Who's Your Author? discussion

Archives - '11 - '12 > Working Stiff - Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments This thread is for the discussion of:
Working Stiff by Rachel Caine Working Stiff (Revivalist, #1) by Rachel Caine

message 2: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4054 comments As this one seems to have mixed reviews I am waiting for the library on this one.

Out of curiosity has anyone read it and loved it or hated it?

message 3: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 3121 comments This book does seem to be polarized, people either seem to love it or can't finish it.

I find this author to be hit or miss for me. I love her Morganville Vampire series, but the others not so much. When I saw that she had a new series coming out I wondered how this book would fall. Sad to say that it fell in the not so much category.

I liked Bryn, thought her new job and her situation could bring a lot to the story. But it couldn't over come my dislike of Fairview or Fast Freddie, I wasn't sure what to think of Joe. When I realized what was going on with the book I quickly lost interest as it seemed far fetched. In the end this one just wasn't for me.

message 4: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4054 comments Well I finally got this one from the library today. I will read it in the next few days. Sucks I could not actually read it during the month but oh well!

message 5: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 823 comments I was weak and just bought this book the other night when I was in the bookstore with a friend.

message 6: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4054 comments I finished it last night and it was damn depressing.
(view spoiler)

message 7: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 823 comments I haven't read it yet. In fact, it is still in the bookstore bag. "I will refrain from clicking spoiler." "I will refrain from clicking spoiler." "I will refrain from clicking spoiler."

message 8: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 823 comments I haven't read anything by this author before. I'm wondering if I should have picked something else to start with. (Of course I clicke on the spoiler!) **sigh**

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Rachel Caine does the Morganville Vampire series, which is young adult. She also does a couple of other series which I haven't read. I personally really like the Morganville Vampires, even though I'm decades past the YA age. But then, I really liked the Working Stiff book, so maybe anything I recommend should be taken with a grain of salt ;D Of course, I liked her "Red Letter Days" series too, and you don't hear many people talk about it. In fact there are two characters in Working Stiff from the Red Letter Days series.

message 10: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 3121 comments I don't think this book is a good one to judge this author. I know she has gotten really bad feedback with it.

I have tried all of this author's series, but the Morganville one is the only that I like. They are quick easy reads with a unique setting for the vamps.

message 11: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4054 comments I did not think the book was bad just sad and in part that is because it is realistic. I would not want to say more because that could kind of spoil it.

So far I like her stuff, Weather Warden and Morganville vamps.

I have never read Red Letter Days so I will look for that one.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

@Dawn - There are only two books in the Red Letter Days series, "Devil's Bargain" and "Devil's Due" - I know they are out as eBooks because that is how I have mine.

message 13: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 823 comments Thanks, Duane! I may try her Morganville Vampires. I've stayed away from it b/c it is YA, but I've been reading more and more of that genre due to "buddy reads" and find I'm enjoying them. Maybe that is b/c the ones choosen are the creme of the crop. I don't know. **shrugs**

message 14: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 823 comments Darcy wrote: "I have tried all of this author's series, but the Morganville one is the only that I like. They are quick easy reads with a unique setting for the vamps."

Hmmm... I like the "unique setting" comment. I'm more intrigued now, Darcy.

message 15: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 3121 comments I will say that if you do read the Morganville ones, for the first half dozen or so, have the next book ready to go. The endings are cliff hangers.

message 16: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 823 comments Dawn wrote: "I did not think the book was bad just sad and in part that is because it is realistic."

I just lost my ex-husband within the last month, and we were still very close. So, I think I'll avoid sad. Thanks for your input, Dawn. I have the Weather Warden series lined up to listen to on audio.

message 17: by Midu (new)

Midu Hadi | 589 comments So sorry to hear that,LK! Lemme know if I can be of any help.

message 18: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4054 comments Duane wrote: "@Dawn - There are only two books in the Red Letter Days series, "Devil's Bargain" and "Devil's Due" - I know they are out as eBooks because that is how I have mine."

Thanks Duane the first one was only $3.44 on kindle.

message 19: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4054 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "Dawn wrote: "I did not think the book was bad just sad and in part that is because it is realistic."

I just lost my ex-husband within the last month, and we were still very close. So, I think I'l..."

I am so sorry to hear that Lisa Kay.
I have been meaning to read the second book in the Weather Warden series, Heat Stroke, let me know when you get to it perhaps we can read it as a buddy read.

message 20: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 823 comments Midu wrote: "So sorry to hear that,LK! Lemme know if I can be of any help."

Thanks, Midu. Sweet of you. You've done your part by making me laugh. ☺

message 21: by Midu (new)

Midu Hadi | 589 comments Yaaay me hehe