The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1) The Lightning Thief discussion

Does anybody else think this fandom is terrible?

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Ivana Don't get me wrong, PJO is one of my absolute favorites, I love the series, but I honestly don't get the fandom. You have to hate Piper, you have to love Luke, you have to ship "Percabeth", you have to love Reyna.... I don't get it. It's like, if you don't follow those rules, you're not a real fan.

Xenon NO!
I love Percy Jackson. The books are so funny.

Michael There is now rules! what are you talking about?!

Ivana Xenon wrote: "NO!
I love Percy Jackson. The books are so funny."

Did you even read what I said? I never said the books were terrible, I said the fandom is terrible.

Ivana Michael wrote: "There is now rules! what are you talking about?!"

Wherever I go, whatever I say about the characters, or a relationship, or some moment in the books, I'm constantly being judged. It's kind of weird, like if I like Piper, I am SOOOOO wrong. How could I even say it out loud????

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

There are narrow-minded people in every fandom. It just works that way. If people are telling you that you aren't a real fan, tell them to worry about their own likes and dislikes and stop doubting yours.

Cabin16 - Nemesis I have to agree with Maxy. Everyone has their own opinions and likes but they try to convince others to think like they do. Just don't give in to these people. That's what I do.

message 8: by Mo (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mo I get what you're saying Ivana and I share your frustration. Ignore the fanatics and enjoy your reading. There is plenty of drama on the page, no need to indulge in real life!

Neal Simmons Probably 95% of it comes from the age group that is recommended for this series. You get a bunch of teens or preteens with unlimited access to internet chat, and you often get that.

Jimmy You dont HAVE to like or dislike anything. What you take from a book is not what other people will take from it. Everyone thinks differently. You are going to encounter people who are just self-absorbed jerks who think their opinion is the best and you should think exactly like them. Just ignore those people. Like what you like and don't like what you don't like. And about not being a fan, thats is literally the dumbset thing I've heard. How can someone tell you your not a fan. Arent you supposed to decide that? Being a fan means you like the book and characters right? It doesnt mean you have to like ALL the characters. As long as you like one character you are still a fan. People say your not a true fan because they take what they like about a book and try to make everyone think that way. The last thing I have to say is, you decide if you enjoy this series or not. Don't let others decide for you.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Ivana wrote: "Don't get me wrong, PJO is one of my absolute favorites, I love the series, but I honestly don't get the fandom. You have to hate Piper, you have to love Luke, you have to ship "Percabeth", you hav..."

True say. And yes, I think it has gotten a little out of hand lol

Cookie You grow to love Percabeth just like how you grow to love Harry and Hermoine. You don't always have to like it. BTW...I hate Reyna and love Piper. And I feel sad for Luke.

message 13: by Ruby (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ruby Yep.

message 14: by Sam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sam To be honest, most of the immature regulations of the now Percy Jackson "clique" is coming from the preteens and immature fans. Ignore them. Revel in your maturity, and love the characters. I ship Percabeth, but I also ship Prachel for completely different reasons. I love Reyna, and I love Piper. It is sad that PJ has become known for screechy immature kids, and not as a group of people who appreciate excellent writing. Don't give up on Percy's fans; there are still some good ones out there like you and I :)

message 15: by Serena (last edited Mar 13, 2012 08:47PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Serena Huh. I hadn't been aware of this. Interesting. Is this coming from the fan-fiction part of fandom?

Danica Ivana wrote: I'm constantly being judged. It's kind of weird, like if I like Piper, I am SOOOOO wrong. How could I even say it out loud????

Really? I didn't know I "wasn't supposed to like Piper."

I have to say that I've only read The Lost Hero and the original PJ series, so I'm sure I'm missing why I am supposed to hate her...

But I think generally speaking, books - especially kids books - are written to try to get you to like or dislike characters. The author purposefully (and unconsciously) writes in a way that colors our perception of the characters one way or the other.

On top of that, there is a general moral code that we assume everyone adheres to. If Piper betrays her friends, it is generally assumed to be "bad" and thus we should hate her for being "bad."

- For instance, in Harry Potter, we are supposed to dislike Voldemort because a) the way the author writes about him makes him seem terrible and b) according to the assumedly shared moral code, he is "bad" and we are "supposed to" hate him.

So...I don't know why we are "supposed to" hate Piper (yet), so I can't say much on the subject, but that is probably the fans mob together in their beliefs and bully those who's views are different.

I don't think it's bad that the fans collectively agree on everything - because generally we are "supposed to" given the author's purpose - but it is wrong if they bully others or put them down for believing differently/thinking outside the box.

message 17: by Lena (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lena Michael wrote: "There is now rules! what are you talking about?!"

I'm with you on this one.

message 18: by Lena (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lena Neal wrote: "Probably 95% of it comes from the age group that is recommended for this series. You get a bunch of teens or preteens with unlimited access to internet chat, and you often get that."

HEY!!! I'm a teen, and even I think this is complete rubbish. There is no reason to hate Piper, I don't particularly love Luke, I'm not shipping 'Percabeth' and I don't know enough about Reyna to love her!

Julia I LIKED Piper, okay?!?! I hated Luke, and I'm not really a big fan of Reyna!!

message 20: by Lena (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lena Haha, why do people hate her?

message 22: by Jess (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jess Ivana wrote: "Xenon wrote: "NO!
I love Percy Jackson. The books are so funny."

Did you even read what I said? I never said the books were terrible, I said the fandom is terrible."

I agree with you. I never read the second series, and I don't have extreme emotions about any of them. They were fun books, not super memorable, but still worth the time reading.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Ivana wrote: "Don't get me wrong, PJO is one of my absolute favorites, I love the series, but I honestly don't get the fandom. You have to hate Piper, you have to love Luke, you have to ship "Percabeth", you hav..."
I agree, it's ridiculous.

Darlene I love Piper, dislike Reyna, and prefer Rachel over Annabeth!
Ha, I said it.
Anyways yeah, it can get annoying, but there are much worse book fandoms out there.