The Sword and Laser discussion

TV, Movies and Games > Currently playing SWTOR

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christine (new)

Christine (ladysioned) | 32 comments I saw a older topic about SWTOR but it looks like it was started before the game ever came out.

So I am really enjoying this game. Not having to read the quests and getting caught up in the story. I am pretty sure I am going to have to play every class to get the story. How is everyone else enjoying the game so far? Anyone have a favorite class? I have a hard time deciding until I try out all of them which I haven't yet. I am enjoying being a Sith more right now. I am sure once I have leveled all Sith classes I will go back to Jedi. In fact I have a jedi character I have been playing evil 'light' which is kind of fun.

If anyone plays on Vrook Lamar look me up Sith side. 'Sioned', 'Brenlis' and 'Sassinak' Also I am part of the guild with the coolest name ever. You get a gold star if you know what it is from 'Grabthar's Hammer' And here is my shameless plug for our guild :) We are small and growing our website is youshallbeavenged.com if you want a family friendly casual guild you can check us out :) Plug ended.

message 2: by Random (last edited Feb 28, 2012 05:20PM) (new)

Random (rand0m1s) I started playing a few weeks after it came out and I have to say Bioware does a wonderful job. I had really fought this game. Lucas has killed any love I had for Star Wars, but the setting and Bioware created lore has made it so I can really ignore that is this Star Wars franchise.

My current main character (L50 Scoundrel) is still going through story content (and I skipped a number of bonus series/Flash Points/Heroics) and has at least two more planets to go through. I really love this character and she's been a blast to play.

My husband and I have been playing together and the game works exceptionally well for duo teams.

I suspect I'll also end up playing at least one of each major class type since each have their own unique class arcs.

Once my Scoundrel is done, I've got a Sith Assassin sitting in the wings waiting to pair up with my husband's Bounty Hunter. After that, I'm thinking Trooper. We'll see how we feel when we get there. :)

message 3: by Icelord (new)

Icelord | 35 comments I started this game during Early Access in December and I'm really enjoying it as well. Between work and school and other commitments I'm taking my time leveling my main (lvl 43 Imperial Agent).

Like Random and Christine I'm really enjoying the story element that BioWare adds to it. In fact, this game has inspired me to actually go read more of the Expanded Universe lore (via some novels), but I've started with ones that have specific "Old Republic" tie-ins (Deceived, Fatal Alliance, and now Reven).

I'm on Keller's Void and in the Alea Iacta Est Ira guild (an offshoot of the WoW guild Veronica, Tom, Scott Johnson, and bunches of other Frogpants-affiliated podcasters and fans have played in for years). With the 500-player guild cap, AIE has 5 sub-guilds on the Imperial side and 2 sub-guilds on the Republic side at this point. Look for me online as Gallibond Boondoggle if you're ever on our server and say hello.

After my agent reaches max level, I'll probably start leveling up my Bounty Hunter, Chumlee. That's the name I chose when I saw the random generator toss up a Type 4 body and I imagined the guy from Pawn Stars dealing "death from above" across the galaxy.

So has anyone else that is playing SWTOR had their interest in Star Wars "extended" lore piqued so that they started to go out and find some of the novels that have been written over the years?

message 4: by Almira (new)

Almira (Imbre) | 17 comments The die has been cast in anger? hehe.

I too am loving the game, although I am so busy that I've not leveled very far yet. There was a moment, though, where I sat back in my chair and said to my boyfriend, "I'm a jedi..." For those of us who remember the first movie in the theatre (yeah I'm that old), there's something just full of awe and wonder about that. Nobody does gamestory like Bioware :)

message 5: by Nick (last edited Feb 29, 2012 05:37PM) (new)

Nick (whyzen) | 1295 comments Don't rush to 50. Not much to do after that. I've leveled a Sith Inquisitor to 50 to heal with and I've almost stopped playing till they can implement a way to create add-ons. I'm used to a grid'n'clique/Vuhdo type interface playing a shaman healer in WOW and the default interface in swtor is very cumbersome.

I hear improvements to interface are coming but who knows what that means. Could be months.

message 6: by Christine (new)

Christine (ladysioned) | 32 comments I doubt they will ever allow third party mods..just a feeling I get. My husband has stopped playing until they do something with the Legacy system because he hates the thought of earning points he can't do anything with. Which makes sense I guess. I hope they do something soon because I do get lonely without him..might drive me into the arms of one of my companions ;)

message 7: by Jukka (new)

Jukka | 22 comments I gave up yesterday and bought the game after being out-of-wow for almost a year. First impression is definately positive, bounty hunter's storyline feels good and especially the dialog system is lovely.

I'll probably do a lot of the starting storylines first, before levelling any characters into higher levels.

message 8: by Ian (new)

Ian Roberts | 143 comments Am loving this game, all the class stories seem great. Got through most of Bounty Hunter but am also alting Trooper and Inquisitor. Only gripe is lack of LFG system means I am not doing many flashpoints, since I don't have time to hang around in the fleet spamming chat and waiting for a group.....

message 9: by Jason (new)

Jason Bergman (loonyboi) | 166 comments I'm a level 29 Sith Sorcerer, and I'm absolutely loving this game.

I play it mostly solo, but I join up with random groups for heroics. I've only done one Flashpoint so far, and it was kinda cool. Felt like a standard dungeon raid to me.

The game is very, very WoW like, but with a much more solo-friendly vibe that I really appreciate. Plus I love any time it makes nods to the KOTOR games.

message 10: by Skaw (new)

Skaw | 116 comments I've been playing since the late beta and am really enjoying it. I've been going slow on leveling as I don't want to go through the content too quickly. I also have alt issues (I have like 6 characters). I do agree that the LFG system either needs an overhaul or people need to actually use it. Getting a group for a flashpoint is a pain.

I'm on the Space Slug server - because who doesn't want to be on a cool server like that?

message 11: by Mary (new)

Mary (valentinew) | 118 comments My husband & I have been playing since early access as well, although neither of us has had much time to play the past month or so. Last week I managed to get my Jedi up to level 26, & I'm about to take on Tatooine.

I also have an alt problem. I truly love making characters, no matter the game I'm playing. I enjoy figuring out who they are & how 7 why they react the way they do. On Vrook Lamar, I have my Jedi (Indela), my scoundrel (Keiri, who is waiting to pair with my husband's Jedi), a trooper (Elia), and a Sith sorceror (Juura). I also have an Imperial agent & a Bounty hunter on Kathol Rift, but I haven't played on that server since Christmas.

I figured out pretty quickly that trying to level all my lightside characters up at the same rate got boring very quickly. Everyone does the same side quests and the option of being snarky while playing my scoundrel didn't make up for the repetitiveness I was experiencing.

So I created Juura. When I get tired of being a good guy, I switch to her & run around venting my evil nature. One of the most fun things I did had nothing to do with quests at all. (Vrook Lamar is a role-playing server, fyi.) Juura was running around Korriban questing, when I decided to embrace my inner Sith...who is apparently a junior high popular girl, LOL. I posted in the general chat that I judged my fellow Sith by adding "Darth" before each name...and Darth Dwayne failed. Watching everyone else in chat pile on Dwayne for the next ten minutes gave me giggles...and then I had to repent, so switched back to Indela.

I am worried that they haven't made a very big sandbox yet, for all the time it's taken them to get it running. All the quests are pretty linear, but I'm still having a blast and I love that I can solo with my companion into some pretty hairy areas.

Christina, I may have to get Juura into Grabthar's Hammer. That made me laugh!

message 12: by Christine (last edited Mar 02, 2012 11:35PM) (new)

Christine (ladysioned) | 32 comments It is fun to let you evil side out as a Sith. I am most have more fun being a jerky beside and a nice sith :)

We created Grabthar's in Wow because we wanted something that sounded fantasy but also represented our geeky sides. Add me as a friend and I will add you because even if not in my guild it is nice to have friends to play with since we have a small guild.

ChrisFromColumbus (Crtek) | 15 comments I am also an ex WOWer and I have to say that I am really enjoying SWTOR. The reason I quit WOW was that the quests all seemed to be kill X of these creatures and get reward. After 85 levels that really bored me. The storyline in each quest/storyarc was not thrilling enough for me to stay. It always seemed like I was a bit player in the greater events of Azeroth. This is especially true because I was not really able to raid (or get time to gear grind for heroics) to witness the greater story elements.

Right off the bat, each of my characters was special or an elite recruit. The voiced quest givers and dialog options put you in the story and make you feel your choices matter. Some of the dialog options are quite humorous. The individual class quests give your toon an ongoing story that is engaging and "personal". The light side/darkside options let you role play and flush out your character. You always feel like you are making a big difference in the world. All the characters feel quite different to play (yet similar to WOW in some ways). The 2 base Jedi classes play quite different as do the trooper and smuggler. Right now I am leveling all 4 republic base classes to 10 to see what I want to level first.

message 15: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 49 comments I've leveled up to 50 as a Consular and am working on a Smuggler currently. I'm not all that interested in the end game features. I don't do PVP and it's hard for me to find a FP or Raid group to join when I want to play now-now. So I'm back onto WoW.

message 16: by Nick (new)

Nick (whyzen) | 1295 comments @Usako I agree. Just wasn't enjoying the swtor endgame and the UI still needs work. I've canceled my subscription. I've been raiding once a week in WOW even while play swtor. I'm actually looking forward to Diablo III.

message 17: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 49 comments @Nick - The new update should bring about the adjustable UI (you can move sections around, increase/decrease sizing and so forth). I may likely pop on simply to see the new stuff but I'm not sure how long I'll stick around since I don't play the endgame stuff as I'd like.

message 18: by Nick (new)

Nick (whyzen) | 1295 comments @Usako My biggest complaint was the clunky interface for healing which is the role I leveled for as a sith inquisitor and the role I play with my shaman in wow. In wow you can get a really sleek UI experience through add ons that allow you to simply click a frame with a mouse button + modifier and heal. The default setup in swtor requires you to click the operation frame and then press the action button binding thus potentially doubling time it takes to heal.

message 19: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 49 comments @Nick - I've felt that pain with my smuggler healer. My only work-around was to fix my key bindings for next friendly target. The only downside is that targets even the friendly NPCs (not talking the companions). ARG!

message 20: by Esther (new)

Esther | 6 comments I wouldn't usually be sith, but a whole passel of my friends had already rolled empire toons. I gave in & leveled a Bounty Hunter Powertech to 50, and I'm loving it! I have a Sith Sorcerer I've been leveling next. It has been rocking, especially in PVP. I'd gotten really tired of the lack of storyline in WoW, and so far Bioware did a really good job of making sure all of the classes have a compelling background. I've cancelled my WoW account, and now it's SWTOR all the way. I agree there really isn't much endgame content yet, but I'm hopeful for patch 1.2. :)

message 21: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 49 comments I will agree that Bioware has beaten WoW in regards to storyline, but WoW has the dungeon/raid finder which beats SWTOR sitting in the station, shouting on chans. Oh and I think we ALL agree the crafting is so much better but GAWK on the accidental oopsies of spending your credits sending companions on missions.

message 22: by Esther (new)

Esther | 6 comments I actually like that there is no dungeon finder on SWTOR. It may be because I was playing WoW long before they put in that feature, but I find the game much more social without the tool that magically finds a group of random strangers for you. And I haven't had to "shout on the chans" to put together 4 man groups at all. It just forces you to talk to people and find folks whose play style is similar to yours for running groups. Which means I get to run 98% of my instances with folks I've friended and already know. Plus since the group size is smaller, (4, 8, or 16) if you need to pug some people for your EV 16 man it hasn't been that difficult. Much less difficult that putting together an AQ 20 man back in the day, or God forbid, a 40 man. Plus as an added bonus the lack of dungeon finder seems to cut down on the random acts of *ssholery from people who are just out to screw the party by ninja'ing loot or splitting after a certain boss, since individual rep on a server is back to being big.
So um, yeah, I prefer the game without the dungeon finder.

Not to say there aren't glitches with the game. I do like that they finally put in a confirmation screen for turn in gear. Before it was sorry, no returns, no refunds. My companion is wearing some very nice merc boots.

message 23: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 49 comments I admit that chatting on chans does make it more social. I /have/ managed to do Heroic quests that way. And those people I can manage to tag for other quests (sadly not dungeons since they aren't on that often).

But when it came to dungeon finding, it was very difficult for me to gather the right mix of people which has been my grievance. So a dungeon finder would be benefical to me.

What I dislike on ninjaing are those who NEED on companion items. I'm sorry but I think the PC should have NEED preference above any companion items. Greed on those.

I did drop out of a Heroic group when the guys kept complaining that I hit greed on random green junk. To me Greed can be used for any rolls. Who cares? It's cheap junk that you can sell for credits and it's totally random who wins. Just WEIRD!

message 24: by Mark (new)

Mark Kaye | 123 comments I Have to Admit I was disapointed with SWTOR. Ok yeah the artwork rocks, and yeah as a Star Was fan it is a Star wars game. But for me it is yet another MMO where you kill 10 of the, collect 15 of that bla bla bla. I came from SWG a game very much left wanting. There was so much potential for that game but nothing was ever done about it. The most important thing for me in SWG was the fact it was a Sand Box game. It had the kill 10 of this and 15 of that thing, but it aloud you to make your own game. I just feel you can't do that with TOR.

message 25: by Jane (new)

Jane Higginson | 164 comments Usako wrote: "I admit that chatting on chans does make it more social. I /have/ managed to do Heroic quests that way. And those people I can manage to tag for other quests (sadly not dungeons since they aren't o..."

I agree with you on that Sara, and would also say that tor to me feels to much like a single player game with guild chat thrown in, my fellow guildies (who moved across from swg) all raced off and reached 50 very quickly and i was plodding along at my own speed on my own constantly and it felt like an endless grind to 50, whereas rpg's like dragon age and mass effect your not very aware of your level your enjoying the story content so much you dont even really notice!

From my brief time playing tor i think i actually preferred the sith side which is unusual for me as i always go good side lol, I didnt explore the sith side much though as I felt i always had to be on the rebublic toon as most of my guildies were there also. Im not playing tor right now and unsure if i will go back at this point

message 26: by Mark (last edited Apr 07, 2012 04:01AM) (new)

Mark Kaye | 123 comments Yeah not being aware of your level is a good thing, in MMOs you are always chasing a level to get the next new command, where as in game like DA and ME it is totally story driven. And for me the story and music are the key. Unless MMOs change then it will be a while before I go wont go back any time soon.

message 27: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 49 comments When I did my first toon on SWTOR, I wasn't too aware of the grind so much when I focused only on the class quests. Otherwise it was an annoying grind for my alt where I'm stuck at Hoth because I don't want to do anymore quests :(