Creative Reviews discussion

Smashwords Style Guide
This topic is about Smashwords Style Guide
?'s for the Members of CR > How to get a good quality conversion out of Smashwords

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephen (last edited Feb 28, 2012 03:09PM) (new)

Stephen Herfst (stephen_herfst) | 54 comments I followed their style guide to the letter, ensuring that all the aspects were covered.

I then submitted my polished word document and got flakey conversion in smashwords (varying fonts/sizes/indents). I didn't get any auto-vetter notifications, so my formatting was technically correct.

I then resorted to Jutoh and had it auto-generate a brand new clean version of my novel ...and yes, using styles (just like before). I then submit that document to smashwords and hey-presto, the same flakey conversion.

What exactly am I doing wrong? I'm tired of their lack of professionalism and quality conversion.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Stephen wrote: "I followed their style guide to the letter, ensuring that all the aspects were covered.

I then submitted my polished word document and got flakey conversion in smashwords (varying fonts/sizes/inde..."

You need to go through the smashwords guide. It's about hidden formatting, things that insert blank pages, that sort of thing. You can cut and paste the whole document into textedit, then copy and re paste it into your document and re-format from there. It does work.

Personally I think I'll get my copy editor Tricia Kristufek, to format my novel for smashwords for me. It's worth the money not to have to go through the ****.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh, right, just saw the book title with this question. So you've read it and followed it already....The meatgrinder is painful.

message 4: by Vickie (new)

Vickie McKeehan (westcoastgirl) | 35 comments I don't have trouble with the meatgrinder at Smashwords. {knock on wood}

Where I knock my head against the wall several times is dealing with the mobi format at Amazon. They screw up my dialogue (indent the second line so far in that it looks like an insert) Grrrr! so far with every book I have had to painstakingly fix it! This is after my editor has turned it into a polished doc. It drives both of us nuts.

So far, I've happened upon a way to get the dialogue from indenting. But it came with a slew of uploads and trial and error.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Vickie wrote: "I don't have trouble with the meatgrinder at Smashwords. {knock on wood}

Where I knock my head against the wall several times is dealing with the mobi format at Amazon. They screw up my dialogue ..."

Through KDP. I haven't had that problem. *knocks on wood too*

message 6: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 726 comments All this Smashwords talk is giving me a headache. What about selling your book on Smashwords? Thats gotta be a whole complex process in itself

message 7: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Echterling (authorcdecho) | 12 comments My sales on Smashwords were abysmal. I have had lots of downloads there when I offered it for free though. I mainly use it for the free coupon to send to reviewers.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

But they are the distributers. My Barnes and Noble figures through SM are great.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Justin wrote: "All this Smashwords talk is giving me a headache. What about selling your book on Smashwords? Thats gotta be a whole complex process in itself"

No. No problems working it out, only the formatting is a pain in the ****.

message 10: by C.S. Splitter (new)

C.S. Splitter | 979 comments Yeah....don't count on a lot of sales from Smashwords compared to Amazon.

I'm not knocking it, just not the same reach.

Splitter

message 11: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Tarn (barbaragtarn) C.S. Splitter wrote: "Yeah....don't count on a lot of sales from Smashwords compared to Amazon.

I'm not knocking it, just not the same reach.

Splitter"

You can get to B&N through PubIt, me and Georgina can't... we only have Smashwords! ;-) And my KDP sales are abysmal... :-D

message 12: by C.S. Splitter (new)

C.S. Splitter | 979 comments Sorry to hear that Barbara. Europe needs to decide on a format and get the publishers united.

Splitter

message 13: by Barbara (last edited Mar 02, 2012 07:50AM) (new)

Barbara Tarn (barbaragtarn) C.S. Splitter wrote: "Sorry to hear that Barbara. Europe needs to decide on a format and get the publishers united.

Splitter"

We have XinXii - it's German, and it's the European Smashwords. If you want to try the European market, sign up with them. I joined this year and no sales yet! ;-)

message 14: by Stephen (last edited Mar 02, 2012 10:23AM) (new)

Stephen Herfst (stephen_herfst) | 54 comments I fixed it. Since I had two different formats of paragraph (body text, body text first line indent), the second format wasn't getting a size directive, but the first was.

So the trick was to base the second paragraph's style on the first (instead of 'normal') to ensure that the font size was specified in the second.

I hope you were able to follow that :)

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Stephen wrote: "I fixed it. Since I had two different formats of paragraph (body text, body text first line indent), the second format wasn't getting a size directive, but the first was.

So the trick was to base ..."

Great Stephen. A relief then. :) Georgina.

message 16: by Katharina (new)

Katharina Gerlach | 5 comments The best help for formatting for Kindle is from Guido Henkel. Check out his series "Take pride in your eBook formatting"

message 17: by Marjorie (last edited Apr 23, 2012 03:50AM) (new)

Marjorie Friday Baldwin (marjoriefbaldwin) | 159 comments Katharina wrote: "The best help for formatting for Kindle is from Guido Henkel. Check out his series "Take pride in your eBook formatting""

Thank you so much for this, Katharina!! I've JUST released my book (via Smashwords) excepting out my Kindle version to do myself. I've never munged the HTML before so I was a little trepiditious about how to approach it. Now, at least, I have a reference of what to look for and what to use to do the work. Only drawback is learning Calibre. *groan* learning curves *groan* but it sure does sound like a worthwhile investment of time (once I have the time LOL)

Again, thanx for posting the link.

-Friday