We Read Indie Books RG2E! discussion

First round of book nominations, March 2012

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Ward (tamaraward) | 80 comments Mod
Hi! We're "leaping" into our first round of book nominations for our first indie book monthly discussion! Nominate a book by replying to this message on Goodreads. So, here goes...

-Nominations are open through March 7.
-If you know of an indie book you'd like to read/discuss, you may nominate 1 book by replying to this message on Goodreads. Please list the book title and author in your response.
-On March 7, I'll take all the nominations and create a poll, and we'll all get the chance to vote on which book we'd like to read. The poll will be open for several days.

About book selection:
-To be considered, the book must be an indie book!
-The book must be available on multiple platforms.
-Since this is our first book nomination, we don't have to worry about this, but at least every other month, we will read a book by an author who is not a member of this group. This month, we'e open to any indie book by any author.

Okay! I'm looking forward to getting some book nominations and hearing back from you. If you have any specific additional book selection ground rules or modifications on rules you'd like to suggest, please also let me know!

Thanks so much for sticking with this group as we get organized. I can't wait to really begin!

message 2: by Lance (new)

Lance (nighthawk1) | 1 comments Great!

How aboutRush

Thanks and have a great day everyone.

message 3: by Gregory (new)

Gregory Carrico (gramico) | 11 comments Huzzah! This is quite exciting.

I have a quick question for clarification. Does the multiple platforms rule mean that it must be available for multiple e-readers, Kindle and Nook, for example, or does it mean that it must be available from multiple vendors, such as Smashwords and Amazon.com? |

Sorry if this a silly question. Me = Noob.

Either way, I read this to mean that we are excluding all Amazon Select (KDPS) books, right, since they would only be available for Kindle apps?

Thanks
Greg

message 4: by Tamara (new)

Hi, Greg. It's not a silly question. Because me = noob, also! I was thinking multiple e-readers... but what do you think? Is that a reasonable/logical request?

message 5: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda (rhondahopkins) | 43 comments I can't wait to get started! I nominate PJ Sharon's ON THIN ICE http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13...

message 6: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda (rhondahopkins) | 43 comments There's always the apps for PC if it isn't available in the format for the e-reader someone has. I don't have one at all yet (Which is why I've entered the RG2E Kindle Fire giveaway every day! LOL), but I have the nook and kindle apps.

message 7: by Meredith (new)

Meredith Bond (merrybond) | 2 comments How about Switched by Diane Burton. It's available at Smashwords and therefore all formats.
Merry

message 8: by Kristine (new)

Kristine Cayne (kristinecayne) | 10 comments I nominate Revenge by Dana Delamar. It's a gritty, sexy romantic suspense.

Of course, I'd also love to nominate my own book Deadly Obsession but that seems a bit forward :D

message 9: by J.J. (new)

J.J. Toner (jjtoner) What criteria are we using for nominations? I could nominate a whole bunch of books that I have found defective for one reason or another (eg crazy saidisms, poor plots, head-hopping etc.) Or are we nominating books that we think are well written / worth reading? I can think of a few that I'm not sure about and would welcome second opinions...

message 10: by J.J. (new)

J.J. Toner (jjtoner) Rhonda wrote: "I can't wait to get started! I nominate PJ Sharon's ON THIN ICE http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13..."

Why this book?

message 11: by Darlene (new)

Darlene Craviotto (DarsBooks) | 8 comments In addition to giving the title of a suggested work, shouldn't we also connect it to a genre?

message 12: by Liz (new)

Liz Matis | 3 comments Because I have no shame I nominate Playing For Keeps by Liz Matis
Playing For Keeps

message 13: by Tamara (new)

Happy Friday!

@J.J. Good question. Right now, we don't really have any criteria, other than the book be an indie book. You can recommend a book you've not yet read but think you'd like to read and discuss, or a book that you've already read and would like to discuss for any reason.

All genres are welcome. And you don't have to recommend any book, if you don't feel compelled. (I've been in a different GR reading group for quite a while and have never nominated a book... but have enjoyed reading and discussing the books.)

After nominations, I'll set up a poll open to all group members, and the book with the most votes is the one we'll read that month. Don't know what we'll do if there's a tie. Pull a name out of a hat?

@Darlene: That's a very good idea, saying which genre it is. I'll see if I can include it as part of this month's poll, and for the next round of nominations, I'll ask folks to include that with their suggestion. Thanks!

message 14: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Street (alicia_street) | 4 comments Mod
I propose that we do have some criteria. We all have limited time and want to spend it reading books that give something back. So please only nominate books where the story sounds compelling or fun and you have reason to believe the author is a good writer.

I also propose that with each nomination we include genre, why we personally want to read the book, and a Goodreads link that lets us check it out.

I also suggest we can nominate more than one book. And I nominate two outside the group for the first month --
The Color of Heaven -Julianne Maclean - women's fiction, sounds to me like a beautifully poignant, heartwarming story
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10...
Moondance (Vampire for Hire) - humorous paranormal mystery, sounds like a fun read
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/77...
(link says paperback, but I have it on kindle)

message 15: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda (rhondahopkins) | 43 comments J.J. wrote: "Rhonda wrote: "I can't wait to get started! I nominate PJ Sharon's ON THIN ICE http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13..."

Why this book?"

I read PJ's first book, HEAVEN IS FOR HEROES, and it was wonderful. I've started ON THIN ICE, but haven't had time to finish it yet as I'm trying to get my own finished. So far, ON THIN ICE, which is a YA, is very good as well.

message 16: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda (rhondahopkins) | 43 comments J.J. wrote: "What criteria are we using for nominations? I could nominate a whole bunch of books that I have found defective for one reason or another (eg crazy saidisms, poor plots, head-hopping etc.) Or are w..."

I certainly don't want to waste my time reading something that isn't any good. I also don't want to trash or listen to anyone else trashing someone else's books. An honest discussion is one thing, but reading something just to talk about how bad it is? Not for me. I'd rather people nominate books they think will be good. :-)

message 17: by J.J. (new)

J.J. Toner (jjtoner) All that sounds good and sensible, so I nominate:

St Patrick's Day Special by me. It's a crime thriller and here's the link: http://amzn.to/ngtPUT

I really could use some constructive feedback and reviews :)

message 18: by Tamara (new)

The poll is open! Go to http://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/62... and vote! Voting ends March 12, and I'll announce the winner March 13. Looks like we have some great book suggestions! Thanks, everyone!

message 19: by Kristine (new)

Kristine Cayne (kristinecayne) | 10 comments Tamara, is it one vote only? Just need to be sure before I start voting :)

message 20: by Tamara (new)

Yes, I think it's one vote only! I've not voted yet so I'm not 100% sure, but I'm fairly certain.

message 21: by Tamara (new)

Okay, it is only one vote, but you can change your vote after you've voted!

message 22: by Kristine (new)

Kristine Cayne (kristinecayne) | 10 comments Thank you for the update, Tamara!