Science Fiction Aficionados discussion

Dauntless (The Lost Fleet, #1)
This topic is about Dauntless
Monthly Read: Random > March Random Read: Dauntless

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jason (darkfiction) | 422 comments Dauntless, by Jack Campbell, is our read for the month of March. I've been looking forward to reading this one and can't wait to discuss it with you guys.

Dauntless (The Lost Fleet, #1) by Jack Campbell

message 2: by Ben (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ben (bstanley52) I'm really excited about this read. First as it is my first group read with this group. And second, because it has been a while since I dipped into spaceship and fleet scifi. Star Trek/Star Wars were some of the first scifi that got me hooked (the movies, not the books) and I still have a soft spot in my reading heart for space opera, even though I've read disappointingly little of the genre.

I've started already and its proving a quick and compelling read. I like the spin on the protagonist, a man who was made into a legend that returns out of hibernation to take command of the fleet. He'll obviously have to deal with a lag in tech, different fleet "customs", and of course hero-worship. I'm hooked. Anyone else in for this read?

Suzanne | 69 comments I just got the book - haven't started yet, but the description makes it look like a fun read!

Edmond Barrett (edmondbarrett) | 12 comments One semi gripe I always had with this was the start. I would have preferred a glimpse of the battle that made the main character into a legend. But at the same time I can understand why it was left out. You do get the sense of disorientation the character suffers from.

Banner | 138 comments I'm planning on reading this but it maybe a few day while I finish my current books.

message 6: by Megan (new)

Megan Baxter | 277 comments Mod
Apparently none of my city's libraries has this one. I guess I'll be sitting it out. :(

Rory M. Wow! I really enjoyed this book! I'm a big sci-fi fan but only recently realized how limited my exposure has been to reading adult sci-fi novels. That's why I chose to join this group so I could venture beyond just viewing the genre on the screen and read beyond the YA spectrum.

My first experience with the sub genre of space opera was Ender's Game so when I saw Dauntless was classified as such I was psyched to read this book because I love Ender's Game.

Dauntless had me hooked from the first page! I was surprised how much I actually enjoyed the battle scenes and military strategy employed. It was an 'on the edge of your seat' kind of read. I already have have Fearless on reserve at the library!

Enjoy!

Banner | 138 comments Just finished The Forever War as a re-read. I'm in the mood for a good space opera. I'm a little put off that we don't have aliens but about ready to dive in anyway.

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 372 comments I finished this one a while back... Only the number of other books I have coming in from the library has kept me from following up the entire series. Liked them.

Edmond Barrett (edmondbarrett) | 12 comments I did read the whole series and while I did enjoy, I did feel it did stretch the material too thin and would have been better if one book shorter.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I read the first two some time ago, just recently picked up the third book, Courageous. It's good sci-fi, reminiscent of the Honor Harrington series. Maybe I'll re-read Dauntless after I'm done with my current book, as I don't recall a few details.

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 372 comments You know John I came to these after I sort of burned out on Honor Harrington (view spoiler). I (so far) like these much better. The (view spoiler) drives me crazy, but not too badly. LOL

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Mike (the Paladin) wrote: "You know John I came to these after I sort of burned out on Honor Harrington [spoilers removed]. I (so far) like these much better. The [spoilers removed] drives me crazy, but not too badly. LOL"

Funny that you mention that, I got burnt out on Honor Harrington as well. I got half-way through the fifth book and just couldn’t go on. At some point I will start that one again. My comparison is aimed at the combat in both series, they both have exciting battles.

message 14: by Leah (new) - rated it 3 stars

Leah | 14 comments Started reading this one today- liking it so far!

Jason (darkfiction) | 422 comments I'll be starting in a few days. Trying to finish off The Fall of Hyperion first.

Barry Kirwan I read Dauntless a few months ago, loved it, it was hard to put down. The protagonist (Black Jack Geary) is a highly sympathetic character, and the author is ex-Navy, which shows in the technical aspects. The reason I read it, actually, was that I wanted to read large-scale battle scenes, and he makes great use of temporal effects of near-lightspeed travel as a strategy in such battles (which I'd not seen before). I agree with Edmond above, that it was stretched out a little, particularly the last battle scene. I'd give it 4-5 stars as it was still a terrific read, but I wouldn't necessarily read the rest of the series, because I reckon it would be more of the same.

message 17: by Ben (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ben (bstanley52) I just finished and I must say that I was a fun ride. I agree with Barry that the large-scale battles that take into account time-late communications and strategy were a lot of fun and really added to the believability. I will definitely be continuing this series.

Banner | 138 comments I also just finished and I also will be continuing the series. He does a good job with the battle scenes. Just how many ships do they have in the fleet anyway?

Edmond Barrett (edmondbarrett) | 12 comments A lot, later books give pretty much a complete order of battle, although what the heck a scout battleship is I don't know.

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 372 comments I assume (and you know what they say about that) it's a lighter faster version of a battleship...

message 21: by Leah (new) - rated it 3 stars

Leah | 14 comments Finished this one yesterday- liked it but I thought it was a little dull. I've never read any military sci-fi before so I don't have anything to compare it to but I wish there was a bit more character depth or plot.
The last chapter, however, introduces more plots for future books (I'm assuming) which sound more interesting and I'm not sure if it is just because it is the first book and things are getting set up but there was no wow-factor in it for me.

message 22: by Jaime (new)

Jaime | 61 comments Mike (the Paladin) wrote: "I assume (and you know what they say about that) it's a lighter faster version of a battleship..."

I haven't read DAUNTLESS, but the concept of "a lighter faster version of a battleship" gave rise to one of the greatest moments of British stiff-upper-lip understatement during the Battle of Jutland 1916: "Chatfield, there seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today."
So said Admiral Beatty to his flag captain, after two of his battlecruisers blew up in rapid succession after being hit by German gunfire.

Edmond Barrett (edmondbarrett) | 12 comments Maybe more like the starship equivalent of a German pocket battleship or Large Heavy Cruiser (like the American Alaska class)

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 372 comments In this series there isn't the stature in commanding a battleship that there has been in our blue water navies. The prestige here goes to the commanders of the ships that can "lead the charge". It's one of the things Geary has to overcome in the fleet. I don't recall all the differences (if Campbell [Hemry] ever spelled all of them out) but the Cruiser commanders hold the prestigious positions.

The fleet is very "gung ho" sort of a "D**n the torpedoes, full speed ahead" mentality.

Edmond Barrett (edmondbarrett) | 12 comments Not to mention a 'last one to die pointlessly is wuss!' mentality

message 26: by Laz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Laz the Sailor (laz7) It was pretty good. I did think that the space battles were somewhat "generic" with the multiple ship sizes closely mirroring 20th century sea navies. I'd mark it as better than Honor Harrington, but not as good as Kris Longknife.

Suzanne | 69 comments I enjoyed the book quite a bit! I think the thing I appreciated most is the way Campbell integrated the military technology, system, world, etc. into the plot. Unlike some of those who commented above, I like Honor Harrington; however, I liked the way the tech blended with the story much more in Dauntless - the pages of info dumps in the Harrington books annoy me.

message 28: by Pat () (last edited Mar 26, 2012 02:39PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pat () Bought the first and about halfway through I bought the rest of the series. Yes I enjoyed them that much. I read them one after the other. Then I bought and read the first of the new series and read it also. Got to wait for the next one now. Taking a break to read technothriller now.

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 372 comments I've been getting them on Audible...no waiting. LOL

Stuart Brandwood (royalbluestuey) | 2 comments Only just started so am not really reading this thread too closely for fear of spoilers but glad it seems to be broadly positive

George (wegason) | 33 comments I read this a while back, loved it, bought the rest of the series half way through and have purchased and read the two books that sort of continue this series afterwards. (Books 7 and 8 of the Lost Fleet series).