Lush Library discussion

A Discovery of Witches (All Souls, #1)
This topic is about A Discovery of Witches
Past Group Reads > A Discovery of Witches - progress and non spoiler thread

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kirsty (kirkel) | 1160 comments Mod
Who's read it? Who's going to read it?

I've started and I find it difficult to put down. It's one of those guilty pleasure books that make you feel like you should have a box of chocolates handy:)

Sarah  (scheherazade) | 364 comments Mod
I got this in the waterstones sale just after christmas, so I'll definetly be reading along this month :)

message 3: by Alexis (new) - added it

Alexis (dragonflymoon) Just getting it for my Kindle.

I'm a bit stuck at somewhere over 300pages (40%). Who else is reading along?

Sarah  (scheherazade) | 364 comments Mod
I started this afternoon. I'm okay with it so far, but it's kind of made me wish I hadn't given up my PhD place last September.

message 6: by Jo (new) - added it

Jo | 592 comments Mod
I'm going to re-read this to join in with the discussion as The Bone People isn't available yet at the library.

message 7: by Jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jo Prosser | 3 comments I have read this book and despite myself, I couldn't put it down. I was really cross to find out that part two isn't out yet.

Jo wrote: "I have read this book and despite myself, I couldn't put it down. I was really cross to find out that part two isn't out yet."

Hi Jo, I know exactly how you feel, although I haven't finished this one yet, I have started a few series in the past and am always relieved to discover that the next is available or frustrated when it isn't. From what I've read so far (75%) I'm dreading the open ending.

Amina wrote: "I really like the dynamics between the main characters.. I forgot how much till I read 100 pages in one sitting, hehe. I cannot wait for number two."

Start a spoiler thread if you fancy it;)

Stephanie Robinson (ladystephina) | 17 comments Sarah wrote: "I got this in the waterstones sale just after christmas, so I'll definetly be reading along this month :)"

That's when I got my copy too. :)
Only just read the first chapter but am enjoying it so far, particularly all the alchemical references because I studied a module on Alchemy and Hermeticism when I was at uni, so this is taking me back a bit!

message 11: by Jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jo Prosser | 3 comments It reminded me of Twilight for adults with a lot of Buffy and towards the end, a dollop of Charmed.

I didn't want to like it but I really did, damn it.

I am Lavenderblue btw, not some randomer that just walked in. Its the first time I managed to read the same book you folks were!

Jo wrote: "It reminded me of Twilight for adults with a lot of Buffy and towards the end, a dollop of Charmed.

I didn't want to like it but I really did, damn it.

I am Lavenderblue btw, not some randomer ..."

I remember when you joined and I think you missed the 2 Neil Gaiman books:( Have you read any of the old group reads? There are a few more than at the bottom of the group homepage.
What do you like to read? The 'recommendations' feature is a great way to find new reads - feckin enablers;)
Post/start threads wherever you like (if you click on discussions you'll get the full list) and it would be great if you nominate - books you want to read or books you have read and would like to share. It's been a bit quiet :(

message 13: by Jo (new) - added it

Jo | 592 comments Mod
Kirsty wrote: "Who's read it? Who's going to read it?

I've started and I find it difficult to put down. It's one of those guilty pleasure books that make you feel like you should have a box of chocolates handy:)"

You're right, this does feel like a guilty pleasure. Sometimes it's nice to read (or re-read) something that takes no thought, is just an enjoyable easy read

Jo wrote: "Kirsty wrote: "Who's read it? Who's going to read it?

I've started and I find it difficult to put down. It's one of those guilty pleasure books that make you feel like you should have a box of c..."

It does try to be a bit heavier with all the scientific jargon.

message 15: by Alexis (new) - added it

Alexis (dragonflymoon) Struggling to get into it but maybe I just wasn't focussed.

Vicky | 30 comments I've just started this and i'm really enjoying it so far, i'm 6 chapters in and definitely intrigued!

Stephanie Robinson (ladystephina) | 17 comments I've not enjoyed this as much as I thought I would so far. Find there are too many similarities to Twilight, and not in a good way...I find the relationship of the two central characters echoes Twilight, but in this case I find the relationship unbelievable for some reason, I dont think it develops very convincingly. I'm enjoying it a bit more again now that I've got to some action (around 440), but it won't be making it to my list of favoured vampire lore when I finish I don't think!