James Joyce Reading Group discussion

Dubliners > Araby

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 207 comments Mod
here is a place to discuss ARABY ... is a coming of age story? a story about love? a story about vanity? or is it a story about getting carried away by the lights and stimulus of a fair?

or?

message 2: by Phillip (last edited Feb 29, 2012 10:57PM) (new)

here is a link (that tyas posted in another thread) to a preview of a film based on ARABY. i don't know if it's a full length film or a short, but it has a nice look to it. i've never seen it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3pUH1...

message 3: by Liam (last edited Mar 01, 2012 01:47PM) (new)

Liam Malone (liam316) | 1 comments I'm not assured that we have to limit Araby to one of these. To me Dubliners expands the limits of what were traditional short stories. Life usually doesn't offer such black and white situations, so I don't think Joyce wrote Dubliners to be labeled this is story about A, but a story about AxBxC.

message 4: by Phillip (last edited Mar 04, 2012 09:19AM) (new)

so tell me - what else do you see in the story?

the intention of my post was to stimulate dialogue - not to summarize . we started to talk about this story in the thread on THE DEAD, so i was carrying over something tyas had said.

message 5: by Tyas (new)

Tyas Effendi (tyas_effendi) | 6 comments @Liam
Wow, I like your opinion. I think I could not get the idea of this story because I don`t speak English daily. I just a student of English Department. I tried so hard to understand what does Joyce talk about. Well, yes, I do agree with you. Every story in this book tells AxBxC. They are complicated.