Tampa Ladies Reading Group discussion

Mod Post: Getting Back on Track for 2012

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andrea (new)

Andrea First, a big welcome to our new members! As some of you know, our Founding Mod, Amanda, was feeling pulled in too many directions and transitioned leadership of the group at the end of last year. Unfortunately, I wasn't quite ready to hit the ground running so we've had a bit of a pause – Sorry!

Before we hit full speed again, this seems like a good time to change things up a little and check in with everyone about what they are looking for in a Book Club. So…a few suggestions/questions.

In-Person Meet Ups
I am willing to continue with the in-person meet ups, though we had pretty low attendance at the last few. Please let me know if the group is still interested in monthly book chat.

I know quite a few of us are in North/Northeast Tampa. We can try to find a few locations that work for everyone or rotate between a few. Also, if we continue with meet ups - let's set a standing date - such as the last Saturday of the month or the 3rd Thursday evening, etc. This would help current members plan for the next meet up and let new members know when they might want to jump in.

Book Selection
I'd like to propose we start selecting 3-4 books at a time, rather than selecting new books the month before we read them.

There are a few reasons I think this might work better. I will readily admit I'm rather frugal (some might even say cheap) and I get most of my books from the library. A little lead time would let everyone put upcoming books on hold, etc. Also, it would allow us all to plan ahead a little, perhaps starting books a little early if we know we have busy weeks ahead.

So…a few questions to get us started again!

1. Are you interested in in-person meet ups?
If so, what area of town is best for you?
What day/days work best?
Do you have a prefer to meet for coffee, brunch, at a bookstore?

2. Book Suggestions!
The group seems to have some pretty wide interests, including classics and nonfiction. Any books on your "To Read" list that you think might be more fun to explore as a group? Please post 2-3 book suggestions so we can get a poll up and books selected!

3. What is the most important thing you want in a Book Club?

Anything I missed??

message 2: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (sharearead) | 3 comments I would love to meet but I'm afraid I am a strictly PNR, I venture little from that YA, Sci-fi, dyistopian, UF & Fantastical adventure,

I an om cross creek but the Barnes and noble in wire grass would be a great place to meet

message 3: by Andrea (last edited Feb 28, 2012 04:52PM) (new)

Andrea I read a lot of YA as well and I am devouring a few different PNR series, so I'd say add a few to the suggestions list and we'll see what wins the votes!

If nothing else, I'd meet up to chat supernatural fic any old time! (I like my romances YA or "lite" but almost every supernatural series has some romance going on...)

message 4: by Nicole (last edited Feb 28, 2012 05:09PM) (new)

Nicole (sharearead) | 3 comments Oh I have A Bunch of Signed Paperbacks I could share and lend, IT's an author that I work with but as long as everyone gave them back, I use them for Promotions

message 5: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (sharearead) | 3 comments the Book is

Blood Warrior (The Alexa Montgomery Saga #1) by H.D. Gordon

message 6: by Deanna5333 (new)

Deanna5333 | 12 comments Nicole Marie wrote: "I would love to meet but I'm afraid I am a strictly PNR, I venture little from that YA, Sci-fi, dyistopian, UF & Fantastical adventure,

I an om cross creek but the Barnes and noble in wire grass w..."

B & N at Wiregrass works well for me also. Weekends are best. I can try most any kind of book>

message 7: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Excellent! I can do Wiregrass as well. Any books on your "Must Read" list, Deanna?

message 8: by Deanna5333 (new)

Deanna5333 | 12 comments Andrea wrote: "Excellent! I can do Wiregrass as well. Any books on your "Must Read" list, Deanna?"

Right now my must read list is: The Hunger Games, The Litigators, 11/22/63 but I'm up for most anything. i do get most all my books from the library. I read far too many to buy them all :)

message 9: by Andrea (new)

Andrea I LOVED the Hunger Games series. If we want to do that one first, I'd be up for a meet up late this month/early next that included seeing the movie.

message 10: by Charlene (new)

Charlene | 7 comments Ladies, it's been a while since I've been on here. I can't always meet, but I love being a part of this because I've read books that I thought I never would read.
Andrea, I love the Hunger Games reading / movie idea.
Nicole Marie, the book you suggested is on my to read books list.
Keep me updated!
Thanks Ladies!

message 11: by Deanna5333 (new)

Deanna5333 | 12 comments I'd love to do The Hunger Games idea. I am on the wait list at the library for it right now. It might be a few weeks!

message 12: by Andrea (new)

Andrea I am not huge about opening weekends. Are you all planning to go this weekend?

If not - anyone interested in scheduling a meetup for next weekend (Fri. March 30 - Sun Apr 1) to see this movie together and chat books? While there isn't a theater at Wiregrass - there is one on Bruce B Downs. I am over by Citrus Park Mall which has a nice theater as well.

Deanna - I know that doesn't leave you much time. I think my housemate gave up and got the Kindle versions of the books.

message 13: by Deanna5333 (new)

Deanna5333 | 12 comments I might be able to go this weekend. Of course I won't get to read the bok first which is ok too. Let me know what day and time and I'll see if I can make it. I can go to either theater too.

message 14: by Andrea (new)

Andrea I am in for this weekend. Perhaps Saturday?

Anyone else interested? Did the rest of you go opening weekend?

Let us know....

message 15: by Marti (new)

Marti (meve131) are y'all still meeting? I'd like to get in again. I read alot of YA, too.

message 16: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Marti - I am still game, but I've never heard back from anyone else. :(

message 17: by Marti (new)

Marti (meve131) My suggestion is to set a date, for example June 24 at B & N Wiregrass to discuss Hungar Games and movie, ask everyone to bring a list of suggested titles, and see who shows up. It looks like there was a good bit of interest for a while there.

message 18: by Deanna5333 (new)

Deanna5333 | 12 comments I'm still game too! Saw Hunger Games movie and am 1/2 way through the book.

message 19: by Marti (new)

Marti (meve131) then let's get together at B&N on the 24 th. what time?

message 20: by Deanna5333 (new)

Deanna5333 | 12 comments It would need to be after 12:30 for me.

message 21: by Andrea (new)

Andrea I would love to see this group get back on track! I can send some of my book suggestions along but I am out of town the 24th. July is looking much less crazy for me, but you all should go ahead and meet, chat, and pick a few books for our next reads!

message 22: by Charlene (new)

Charlene | 7 comments I'd love to see this get back on track too. I can't always meet, but I love the books that I have read through the group; they are definately books I wouldn't have read on my own!

message 23: by Marti (new)

Marti (meve131) ok, let's meet at B & N on Sunday the 24th at 1:00. we can talk abt HungarGames, movie, Catching Fire. bring additional titles. I'll be bringing the FL Teens Read list since I'll be reading them for work. Could also talk abt ebooks vs hardbacks, and 50 Shades of Gray, which I couln't get thru the first 50 pages. My daughter says start on page 99!

message 24: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Hope the meeting goes well. Here are my book suggestions. We had been leaning towards YA and paranormal fiction so that's what I culled from my own read list. I read a wide variety and am always on the look out for new authors, so whatever the group decides is great with me!

1. Shade (Shade, #1) by Jeri Smith-Ready - Shade - The first book of a really interesting YA paranormal series.

2. Cinder (Lunar Chronicles, #1) by Marissa Meyer - Cinder - Maybe a little more sci-fi than true paranormal, but it definitely has supernatural elements. Also, Cinderella with cyborgs. I can't emphasize enough how fun this book was.

3. Spell Bound (Hex Hall, #3) by Rachel Hawkins - Spell Bound - Book 1 of a fun series with every manor of supernatural running amok and a lead character with plenty of bravery and bravado to go around!

message 25: by Marti (new)

Marti (meve131) is anyone else planning to come tomorrow? cause I don't want to be the only one there.

message 26: by Marianne (new)

Marianne Becker (Beckermsb) | 2 comments Is this group currently meeting? I would love to know more information as to if you are meeting and where? Thanks!