Never Too Old For Y.A. & N.A. Books discussion

Mark of the Princess (The Kingdom Chronicles, #1)
This topic is about Mark of the Princess
Author Interview of the Month > MARCH Interview with B.C. Morin

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sylvia  | 13086 comments Mod
Ok guys here is a real treat for you. We have interviewed the wonderful and fantastic B.C. Morin author of Mark of the Princess for March's author of the month. This is our Sixth Author Interview and it is conducted by one of our moderators. Please read this interview and we hope you will be able to pick up lessons about her experience. Thanks you!!

1. When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

Well, I began writing poetry in High School and even took a creative writing class, so I have always loved writing. In fact, the general idea for Mark of the Princess came to me almost 10 years ago. But it wasn't until a few years ago that I thought, "I would love to make people feel the way I do when I read a book." That amazing feeling you get when you connect with a character or a story line. That "One more chapter" feeling.

2. How long does it take you to write a book?

The initial took me two years. But now that I am more intimately involved with not just the process but the lives of my characters, I would say a year.

3. What do you think makes a great story?

Well written characters, that even if you can't relate to their personality or situation, you still want to know them and see where they go and what they do. Also, (for me anyway) I love action. It doesn't always have to be a battle or something like that but, adventures and journeys both physical and emotional

4. What is your work schedule like when you're writing?

LOL ! It's all over the place, but mostly at night. Once the kids are in bed, I'll put on my headphones, turn up itunes and type until i feel i have nothing left to type that night. (no matter how long it takes) I always have a notebook and pen with me though in case I get any ideas while I am out and about.

5. How do you balance family and writing?

Luckily, I am blessed with a VERY supportive family that is involved in my writing. My kids ask me about the story, and my husband listens and gives feedback when I bounce ideas off of him, and make him listen to what I just wrote at 3:30 in the morning !
We also spend a lot of time together, so when it comes time for mommy to write, no one is left out.

6. Where do you get your information or ideas for your books?

The ideas come from everywhere really. Like when I said that my first general idea came to me 10 years ago, it was when I was at my sister-in-law's renaissance themed sweet 15 and I thought "How cool would it be if the world was magical like this all the time ? When I really sat down to get the story out, I was inspired by all these amazing books that are out there that when you read them, transport you to another world. So I made my own world to escape to. :)

7. What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books?

How attached I became to the characters and their lives.

8. How many books have you written? Which is your favourite?

So far I have only fully written Mark of the Princess, but I have begun Book 2 and put down ideas for book 3 and possibly more. ;)

9. Tell us a bit about The Kingdom Chronicles: Mark of the Princess and what drove you to write this book. Is it a series? If so, how many more are you planning on writing/publishing?

The base idea of Mark of the Princess occurred to me many years ago when I was at my sister-in-law's renaissance themed sweet 15, and I thought that it would be so cool to know of a world that was like that and magical too ... But it wasn't until a couple of years ago that the story kept calling to me and really dove into it. I have planned for it to be a trilogy, but you never know, I might pull a Cassie Clare and write more ;)

10. Do you have a favourite place you love to write?

I usually just sit at my desk, late at night, with my headphones on , and the music turned up !

11. How hard is is to self-publish?

There are only parts of the self-publish process that are hard, like doing your own editing, or finding someone you trust to do it. And above all, the formatting, but even that has gotten easier.

12. What do your family and friends think about your books?

So far they have all loved Mark of the Princess :)

13. What do you like to do when you are not writing?

I LOVE to read and spend time with my family.

14. Do you have any suggestions to help me become a better writer? If so, what are they?

I would suggest having an outline of what you want your story to be. That has helped many a writer. Above all though, I would say never give up, and never convince yourself that you can't think of anything to write. If you are determined to finish a book then sit down and write everyday. Even if it's just one paragraph. It will keep you going.

15. As a child, what did you want to do when you grew up?

Marine Biologist. I love dolphins and I wanted nothing more than to work with them.

16. What are your favourite books and which authors inspire you?

Favorite books : Bible, Harry Potter Series, The Iron Fey Series, The Mortal Instruments Series, The Infernal Devices Series, Halo Series, Fallen Series ... I've got a thing for series books...lol
J.K. Rowling was a huge inspiration to me, I would also count Julie Kagawa, Cassandra Clare and Alexandra Adornetto among authors who inspire me.

17. For an aspiring writer what do you feel are certain do's and don’ts for getting their material published?

Do research the market for your genre and make sure you have a plan to market your book. Don't think that it will all just take off immediately. It takes time, so patience is very necessary.

18. So, what's next for you? Is there something else you plan on writing or doing?

I am currently writing book 2 of The Kingdom Chronicles :)

I LOVE THIS AUTHOR! Not only is she a fantastic storyteller but she is a beautiful person who is most gracious, grateful and loving of all fans and supporter. I am so honoured to call her my friend. I really hope you all take the time to read her book because it's well worth it!

Here is my review:
http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

message 2: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Collier  (kscollierauthor) | 16 comments I love getting to know authors. It has certainly inspired me to check out her book. Thanks.

message 3: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Davis (hannahmdavis) | 2 comments Great interview - loved reading it and will check out Mark of the Princess. :)

message 4: by Katharina (new) - added it

Katharina Gerlach | 88 comments Great interview. I'll check out her book right now (even before I start working on my next novel). BTW, is there a place (forum thread) where authors like me can apply for an interview like this?

Absolutely it's the folder that says Author Interviews :)

message 6: by Ashley (new) - added it

Ashley Mccook (aly3008) | 65 comments Awww, she sounds absolutely lovely! The book sounds like a great read too - definitely going on my TBR list. Thank you :-)

You are all welcome...and B.C. will be so grateful to you all for your kind words :)

message 8: by KaSonndra (new) - added it

KaSonndra Leigh (alestasia) | 16 comments This was a great interview. I wish B.C. great success in her new ventures because she sounds like a girl with a game plan. :-D

message 9: by C. (new)

C. McKenzie (cleemckenzie) Thanks for doing these interviews! It seems many of us are at our desks writing late at night or early in the morning while the rest of the household sleeps. Congratulations to B.C. Morin on her dedication.

message 10: by B.C. (new) - rated it 5 stars

B.C. Morin (bcmorin) | 62 comments WOW!! I am so happy and humbled by all your kind words!! *blushes*
You are all so sweet ! Thank you so much for reading the interview and for your interest in Mark of the Princess !
I can't wait to hear what you all think. :)

message 11: by Tara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tara (taterbeans) | 1066 comments awww i love ya barbie!!!!

message 12: by B.C. (new) - rated it 5 stars

B.C. Morin (bcmorin) | 62 comments I love ya too Tara !!! :) <3

Tessatonks (nellif) | 34 comments wow, I'm not going anywhere without reading this book! Love the interview ;)

message 14: by B.C. (new) - rated it 5 stars

B.C. Morin (bcmorin) | 62 comments Nilufer wrote: "wow, I'm not going anywhere without reading this book! Love the interview ;)"

Thank you so much Nilufer !!! I hope you enjoy it, and I cannot wait to hear what you think :)

message 15: by Sule (new) - added it

Sule | 2 comments I havent read her books yet but i see dedication ill try finding them in stores

message 16: by B.C. (new) - rated it 5 stars

B.C. Morin (bcmorin) | 62 comments Suleyma wrote: "I havent read her books yet but i see dedication ill try finding them in stores"

Hi Suleyma ! It is currently only available on via e-book, but by the end of this week, I will have the paperback available. Thank you for your interest !! :)