally get what Ellen is saying about having read several cancer books, but this one just seemed really different. This is a very special little book. Dare I use the word magical?

message 42: by Aini (new)

Aini (ainiannapurna) | 4 comments I finished this book awhile ago but I've only had time to post about it.

This is the first John Green book I ever read, and I have to say I was not disappointed. I love Hazel and Augustus and the chemistry between the two of them. John Green managed to make Hazel, Augustus and all the adult characters seem like real humans and have some emotional depth to them.

Aand I guess I agree that sometimes the conversation between Hazel and Augustus was a bit too perfect for their age.

Still, this book had me sobbing really, really hard. It's hard not to sympathize with these kids.

message 43: by Reza, The Curator (new)

Reza | 467 comments Mod
I'm seeing huge TFiOS ad on Goodreads top banner today. Probably just the ad algorithm picking the group history, unless u guys saw it too.

message 44: by Coqueline (new)

Coqueline | 264 comments I'm seeing it too.

message 45: by Rachel, First Lady (new)

I'm seeing it too!

message 46: by Lynossa, Resident Connoisseur (new)

I probably the one one who didn't see it because I use adblock and noscript, lol. What is the banner's content?

message 47: by Reza, The Curator (new)

Reza | 467 comments Mod
just a normal ad with some endorsements like 'Damn Near Genius'. but the signature cerulean color from the cover is very striking.

message 48: by Sheva (new)

Sheva (kepikbadut) | 72 comments hey everyone... I got a story to be finished , and there's a part about a discussion in a book club.. May I use your comments (all of you) for my story? Cause I'm thinking it's a good book, based on people's review, and you guys have different perspectives about The Fault in Our Stars.. hehe..

Please? *wink wink wink wink wink*

message 49: by Lynossa, Resident Connoisseur (new)

no probs for me. By all means.

message 50: by Sheva (new)

Sheva (kepikbadut) | 72 comments Lynossa wrote: "no probs for me. By all means."

Thank you, Lynossa :)

« previous 1