readers advisory for all discussion

so ask already!!! > recomendations please

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (vix82) | 6 comments "Hi I'm a newbie on here, I recently read a book called 'last dance with Valentino' by daisy Waugh, I absolutely loved it & wondered if anyone could recommend other books like it? I love that era!"

message 2: by Meredith (new)

Meredith Holley (meredithholley) | 194 comments Could you say a little bit about what you liked about the book? I looked it up, but the book page didn't have a lot of information.

message 3: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (vix82) | 6 comments It's a romance set in the 20's, it's a fiction about rudolph Valentino who was a silent movie star. I was just wondering if anyone knew of any books set in this era

message 4: by Meredith (new)

Meredith Holley (meredithholley) | 194 comments Oh, have you read The Great Gatsby? Or would you rather something written now and set then?

message 5: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (vix82) | 6 comments No I haven't read that, I don't mind when it's written. Thank you

message 6: by Claire (new)

Claire (clairelynn) | 30 comments There's a chick lit novel called Twenties Girl where there's a ghost from the Twenties. It's a cute fluffy read. Set in current times though.

message 7: by karen, future RA queen (new)

karen (karenbrissette) | 1315 comments Mod
does it have to be a romance? i think that's where i am having difficulty. is it the time period you like best, or the famous-character element, or the romance? or something altogether different?

message 8: by Meredith (new)

Meredith Holley (meredithholley) | 194 comments karen wrote: "does it have to be a romance? i think that's where i am having difficulty. is it the time period you like best, or the famous-character element, or the romance? or something altogether different?"

Ooo, thank you for asking this. I was wondering as well. I started to go off on my Hemingway/Cather rant, but then I realized neither of them have the celebrity element, so I wasn't sure.

message 9: by karen, future RA queen (new)

well, because i have a few ideas, but they are maybe a little bit later in time and don't really include romantic elements; the ones i can think of specifically about the twenties aren't romantic at all... there is Loving Frank, which involves romance and a "famous" lead character, but it is a little earlier than the 20's. not much earlier, though...

message 10: by Meredith (last edited Mar 01, 2012 08:01AM) (new)

Meredith Holley (meredithholley) | 194 comments Yeah, I was thinking of books from a little later, too. Like, Lauren Bacall's memoir is supposed to be great, and I really loved Lana Turner's memoir Lana: the Lady the Legend the Truth because wow! What a title, amiright? Anyway, Lana Turner was loony tunes, but the book has loads of celebrity gossip as I recall. But, I do love memoirs, and I will admit that not everyone does.

message 11: by karen, future RA queen (new)

hemingway would probably be good, though, for muscular romance.

message 12: by Meredith (new)

Meredith Holley (meredithholley) | 194 comments Yeah, A Farewell to Arms is good for romance, but it is set in war, so it is not very glamorous. [Book:Sun Also Rises] is good for dissipation, but not as good for romance.

message 13: by Meredith (new)

Meredith Holley (meredithholley) | 194 comments I was even thinking Woolf. What do you think about that? But, even though she is a '20s gal, I do not think that is what people read her for.

message 14: by karen, future RA queen (new)

it depends - she is so heady and densely woven.

vicky - what do you like as far as pacing or writing-density? do you want something that is fast-paced and full of action, or something that is more meditative?

this is why we use our appeal factors to help make better matches!!

message 15: by Meredith (new)

Meredith Holley (meredithholley) | 194 comments Yay for appeal factors! Where is the thread where you explain them?

message 16: by karen, future RA queen (new)

message 17: by Carrie (new)

Carrie | 6 comments Vicky wrote: "It's a romance set in the 20's, it's a fiction about rudolph Valentino who was a silent movie star. I was just wondering if anyone knew of any books set in this era"

Clive Barker's "Coldheart Canyon: A Hollywood Ghost Story" might appeal to you. It's not exactly set in that era, but it does have ghosts from that era.

message 18: by Tuck (new)

Tuck | 184 comments this novel is set in hollywood, pre-talkies, not your typical romance, but lots of romance in it. very touching and atypical story The Age of Dreaming