Indie Book Club discussion

Marketing > Hmmm. What do you think of this?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by G. (new)

G. Walker | 165 comments Dean Wesley Smith's blog post about e-book prices.
http://www.deanwesleysmith.com/?p=6391

message 2: by B. (new)

B. Throwsnaill (bthrowsnaill) | 208 comments I think those prices might hold up for well-established indies, but I think the less known indies (I call them outies--and count myself among them) still need to fight for readership with $0.99 or free promos.

message 3: by Jeffrey, Lentarian Fire Thrower (new)

Jeffrey Poole (authorjmpoole) | 2287 comments Mod
Indie authors want to get their names out there. Best way to do that is to offer deals, giveaways, and freebies. Try and build up a fan base. No one is mass marketing our books, or are pushing bookstores nationwide to carry our books. It's up to us.

I for one love the giveaways and being able to offer my first book for free. Helps sales of book 2. :)

message 4: by Scott, Fabled Reviewer o' Tales! (new)

Scott (bookblogger) | 1315 comments Mod
Even though I'm a big supporter of Indie books I still hesitate to spend more than 2.99. If I have any doubts I'll skip it I think a .99 intro book is a great way to establish a fan base and then work prices from there. John Hartness and Lindsay Buroker are authors that I found at .99 and now have no hesitation at paying a higher price for, but I understand the hesitancy to only charge .99 when you only have a single book available.

message 5: by Jeffrey, Lentarian Fire Thrower (new)

Jeffrey Poole (authorjmpoole) | 2287 comments Mod
Same here. I have no problems paying more $$$ for a higher priced ebook, but it either has to be for a well-known author or else for an author I've previously read works from that I've been waiting for sequels to.

As an indie author, you're trying to appeal to as many people as possible. If you can get your book into the hands of a new reader, then there's a chance you can pick up another fan. But in order to do that, readers have to be willing to take a chance on you.

To also quote Ms. Buroker, she was the one that recommended putting one of your books up for free so that people can get a taste of your work. Once they are reading your book, then it's up to you to win over the reader so that they'll purchase other books of yours. I'd rather give away a title and boost sales to the sequel than assign a high price for both books and then count myself lucky if I get a couple of sales a month.

The make-a-book-free gimmick has worked wonders for me. I see no reason to change any prices anytime soon, except maybe when book III gets closer to being released. Will have to do something to spark interest.